Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I would have to be crazy... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
Many years ago I wrote a book I had been visualizing for a decade or more. I liked it...but it was just not right. I was a new writer and my stuff was not commercial grade yet. Never sold that book, but kept a copy.

Decade later I wrote it again, from the ground up, new protagonist, 100% rewrite. I Indie-published that book. It sold like crap. It still was not right. Just wasn't right. In 2019 I unpublished it on all platforms.

So ever since, I have been filled with the urge to write it properly...for the third [email protected]#! time. I would have to be crazy to write the same book 3 times...right?

Yet the OCD in me won't let go of it. I want to tell this story properly. I want to tell the story of the unseen hand.

I should prolly take my meds.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
It's *your* book and I imagine you want it to be the best it can be. I'd say go for it-- for the third time or the fifth just so you finally get it just as you want it. But remember, most of us are never quite satisfied with anything we write. Most of us forever see ways a piece could be improved. Sometimes it might be the wiser choice just to be satisfied with the last version and shoot for a new book altogether.

I like your unseen hand idea. One of my favorite magical realism pieces is about a hand that gets away from its owner and takes on a life of its own. I'm working on a short story about a woman whose eye separates from her head and causes all sorts of trouble for those around her. I guess I like the notion of body parts that separate from their owners.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I was just looking at a shelf in my office and saw an old zip-drive that holds books I wrote but never published nearly 40 years ago. I'm curious about those tales, but kinda frightened by the utter lack of skill in which they were written.

Maybe I have an old zip-drive reader around here... I have a feeling I shouldn't look though... what to do?

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I have actually restarted the book...multiple times. I believe I even posted an alternate beginning here on the forum.
But they are just Meh...just a plain-jane retelling of the story.
I need to make it...more.
I have been struggling for the vision but it always leads back to the same boring method of storytelling.

Maybe I should write it as a script?

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I was just looking at a shelf in my office and saw an old zip-drive that holds books I wrote but never published nearly 40 years ago. I'm curious about those tales, but kinda frightened by the utter lack of skill in which they were written.

Maybe I have an old zip-drive reader around here... I have a feeling I shouldn't look though... what to do?

At least copy the files over to more reliable media while you decide - or write a horror story called Iomega: click of death.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
At least copy the files over to more reliable media while you decide - or write a horror story called Iomega: click of death.

Too frightening for me to contemplate...
The Desolation of Wordstar
The Fellowship of Unix - characters being grep, awk, sed, nroff, troff, wc, uniq...

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Ralph, you have my sympathies.
Maybe what you need is a second eye to kick start the new version. If you have knowledge of the whereabouts of the post and can PM me a link I would willingly give it a poke and see what shakes out of it.
BC
Many years ago I wrote a book I had been visualizing for a decade or more. I liked it...but it was just not right. I was a new writer and my stuff was not commercial grade yet. Never sold that book, but kept a copy.

Decade later I wrote it again, from the ground up, new protagonist, 100% rewrite. I Indie-published that book. It sold like crap. It still was not right. Just wasn't right. In 2019 I unpublished it on all platforms.

So ever since, I have been filled with the urge to write it properly...for the third [email protected]#! time. I would have to be crazy to write the same book 3 times...right?

Yet the OCD in me won't let go of it. I want to tell this story properly. I want to tell the story of the unseen hand.

I should prolly take my meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.