Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I never started... (1 Viewer)

Rabid Euphoria

...because I'm lost in trying to understand the point in participating. Writing, in my experience, isn't something I can just pick up and do and go nuts on. In order to write my mood has to be exact and inspiration in full effect. I can't turn it on and write a novel in a month like this. With Jobs/school I'd be wasting my attempting this.

I'd like to do it but it seems improbable...not to mention I'd have to be looking for a new project in timing with this. Anyone else have issues with this aspect of it?

Writer Kitten

I'm lost in trying to understand the point in participating.

NaNo doesn't have a point. Or it does, but the point is simple: "Sit your ass down and write." That's it. That's the only "point" to the whole thing.

If you're looking for some deep and meaningful philosophy, NaNo isn't for you.

alanmt

WF Veterans
It sounds like your ability to write is very narrow and focused. Nano expands that. You write so much so fast, and then you go back later (after the month is over or you have reached over 50,000 and the end) and you come across passages that are quite bad, and then you edit them and turn them into gems, increasing your editing skills, but you also come across bits you barely remember writing that are wonderful, expressive and flowing, and you think "Did I do that?"

And you complete a project of such a magnitutde that the completion is impressive in and of itself.

I am all fired up - off to my writin in 90 minutes!

Rabid Euphoria

It's not my ability to write is expanded and focused but writing tires me out. I have written close to a NaNoWriMo entry in a month before, when inspiration is at a max. I don't think I can just write for the sake of participating...timing would have to be write. If I was about to start a new novel at the time, I would try it.

JollyMinstrel

Practice makes Permanent (so practice right)

Okay, so it's not your bag, baby, yeah.

Go do your thing and be groovy, eh?

Those of us who enjoy NaNo will do so... you can keep the rain clouds in your own back yard.

It's called an exercise in writing. You may finish, you may not, but you will learn much about yourself, your writing, your characters, and what you are actually capable of. I'm also a musician and I play every day. Even when it's boring and tedious. I do the same with my writing. It's a job. Sometimes, well, most of the time, I absolutely love it. Then there are times when I look at the screen and wonder what in the world am I going to write today. Why can't I just take today off. What could I possibly write while in this mood, that would be any good to anyone? It's at that time when I force myself to do my job that I find out what I am. I am a writer. I must write or my skill declines, just as I must practice my music every day or my skill declines. If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for a week, my band knows it. If I don't practice for two weeks, my audience knows it. If I only write when I'm in the mood, I don't grow as a writer.

...and that's my $0.02

Rabid Euphoria

I'm well enough informed of what my characters can do. I wrote a hundred + pages in five weeks a few months ago. When the floodgate it open I can write and write and write but then sometimes, it just closes and it's difficult sometimes not to write, but have it flowing out and writing pages in a single day. My story was writing itself, changing under my hands.

Writing fast, doesn't necessarily mean writing good. This exercise may work for you and for others but for me it does not. I've noticed my best work come from when I take the try to try and say what I mean, though it may only come out a page at a time. Lest we forget people hit blocks all the time.

I'm just saying, if you need something like NaNoWriMo in order to sit down and write...what are you waiting for the other 11 months of the year? Writing is something to do close to every day. When I started writing I tried this but for a young writer it's quite a formidable task. Knowing that I can do it, the appeal to do it has been lost. Besides, I'm writing because I've got stories inside my head I want out and because I want to scare people and shock people.

I'm a bit shocked in my treatment in this thread, simply because I don't participate in this. Being talked to as if I'm green.

Writer Kitten

I'm well enough informed of what my characters can do. I wrote a hundred + pages in five weeks a few months ago. When the floodgate it open I can write and write and write but then sometimes, it just closes and it's difficult sometimes not to write, but have it flowing out and writing pages in a single day. My story was writing itself, changing under my hands.

Writing fast, doesn't necessarily mean writing good. This exercise may work for you and for others but for me it does not. I've noticed my best work come from when I take the try to try and say what I mean, though it may only come out a page at a time. Lest we forget people hit blocks all the time.

