Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I joined (1 Viewer)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi Cassie,

I completed the challenge last year, and it was tough. The only piece of advice I can offer is to make sure you complete the daily word count of about 1670. Because I spent a week in France, lost two days travelling and then became very ill I ended up completing the challenge in two weeks. Once I hit the 50,000 words I can't even begin to describe the incredible sense of achievement. Unfortunately, I am unable to take part this year but it's certainly in the diary for next,

I completed the first draft of my novel, and NaNo challenge by using the Stream Of Consciousness technique. It does not suit everyone, but I found it useful.

Good luck with NaNo and please don't forget to keep us informed of your progress. :)

PiP

Gargh

WF Veterans
I joined last year too. The feeling of completion, if you've never got that far before, is well worth it.

I would advise you to trust the process, as cliched as that sounds, and find some way to truly believe that it does not matter if what you write is perfect - the exercise is in getting the story out without being too self-critical. You can edit later.

I would also suggest you go to any local meetings you can for support and encouragement. I didn't last year and felt like I missed out because during the online write-ins a lot of people already knew each other.

The best advice I have for getting the daily count done is twofold;

• Stop while you're still going - that way you have a jumping off point for the next day. I would even write a few notes for myself after the last paragraph as to where I thought it was going. It was more helpful than anything else I did and gave me a chance to think the story through overnight. It's a really good habit to develop anyway, for working your writing around life.
  • If you can, without drying out, write one or two hundred extra words every now and then. It will give you some leeway if you have to miss a day for any reason and it will also give you some perspective on how you would manage catching up if you got really behind.

Good luck!

Raptor980

I'm joining too. I don't really care if I win or lose. To me, it's all about personal goals. If I could break 10,000 words, I'd be happy as a clam. :)

Of course, I'm shooting for the full 50k though.

egpenny

I completed the challenge last year, too. It is a great feeling to hit that mark. Take the advice above and write, have fun with it. If you need to research anything, do it now, before you start... You can't start writing, but you can get everything ready to go.

Arrow

I've done it for five years, rarely any of the work is good enough to keep for me, but it's always fun. Best advice though? Have fun, don't do any editing, if you get stuck visit the forums find the dare thread and pick one to use. When I got stuck, I picked the dare of including fortune cookies as a major plot point. I worked it in there, it gave me an entire chapter, and the cookies were only there for a paragraph. Best of it, I liked that chapter, so it has stuck through the many editing sprees.

cassie30

Now the question is can you use a short story you've started or does it have to be from scratch?

egpenny

It's supposed to be from scratch. Having said that, you could probably get away with adding the word count you already have to the 50000 and go for it. That's the goal, 50k words in a month, so if you have four or five thousand already, go for 54 or 55k and consider it good. You'll just need to keep track of those extra's when you do your tally.

Gargh

WF Veterans
Last year, my goal was to break the 50,000. This year it is to finish things, so rather than write 50,000 words of any one story I'll write the same amount across multiple ones. I'm going to write down the totals I start with for each separate story and will only count the ones I write during November.

I went to my first local NaNo social today. It was good fun, I'm looking forward to the write-ins now.

PSFoster

I've seen some people mention on the forums that they were going to finish a novel they started last year. They didn't mention not counting words already written.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I've seen some people mention on the forums that they were going to finish a novel they started last year. They didn't mention not counting words already written.

Hi,

[h=1]Can I reuse an old idea I already started writing?[/h] ← National Novel Writing Month

While you can’t continue an old work, you can set aside anything you’ve previously written, and start over completely from scratch, at word 1, on November 1! You can reuse characters, ideas, even settings. Sequels are fine!

Gargh

WF Veterans
I have failed for 3 years, this year has to be my year :O

Good for you, keep trying!
21animo.gif

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I'm joining too. I don't really care if I win or lose. To me, it's all about personal goals. If I could break 10,000 words, I'd be happy as a clam. :)

Of course, I'm shooting for the full 50k though.

Good luck, Raptor :) please keep us updated as to your progress!

I have failed for 3 years, this year has to be my year :O

Yep, it's gonna be your year! Please don't forget to to let us know how you're progressing :) 1650 plus words a day, every day for only a month...it's got to be a doddle, no?

cassie30

I'd be lucky if I hit 1650 words in a day. I'm not even sure how you submit it to NANOWRIMO for a word count.