Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I want to compare a marriage with a city (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinoutd

Hello all.

I want to compare a marriage with a city and express the idea that they are similar in some ways.

Would you say this works?

Jane looked out the window at the shining city. In a way, Monaco mirrored her marriage. It looked glitzy and glamorous from the outside, but inside it was flat and passionless. People who didn't live in Monaco were jealous of those who lived there, much like Jane's friends were jealous of her marriage. For Jane, life couldn't be more boring. She just floated along the flatness of her marriage and the city.

What other verbs can I use instead of "mirror"? Generally, are there other ways I can express the idea?

Turnbull

Perhaps describe the city, and then have Jane mutter later that it's like her marriage. Or describe the city, and then show the marriage, and let the reader connect the two.

MooreMom523

To live in Monaco was to know that behind the glitz and glamor spread a flat and passionless landscape. A city that inspired the jealousy of those on the outside looking in but bred boredom and mind-numbing repetition of daily tasks for those within its boundaries. For these truths to abound in the city where Jane lived was one thing, but to have this reality seeping into her marriage was another.

Just thoughts inspired by the original. Sorry if it is no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.