I'm just saying, if you need something like NaNoWriMo in order to sit down and write...what are you waiting for the other 11 months of the year? Writing is something to do close to every day. When I started writing I tried this but for a young writer it's quite a formidable task. Knowing that I can do it, the appeal to do it has been lost. Besides, I'm writing because I've got stories inside my head I want out and because I want to scare people and shock people.

I'm a bit shocked in my treatment in this thread, simply because I don't participate in this. Being talked to as if I'm green.

Erm. You're the one who started a thread stating you didn't understand the point in participating. Several people (including myself) have stated the reason for participating.

It's not that I don't write for the other 11 months of the year, I just like participating in NaNo, because it's the one time of the year that most of my non-writer friends actually write and we can commiserate on characters, plot and woeful loss of focus.

If NaNo isn't for you, fine. I'm a little confused as to why you began the thread, if you didn't want people to tell you their reason for participating. There are tonnes of other places you could post; why pick the only one dedicated to NaNo on this forum?

JollyMinstrel

Down, Simba! There's a big pink elephant in the living room here...let's take care of it instead of ignoring it.

I'm very happy for you that you write so many brilliant pages so quickly. Let me know where I can buy your book.

You're the one who kick-started this engine. Nobody is talking down to you or criticizing your method of writing. And if we're going THERE.... how DARE you criticize anyone else's. Apparently, you don't see the fun in doing an exercise in which you get to spew out 50k of garbage in 30 days. Along the way, we meet other writers, discover new resources and get a challenge we might not otherwise have. I, myself, have never had such a deadline in my professional life, nor would I care for one if I had to have a "finished" product. Still, this exercise is a great way to do mental pushups. If you had read the NaNo guidelines, you would already know it is about QUANTITY, not QUALITY. NaNo is also a great tool to encourage young or new writers to get into it and see what they are actually capable of producing. The staff at NaNo support many educational opportunities that promote writing in schools and communities. Why would you openly criticize something like that?

Now, in answer to your comment about the other 11 months (which I find insultingly amusing), I write every single day of the year, no matter what the circumstances. I am an award-winning and published author, but who cares what I accomplished yesterday; I'm focused on doing it again tomorrow. I will not comment on your method of writing, only your method of writing about the way other writers write. I write mainly fiction. Does that mean that the author who focuses on nonfiction is wrong? Of course not. So BACK OFF. If you can't encourage someone, keep it to yourself. You don't want to do it? So what? Don't do it and be on your happy way.

Like I said in my previous post:
Okay, so it's not your bag, baby, yeah.

Go do your thing and be groovy, eh?

Those of us who enjoy NaNo will do so... you can keep the rain clouds in your own back yard.

And FYI... there are a few well-known, highly successful authors taking part also. And they take the time to encourage their fellow participants. You know, like Sue Grafton... I've got an email in my inbox from her... the same as every other participant, with some great insight into her writing methods and personal struggles with the contest. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Rabid Euphoria

Down, Simba! There's a big pink elephant in the living room here...let's take care of it instead of ignoring it.

I'm very happy for you that you write so many brilliant pages so quickly. Let me know where I can buy your book.

Sarcasm and condescension will not fare well against me.

You're the one who kick-started this engine. Nobody is talking down to you or criticizing your method of writing. And if we're going THERE.... how DARE you criticize anyone else's. Apparently, you don't see the fun in doing an exercise in which you get to spew out 50k of garbage in 30 days. Along the way, we meet other writers, discover new resources and get a challenge we might not otherwise have. I, myself, have never had such a deadline in my professional life, nor would I care for one if I had to have a "finished" product. Still, this exercise is a great way to do mental pushups. If you had read the NaNo guidelines, you would already know it is about QUANTITY, not QUALITY. NaNo is also a great tool to encourage young or new writers to get into it and see what they are actually capable of producing. The staff at NaNo support many educational opportunities that promote writing in schools and communities. Why would you openly criticize something like that?

Please point out where I started this 'engine' as you put it (I can see why you're a published author). In your excursion you may discover that it was you and you're 'hey, it's groovy' talk. Everything was chilled before you got in here. I say 'I don't like to particpate and why' and here come you walking in high and mighty defending your beloved NaNoWriMo.

