Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I have a question about how 'getaway cars' work. (1 Viewer)

ironpony

In fiction, whenever characters want to commit a big crime such as a bank robbery, they always steal a car so it cannot be traced back to them. There are some movies, and stories and where the villains will even commit a string of bank robberies and steal a car each time before doing one.

I'm writing a screenplay, where the villains commit a series of kidnapping crimes as well. But in order to not have the car traced back to them, what I don't understand, is why steal a different car for each crime, everytime, since that in itself can attract a lot of attention?

Why not just have a car for committing the crime that cannot be traced back to you and use that car over and over again for each crime, rather than steal a new one each time, which would create attention? Is there a reason to steal a new one each time, compared to having a main one that will not be traced back to you for the crimes, that one would keep hidden somewhere?

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Using the same car means it can be identified more easily because of eye witnesses and camera footage. Trace the car and catch the culprit.
Stealing a new car means identification of the car because of eye witnesses and camera footage is impossible. Trace the car, find it was stolen.

ironpony

Oh okay but I meant if the car was untraceable to the culprit such as a phony license plate for example. Or how would you trace a car back just by looking at it from the distance, if the plate was no good? I thought that a stolen car would be worse, because as soon as the car owner reports it stolen then all the police are on the look out for that car then and it will be notceable that way, if they are looking for it at that time, won't it?

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
If they were to use the same car, there's more chance of it being spotted and pulled over. Also, they'd need somewhere to store it out of sight between jobs.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
as soon as the car owner reports it stolen then all the police are on the look out for that car then and it will be notceable that way, if they are looking for it at that time, won't it?

There is a short period between theft and reporting, that's when you use it, and as soon as the job's done torch it to destroy all DNA evidence.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Some enterprising robbers in the UK painted their car red on one side, yellow on the other, blue at the front and green at the back, there is no information on the colour of the roof - Eye witnesses, of course, gave totally conflicting reports on the colour of the vehicle much to the chagrin of the police...

ironpony

Oh okay, that's interesting. Well if the crimes my villains commit could take up to a day around to commit each time, are stolen vehicles going to be too attention worthy if the crimes could take up to a day?