Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I need a recommendation for an antivirus or help to solve this problem. (1 Viewer)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Computer virus.jpg

What can I do to help fix my computer? What antivirus should I use? Or is this a language misconfiguration? It is ether an Asian language or gibberish. This happened after I downloaded these pictures of my father's heart scans from a cd. I need your help in picking an anti-virus. I would really appreciate if it didn't process or use up a lot of the computer's memory when running. The one I tried last was Macfee and it had my computer fan sounding loudly. I need something that doesn't take up much of the computer's resources. I am running windows defender and it hasn't finished scanning the whole computer. Thanks in advance.

System
Processor. Intel(R) Core<TM) i7-7500U CPU ® 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System. x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Last edited:

robertn51

Friends of WF
That looks like a Windows 10 desktop, so...

Malwarebytes
"malwarebytes.com" (I'd make it link but it puts a promo in)
Free version
Light weight
Plays well with Windows Defender

Also check Settings -> Time & Language -> Language
(Something on that CD, perhaps an auto-run, might have diddled in there)

Also have you installed the latest Windows 10 21H1 update?
(might not be needed)

And in Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> View Optional Updates check the Drivers option, too. Font messes are typically display driver probs, but I don't expect that given your situation.

Luck!

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Many thanks roebertn51. That solved my problem. After I updated windows now the gibberish text is gone or font messes. I have the very latest version. I updated in hopes they addressed these problems and it worked. I will keep Malwarebytes in mind. Thanks for the thoughtful response. It seems you guessed right on the display driver problems. I appreciate your awesome post. I will keep it in mind for future reference. The strange thing is it offered a windows update a little bit after I turned on the computer and scanned Windows this morning, but yes you were right in that I needed to update to the latest version in systems security settings. Stay safe and thanks.