Now, in answer to your comment about the other 11 months (which I find insultingly amusing), I write every single day of the year, no matter what the circumstances. I am an award-winning and published author, but who cares what I accomplished yesterday; I'm focused on doing it again tomorrow. I will not comment on your method of writing, only your method of writing about the way other writers write. I write mainly fiction. Does that mean that the author who focuses on nonfiction is wrong? Of course not. So BACK OFF. If you can't encourage someone, keep it to yourself. You don't want to do it? So what? Don't do it and be on your happy way.

When I said 'you' I meant to whomever read it - it was general. I never bashed anyone or their method of writing nor was I searching for a sermon or a reason to particpate. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there had trouble finding inspiration simply because 'It's NaNoWriMo'. I apologize you took everything I said the wrong way...but perhaps it illustrates wonders on your person. When I talked about 'the 11 other months' it was in relation to what makes NaNoWriMo so special if you do that ALREADY? That was all. You took offense to it and that is not my problem. However, I do have a problem with you standing on your pedastal, with your award and your published work, pointing a condescending finger in my direction.

Me writing about the way other's write? You put more words in my mouth than number of breaths I take in a day. Find it funny how you're doing the same thing to me...hypocrite?

'If you'd already read the NaNo guidelines'...nice line. you make it sound as if I hadn't read them half dozen times in my life. So would a photographer take shots of anything for excercise? A tree, a rock...it's all good? Writing 175 pages of drivel isn't my idea of a productive exercise. I'd rather write 60 pages I'm happy with in a month and push extra hard for something half as good.

And FYI... there are a few well-known, highly successful authors taking part also. And they take the time to encourage their fellow participants. You know, like Sue Grafton... I've got an email in my inbox from her... the same as every other participant, with some great insight into her writing methods and personal struggles with the contest. Hmmm.

Who the hell is Sue Grafton? Congrats on getting a mandatory e-mail from a 'famous' (don't know her) author. Does it make you feel special? Regardless of what the famous Sue Grafton does, says or struggles with...I'm losing the point of your very long post. Are you trying to coerce me to particpate in NaNoWriMo or prove I'm wrong with a brilliant name drop like Sue Grafton?

Since you(and I mean you) love NaNoWriMo and doesn't have any issues with it, why are you even in this thread? It doesn't pertain to you in any shape or form. What is your published name so I make a mental note to not buy a book written from a condescending, hypocritical person such as yourself.

Now, back on topic. Does anyone else besides me have trouble discovering the inspiration to participate? If you do, why is that?

Last edited:

Writer Kitten

How about Neil Gaiman? Know who he is? He also sent an email to WriMo participants. Also; I notice you didn't answer me. You original post:

...because I'm lost in trying to understand the point in participating. Writing, in my experience, isn't something I can just pick up and do and go nuts on. In order to write my mood has to be exact and inspiration in full effect. I can't turn it on and write a novel in a month like this. With Jobs/school I'd be wasting my attempting this.

I'd like to do it but it seems improbable...not to mention I'd have to be looking for a new project in timing with this. Anyone else have issues with this aspect of it?

And then your subsequent posts were horribly condescending. You don't know who Sue Grafton is? Fine. You're obviously on the internet. Google it. I didn't recognise her name either. Less than one second with Google and I went "Oh. I know who that is!"

Then you end your last post with this

Now, back on topic. Does anyone else besides me have trouble discovering the inspiration to participate? If you do, why is that?

That's... not what your topic was. And if it was, you asked it in a way that was misconstrued by others here, meaning that you failed to get your point across.

To answer that question, despite you not answering mine; no. I don't have any trouble finding the inspiration. If nothing else, I have my snippets/idea folder that can be gone to in times of drought.

JollyMinstrel

rain, rain...go away...

(I hope you don't mind, but I made a few basic corrections in your quotes.)

