Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I never really wanted to be a writer (1 Viewer)

Elurin

Hi. I'm sort of new to the forum. I've posted a couple of things that were well received and for everyone that read them - thank you.

At the age of 11 I found my true passion in life. I wanted to be a director! I watched all the "behind the scenes stuff" and realized the first thing I needed was a script. But at the age of 11 scripts were not plentiful so the first thing on my list of things to do was to get my hands on one - which meant writing one. It's been a long time now and I still haven't gotten past step one. I keep telling myself "any day now".

I didn't graduate from high school, haven't been to college, never took a writing class, and failed English miserably. I know what a noun and a verb are, even though if you were to ask me the definition of each - you'd get a "deer in the headlights" look. I'm just thrilled I can form a complete sentence.

I came from a very abusive household, a very violent childhood, and writing became my escape. I would wrap myself in a world that I would create and put down on paper the people that I saw and the conversations they had. That is the easiest way I can describe how I came upon this "craft". When I was a child it was a way of escaping my world, but as I grew older it became a way for me to find myself. A way for me to discover who I am with each character that I wrote, realizing that they were an extension of me.

I will never call myself a writer. Writers are highly educated, brilliant, and talented. I wouldn't fool myself into believing I am any of those things. It is something I will reach for and will probably never grasp but I have been bitten by the bug and will continue writing, no matter how bad I am at it.

Last edited:
F

Funkeh

That sounds like a tough childhood, but considering you've been writing for a reasonable amount of time, I'm sure you're quite good at it. Besides, you have come to the right place to improve and to receive feedback.

Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Elurin

There are alot of things about my childhood that were horrible but the one thing I will always cherish is the time I spent writing. I never would have discovered the writer within if everything outside had been picture perfect.

mammamaia

greetings, el... and welcome!...

you don't have to just keep playing around with the idea of writing a script, you know... i mentor lots of aspiring screenwriters, so if you want to learn how to write a screenplay, just drop me a line... i also have lots of info and tips from the pros on the basics of the craft that i can forward to you, if you want them...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]