Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I would love a critique....? (1 Viewer)

quignov

This is now slightly dated...none the less...

An Unjust Act Provides Justice

The gallows. They don’t seem like much when empty really. A series of steps leading to a small stage, and a space underneath the stage that is open and to be seen. On this particular day, however, the gallows were not empty but filled with a somber commotion.

There were four men that led the soon to be hung man to the center-front of the gallows. They wore black hoods with pieces cut out for their eyes, mouths and noses. I was unable to make out the small chatter taking place between the hooded men and the accused, as it was in arabic. The translator told me in general what the men were saying but no specifics. The hooded men were apparently taunting the unhooded man. He taunted back slightly and ridiculed their religions. The man had not shaved for several weeks. He did not seem overly worried about his fate, but was not happy either. Gently, one of the hooded wrapped a black handkerchief around the accused’s neck. He made sure that it nicely fit his neck. He quickly followed this by placing the noose around the man, and pulling it so that it was snug and fit nice. There was 3 or 4 feet of length to the noose laying on the stage next to the man. There were people standing near the front of the stage speaking in arabic. I do not know if they were speaking to the accused or to each other but there were bits of chatter going on. The accused now stood nearly motionless, speaking in a low voice. I could make out the word “Mohammed” every 2 or 3 second. The translator said that the accused was saying “God is great, God is great, God is great”. With no warning there was a loud CRASH, and banging of metal. In retrospect it was the sound of the trap door falling out from underneath the accused’s feet. I saw the man’s face as he fell, the few remaining micro-seconds of his life. His face grimmaced tightly, and you could tell that his entire body clenched, flexing every muscle in his face as he fell. I can still see this sight in slow motion repeatedly going through my head. I wish I had not seen the incident I am describing. Now the onlookers were yelling out “mohammed ……. Mohammed” not in unison, but one here said it, then one over there said it. The gallows were dark. The occasional photograph was taken. It was at these times that I saw the accused man’s head in the flash from the camera. Numerous still images are what I recall, as a result of this eerily appropriate effect. His head was hung awkwardly and unnaturally to the angle of the noose. You could tell that his body was slowly swinging, devoid of effort, from side to side. The man’s face was expressionless, eyes closed, and no longer clenching his muscles.

Not many people would argue if I said that the worst crime one can commit to another is murder. Murder is inherently an unjust act. The taking of another human beings life. No matter the reasons that one makes justification for, or even if by accident, murder is inherently wrong. A man commited murder at the gallows that day. He commited an unjust act. No matter how one spins it, the executioner is a murderer. The end. Therefore, he has commited and unjust act, and is therefore an unjust person.

Many people are happy that Saddam is now dead. Previous to watching the video I did not think much about it. I hear of death and murder on a frequent basis, as most of us do. It didn’t cross my mind that I might not want to watch the video. So the question is, was justice served? Even myself, being against the death penalty, would say yes justice was served. Most people would.

So it is seen that an unjust act can provide justice. However, does this mean that the executioner is a just man? No not at all. You can not undo an unjust act by using a justification. You can make attempt to make an unjust act “right” with a justification, but you can not undo the unjust act or change what it is. He unjustly took another man’s life but did it in the name of justice. I believe, to many of Saddam’s followers, that Saddam committed justice when he gassed the kurdish town in his former Iraq. That did not make him a just man. I understand that many think Justice was served by this unjust act, and I for the most part agree with that statement. I do not, however, agree with the death penalty.

-quignov (1/3/07)

thanks much ya'll....oh, by the way this is my first post and I hope to be posting more often on this forum

peace and love, quigs

fashionablyinsane

Honestly, I thought this was well written in the context of a fictional story, but too artistic for world news, especially of a caliber such as Saddam Hussein's execution. I feel that when dealing with highly publicised pieces where the competition will be pumping out the same story, you need to get to the point faster- think first sentence. There was nothing in your first paragraph to tell the readers what it is EXACTLY you are going to discuss. However, you did make some good points on the logic behind executions.

quignov

Flexbile Garphite said:
Are you saying you think gassing Kurds was justified?

no. I was not at all saying that. I was stating that 'others' may think that it was justified....in the same sense that "we" believe killing saddam was justified. It is all dependent on your "position"....Sorry I thought that I made it clear that I am against the death penalty...but I looked at that sentence and I see that it could be written more clearly. Thanks for your comment.

cheers, Quig