I'm not on a pedestal, sorry to have come across that way. Truly. Please accept my apology on that point. Also, I'm not criticizing your method of writing, merely pointing out that from your perspective, you can't see the value in the way anyone else works. And I very much doubt you would enjoy the stories I've published. You see, the people who read my work know how the subject and verb are supposed to agree ("Since you(and I mean you) love NaNoWriMo and doesn't have any issues with it,...").

And lookie here, another nice quote from you: "Sarcasm and condescension will not fare well against me." Question: Am I trying to fare well against you? or ... just, ahem, "farewell" ? (that was a joke...couldn't resist...this debate IS all in fun, eh? I laugh at your posts, you laugh at mine...humor is essential)

Another jewel from our eloquent host on this thread; "Everything was chilled before you got in here. I say [said] 'I don't like to particpate [participate] and why' and here come you [you come] walking in high and mighty defending your beloved NaNoWriMo."

This thread was, as you say, "chilled" since you came in with a cold shoulder. I understand why you don't participate and I am not criticizing your view. I am, however, going to defend myself and others who participate against being criticized as codependent lemmings unable to summon the skill to produce a project without it. You've wrapped NaNo participants in a wet blanket and summarily disregarded anything that may come from the exercise. Your view is narrow-minded and unsupported. Your writing may be great; who knows? That's not the issue here. We are doing something we love, and that is writing.

And yet one more quote to which I deign to respond (yes, that's dramatic sarcasm, lol): "Me writing about the way other's write? You put more words in my mouth than number of breaths I take in a day. [ I find ] Find it funny how you're doing the same thing to me...hypocrite?" You implied that the very basis of the exercise is beneath your 'style'. I merely replied that your style is not the only one out there and that you should not criticize what you don't understand. A hypocrite is one who pretends to be something that he or she is not. I'm not sure that the term hypocrite applies to either you or me here. As far as I can tell, you have been yourself here, as have I.

Enough fun, now back to the original post and the issues therein.

The issues here are whether the National Novel Writing Month activity is worthwhile ("I'm lost in trying to understand the point in participating"), doable (" I'd like to do it but it seems improbable..."), and effective in expanding a writer's point of view as to what he/she can accomplish in 30 days ("In order to write my mood has to be exact and inspiration in full effect.") Then you asked: "Anyone else have issues with this aspect of it?" {all quotes from the original post}

I think you've received your answer: a resounding "NOPE!"

Please note that this is not a personal attack against you. I meant it when I said that your writing might be great. I don't know. I do believe that anyone who takes up pen and paper, word processor, computer, laptop or even a tape recorder, and creates something that didn't exist until that point... that person should be applauded and encouraged, not criticized or demeaned. NaNo is a month-long love affair with writing. We spend our time dreaming, thinking, scheming, gossipping about our stories and the words we choose. For thirty days we give up going to the movies; we get fast food instead of cooking; we buy out all the coffee at the grocery store, just so we can spend time with our stories and push ourselves to the limit and see what we are really capable of doing. So do I love NaNo? Heck Yeah! Do I think it's right for everyone? Heck No. I am not trying to convince anyone to participate if they don't want to, but if someone hasn't tried it... give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose and you may find out you've got more ideas than before.

I wish you well in your writing.

Rabid Euphoria

you're still going on about this? Do you not get enough attention away from a computer screen? Still you don't get it. I'll say it in one setence, blunt and straight forward. 'Why would people try so hard for this if they don't write the rest of the year? To people who write all year long this is just another day at the office, just a busier stretch of time.

You don't know who Sue Grafton is? Fine. You're obviously on the internet. Google it. I didn't recognise her name either. Less than one second with Google and I went "Oh. I know who that is!"

I did and sorry, no recollection there. T is for Trespass sounds delightfully lame.

Jillysomething said:
You've got nothing to lose and you may find out you've got more ideas than before.

It's little comments like this, from you, I don't like. You talk to me as I have no ideas and through NaNo I may discover that I suddenly have ideas.

You implied that the very basis of the exercise is beneath your 'style'. I merely replied that your style is not the only one out there and that you should not criticize what you don't understand.

