Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I Drove Past Your Work (1 Viewer)

I haven't written poetry before and am just curious if there is any value in this.

I drive past your work almost everyday,
You work at the register in front of the window
and sometimes it feels like you planned it that way.
I could never see you
I wondered if you quit, until tonight.
My glance was passing, but you I couldn't miss,
You wore a grey sweatshirt
One I hadn't seen before,
But your face was obstructed and lacked all detail
So I turned left and hoped you wouldn't move.
I parked at the store across the street,
I wished the street wasn't so wide, I wanted to be closer to you.
A customer walked in and I watched as you rung him up,
You used to tell me about customers,
Angry with their impatience and stupidity,
You hated your job, but I loved to listen to you complain.
I called you almost two months ago,
I had to ask about your work
I wanted to hear you complain.
But your stories were subtle
You spoke with no passion and used no obscenities,
I didn't get to hear you complain.
I sat in the car and watched you answer the phone,
You looked so warm and familiar,
The caller was surely rude and it was late and you were tired
But I won't get to hear you complain.

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
Yes there is value in this--- I hope this is a piece on stalking-because it has an ominous feel to it. You do need to trim the piece take out some of the redundancies. Your use of the narrative style is solid. For a first try this is very good. A disturbingly good piece on stalking and obsession.

Keep writing poetry, get familiar with the poetic tools at hand, alliteration, assonance, enjambment, form poetry, free verse, rhyme schemes , formatting, poetic styles, tell and show, and many others at hand to numerous to mention.- read other poets and be patient. Another key factor in learning the craft is to accept and be willing to learn from constructive criticism. Also try your hand a critiquing- believe it or not when you critique other poets work in a professional manner it helps you hone your own skills.

welcome to poets showcase

warmest
bob