Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ignorance Has No Place Here (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Ignorance Has No Place Here

that bitter brew
of burbled vitriol
splattered
wall to wall

ignorance, a stain
deep and creeping,
seeps, beats against
an old battered door

yet beyond that door
rests the place
that should not be

a place far away
were a mind soars
enlightened and free

behold the quasar
kept in an old ink jar

or dare

to follow
Captain Jim
and sail
across the bar...

seek Paul's Rock People
down the worn shore road
send a Dead Letter or
knight a humble toad

all these odd things
are little more than
ink and dreams and dust

things of think
that dwell
in a place that
reaches ear to ear

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I enjoyed the symbolism and the comparisons between objects that suggest important ideas and feelings. Stubborn toad comes to mind. Also, I liked how you gave vitriol a concrete object. It spoke to me. I have felt that feeling before. It terms on how meaningful it was to me this was my personal favorite as of today of the ones read so far. You "describe the emotion" well.

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
You are the queen of imagination- It's a delight to see a glimmer of the poets veil from the storyteller of magical realms.

This was a poem full of wonderful metaphor that a befuddled guy like me can understand. The poets ink make us think wonder and soar to the heavens. But your ink is divine....

warmest
bob

Last edited:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I do not consciously write with metaphor. I was rather ruffled when I wrote this, having encountered an especially potent form of vitriol earlier in the day. I needed to slam a door, so I picked one I knew well. I needed to walk away from the anger (even if it was justified) and the blissful, blatantly willful ignorance. I needed to remind myself that such behaviour and a mindset has no place in my bubble, so I deer checked, with an if it was there, could I do this...Slam the door on it and as Walt Dinsey said, keep moving forward.

Appreciate the reads and insights.

- D.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Ignorance Has No Place Here

that bitter brew
of burbled vitriol
splattered
wall to wall

ignorance, a stain
deep and creeping,
seeps, beats against
an old battered door

yet beyond that door
rests the place
that should not be

a place far away
were a mind soars
enlightened and free

behold the quasar
kept in an old ink jar

or dare

to follow
Captain Jim
and sail
across the bar...

seek Paul's Rock People
down the worn shore road
send a Dead Letter or
knight a humble toad

all these odd things
are little more than
ink and dreams and dust

things of think
that dwell
in a place that
reaches ear to ear

A brilliant mind, a creative spirit cannot be held captive by ignorance, hatred, rudeness and disrespect... you, DarKKin, can move freely between ugly reality and the magical world of poetry, You have THAT escape... imagine a person who has no creativity, who lacks the vision of Strangeways, who lives in a toxic world of their own hatred and anger.... now, imagine how ... maybe, that person would be, if his head was full of magical nonsense.... maybe he would dwell in that place that "reaches from ear to ear"....

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Another word that has changed its meaning in my lifetime, ignorance to me means lack of knowledge, illiterate. I would describe the person in the bookshop as 'Boorish' or 'Uncouth', an altogether more unpleasant thing.