So I don't understand NaNo now, huh? All I said is that I'm not going to exhaust myself and take pleasure away from my life just to go into overdrive for some lame concept like this. Writing is enjoyable to me and time constraints and deadlines simply take the enjoyment out of it. I'd rather spend six months writing A NaNo book than cram it into a month. I never said it's beneath my style (again, putting words into my mouth, like before). I know more about NaNo than you know about MY style so how about YOU don't criticize what YOU don't understand.

This thread was, as you say, "chilled" since you came in with a cold shoulder. I understand why you don't participate and I am not criticizing your view. I am, however, going to defend myself and others who participate against being criticized as codependent lemmings unable to summon the skill to produce a project without it. You've wrapped NaNo participants in a wet blanket and summarily disregarded anything that may come from the exercise. Your view is narrow-minded and unsupported. Your writing may be great; who knows? That's not the issue here. We are doing something we love, and that is writing.

You should change your username to Jolly Miscontrues. I know there are people out there who only get serious about writing (I've talked to enough in my day) when NaNo is on. Talk about a waste of time and brain power. I understand there are serious authors who want a challenge but many people work at it for naught. It's not difficult to write 175 pages in a months, especially when the challenge advertises you will most likely write garbage. So 5 pages of half ass writing a day isn't too difficult for me to manage. Two hours a day and I've got it done, especially if it doesn't need to be edited, revised or even good!

My view is narrow-minded because I don't like NaNo, is what you've said every post. I haven't wrapped all the participants in a wet blanket, if anything I'm talking down the contest (or challenge) itself and not those who take part in it. If you like it, don't take my attack on something you like, personally. It's like someone got mad at me on a forum, for taking the 'ultimate star wars quiz' and not knowing what a 'nerf herder' was as I thought princess leia had always said 'nerve hurter'. They were like 'you are stupid, she says nerf' and I say 'wtf is a nerf?' and they say a 'space cow' and reply 'where does it inform you of this' and they supply me with Star Wars trading cards and 'The Essential Guide to Alien Species of Star Wars' and I'm thinking 'wow, because I'm not crazy enough to get all this hardcore Star Wars stuff I'm a retard' and I just laughed.

I've tried NaNo before, it wasn't for me. The last three years I've been in the middle of something and I don't just drop a project. Perhaps next year I will have the availability for it.

Lost in Some Story

Writing, in my experience, isn't something I can just pick up and do and go nuts on. In order to write my mood has to be exact and inspiration in full effect. I can't turn it on...With Jobs/school I'd be wasting my attempting this.

Inspiration is as fickle as love. Sometimes it's there. Sometimes it's not. Writing a novel isn't about pretty feelings and chasing your muse. It's work, and it's fucking hard. Of course you feel drained after writing like crazy. I always do. I also rarely ever feel inspired to write. I do it anyway, thinking the whole time, "This is shit, this is shit, this is shit." But you know what? After a couple of hours sitting at a keyboard loathing myself and feeling completely uninspired, if I keep my fingers moving I have a couple thousand words pecked out.

I've never done NaNo before. But I do see the point. It's an exercise in self discipline. Write so many words a day, no matter how you feel, and watch your word count grow.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh. It's just that the whole inspiration excuse really bugs me. If you want to be inspired, go watch a play or listen to music or eat chocolate cake. Writing isn't about being inspired.

Lost

Rabid Euphoria

It's not that I look for a muse or inspiration, I passed that stage a over a year ago when I first began writing my book. Im in the end of my book and I'm being very careful in my last thirty pages so that what I've been trying to say the whole book comes across.

My point with NaNo is I need to have an idea and a general means to accomplish it. I can't simply begin writing and see how it turns out. My time is very important to me and using so much of it to create something whose point isn't to be good isn't worth my time.

I don't think it's entirely good practise to be convinced you're writing shit your whole session, you should work on that.

JollyMinstrel

In your original post you said, "...because I'm lost in trying to understand the point in participating." That directly states that you don't fully understand NaNo. Why, then, do you take offense when I reiterate that in my posts to you? I and others here have answered your assertions and given you our opinions on why we participate and you ave countered by insisting that it is a waste of time.

Dude, seriously, chill. I'm not against you at all. I am not against whatever method you use to write. I'm not against anyone who writes. All I'm trying to say here is that you should not criticize what works for others, just as I will not criticize what works for you. What I am against is someone asserting, in a blanket statement, that NaNo is a waste of time and resources. That statement inherently implies that those who take part are wasting time and resources. That is flawed logic since the evidence overwhelmingly contradicts that point. I am also not asserting that NaNo is for everyone. You said it doesn't work for you..fine. That doesn't mean it is a waste.

I have not belittled anyone's (even your) method of writing. I have now repeatedly offered my support to all writers and any method they choose, including NaNo. What I have answered here is your post asking how others feel about the issues you listed. I have made my case, and you have supported nearly every point I have made and have contradicted your own arguments. If you continue to debate the issue, please do so with consistency, and research your points before you make them. (This is a very important skill when writing a book, too, btw.)

This thread could be a venue for healthy debate on methods of writing, including NaNo, including your own, including mine (which, by the way, does not follow the NaNo rubric). I am interested in the way other people approach their writing, but not when they insist that their way is the only right way. Sure, there are disciplines involved, but each person has his or her own method of incorporating them into productivity as a writer.

Oh, and you may not have heard of Sue Grafton, but her books really did start with "A"..she's all the way up to "T" and they've all been published and very well received. She's doing something right. Wouldn't you like to know about successful authors and learn from their success? There's always something new to learn.

And wow, I really do get enough attention aside from the computer screen, but thank you for your concern. It's just been a while since a fun debate like this has just dropped in my lap. Now, would you care to answer my arguments instead of attacking my character?

Sorry, one more thing: You seem to think that people who disagree with you are insulting you. If I make the statement: "Those who disagree with me are insulting me," then it would logically follow that since you have disagreed with us (NaNo participants), you are insulting us (NaNo participants). Is that the point you're trying to make? Please clarify. This is not personal, although personal information is peppered throughout on both sides. This is about the issues that you have raised. You asked for opinions and you got them. (Be careful what you ask for.... lol)

Now, on a personal level, I can see your passion and your vision for your writing and I am encouraged by your enthusiasm and your willingness to put yourself on the line for what you believe. I would not be surprised to see you in print at some point, but from what I've read of your writing (yes, I have actually read what you wrote), your talent is there, but some basic writing skills need to be developed a bit more. You have a great imagination and a good way with descriptive narrative. Please don't close the door on things that are alien to you. You take great risks in your writing, and that can work to the benefit of your book; why not also take great chances with your skill and open yourself up to new ideas. I'm not talking about NaNo, I'm talking about school, college, training in your craft. You have a great potential and taking a class or two, if you're willing to listen to someone you disagree with, can push you to greater heights. I wish you the best. Honest.

Writer Kitten

You wouldn't happen to be the same guy that works on the web comic Two Lumps would you?

I've tried NaNo before, it wasn't for me. The last three years I've been in the middle of something and I don't just drop a project. Perhaps next year I will have the availability for it.

Okay, that's fair. Why does it bother you that some of the rest of us like doing it?

My time is very important to me and using so much of it to create something whose point isn't to be good isn't worth my time.

But... It's not your time that's being spent. It's someone else's. Why bother with how they spend their time as long as it doesn't infringe on your time?

Kane

If your time is so important to you, why do you keep posting in this thread, letting us all know how big a waste of time NaNo is? It's simple... if you aren't interested in NaNo, don't participate. But, you're in here whining about. Why?

playstation60

Most writers follow the ideology that it's quality over quantity, when going about their regular writing. We agonize over every detail, research until some of us reach expert status on a given topic. Basically we bore ourselves to death with everything but writing. We allow ourselves to make up more and more excuses NOT to write the piece. "I need to research, or this character seems flat" etc... Nano is the opposite. It's put your butt in the seat and write. You're given 30 days (720 hours) to write 50,000 words. It's QUANTITY over quality.

For the most of the rest of us jump into Nano for that excuse to write for the sake of writing, to write WITHOUT the restrictions that we place on ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread