Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I Don't Do Drugs (1 Viewer)

BruceDowns

1 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - EVENINGFADE INA high school junior, JAKE, sits studying at his desk in hisroom.The desk is littered with S.A.T. study guides and papers.On the desk, a digital clock reading 6:30pm sits next to a fullcup of coffee and a picture of his girlfriend Alice.As Jake turns the page, his cell phone rings.JAKESteve-O, whaaaaat's up?STEVE (V.O.)Dude! Andy's having a killer partytonight in the field.JAKEAggh. I can't.CUT TO2 INT. STEVE'S HOUSE - EVENINGSTEVEWhat do you mean you can't? This isgoing to be epic!JAKE (V.O.)I have to study for tomorrows S.A.T.STEVECome on! You've been studying for thepast three weeks straight.JAKE (V.O.)Yeah, and I haven't slept in two days,I'm low on caffeine pills and if I don'tget into TECH my parents are going tokill me.STEVEHave you tried the stuff I gave you lastweek?CUT TO3 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - EVENINGJAKENo way, like I told you I'm not going totake that stuff.​
1 of 10​
STEVE (V.O.)Dude, like I said if you take it, youwill be up all night long. It's your ifyou need it.JAKEAlright man. Later.STEVE (V.O.)Later.Jake hangs up and immediately goes back to studying.FADE TO BLACK4 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHTThe clock, which now reads 8:30pm, is now surrounded by emptybottles of energy drinks.Jake looking very tired takes a sip of the coffee, rubs hiseyes, stretches, and continues studying.FADE TO BLACK5 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHTAs the clock strikes 11:00pm, more bottles of energy drinkslitter the desk.Jake attempts to study, but continues to nod off.Frustrated, Jake opens the desk drawer and pulls out a box of"stay awake" caffeine pills.He pulls out a sheet of bubble packs and begins to panic as itis empty.He pulls out a second sheet only to find 4 pills left.JAKEI guess these will have to do.Jake takes all the pills at one time, swallowing them with hiscoffee.JAKEWell it better do it!Jake looks back into the empty box and sees the pill that Jakegave him is all that is left.Jake reaches in the box and grabs the pill and stares at it indeep thought.FADE TO BLACK​
2 of 10​
EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHTSTEVE and three other friends stand by a group of cars while abonfire burns in the background.Music blares in the background as some kids dance, while othershangout or sitting on blankets around the bonfire.One guy is video taping the party, asking everyone what theyplan on doing during the summer, what school they will go to,etc.One guy hits golf balls out into the field.In the parking area, a girl angry with her boyfriend locksherself in his car while her boyfriend and her friend try to gether out.FRIEND1Isn't that Alice?STEVEWhere?The four look over to see Jake's girlfriend Alice laying on ablanket making out with another guy.FRIEND2Ohhhh. Yes it is!FRIEND3Uhhh, What about Jake? Did they breakup?FRIEND1No - Who is she with?FRIEND2I think it's Chris.STEVEJake is going to be pissed!CUT TO7 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHTThe clock, which now reads 11:30pm, Jake is now flipping throughthe pages, wide awake when his cell phone rings.JAKEPlease don't tell me how awesome theparty is.STEVE (V.O.)So, apparently I'm not the only one who​
3 of 10​
thinks it's awesome.CUT TO8 EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHTSTEVEAlice sure is enjoying herself.JAKE (V.O.)Alice? What's she still doing there?Steve looks over his shoulder to see Alice still kissing Chris.STEVEShe's sticking her tongue down Chris'sthroat!CUT TO9 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHTJAKE(Pissed off)I'm going to kick his ass! (ALT: I'mgoing to kick his butt!)Jake slides the cell phone into his pocket and sneaks downstairsto the kitchen.As he passes the living room, he sees his father asleep on thecouch and his mother watching TV.Jake grabs his keys and sneaks out of the house.CUT TO10 INT. JAKE'S CAR - NIGHTAs Jake drives down the road, he receives a picture on his cellphone.The picture is of Alice and Chris kissing.Something in Jake snaps -- he grits his teeth and slams hispedal to the metal and speeds towards the party.CUT TO11 EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHTSteve laughs as he snaps another picture.STEVE(to his friends)This is going to be fun!​
4 of 10​
CUT TO12 INT. JAKE'S CAR - NIGHTJake speeds into the field parking area, looking from side toside as if he is looking for Alice's car as he drives pastparked cars.Three people catch his eye standing at a parked car.They appear to him as zombies feeding from a person on theground while looking back over his shoulder he hears THUMP ashis car runs over something. Rides over a BUMP. Jake slams thebrakes.JAKEOh No!CUT TO13 EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHTJake gets out and runs around the car and finds a bodyunderneath.Jake looks around to see if anyone has noticed.He turns back to see a leg moving. Jake slides the body out fromunder the car, a zombie emerges.Jake falls back scared and scrambles to his feet.As he turns to run, he sees a group of zombies moving towardshim from the parked car.Panicking, Jake runs towards the bonfire and away from the crowdof perusing zombies.He sees zombies and dead bodies on blankets everywhere, he seeshis girlfriend on a blanket, fighting off a zombie on top ofher.Jake struggles to get a golf club away from a zombie.He smashes the club with all of his strength into the zombiesskull and runs to help his girlfriend.With the golf club, Jake hits the zombie on the back of the headand fights the zombie off his girlfriend. While struggling withthe zombie his girlfriend runs away.JAKEAlice! It's me!Three zombies approach Jake from behind.​
5 of 10​
He sees the zombies just as they were right behind him. Jakesmashes the first zombie in the head with the golf club.Once the first zombie goes down, Jake smashes the other twozombies, one at a time.As he begins to walk away, he notices one of the zombiescontinues to squirm around on the ground.Jake goes back and finishes off the zombie, leaving the golfclub on the ground next to the now lifeless zombie.JAKEAlice! Alice!Jake hears a scream. He turns to see his girlfriend surroundedby zombies. One of the zombies is Steve.JAKEOh no, not you too.Jake runs back and picks up the golf club and turns back torescue his girlfriend.As he approaches Alice, he sees police cars pull up behind him.JAKE(Yelling back towards the policeofficers)Help, Zombies are everywhere.As Jake turns back towards his girlfriend, he is tackled to theground, hitting his head going unconscious.The two police officers handcuff Jake; they grab him by thearms, lifts him up, and drags him to the police car. One officershoves him in the back of the car and the other officer slamsthe door.Police car drives away.FADE OUT14 INT. JAKE'S BEDROOM - MORNINGFADE INThe clock on the desk reads 6:59am.Jake asleep with his head resting on his S.A.T. study book, anempty cup of coffee and empty bottles of energy drinks litterhis desk.As the clock strikes 7:00am, the alarm sounds and Jake lifts hishead off the study guide.​
6 of 10​
Jake looks around confused as he wipes the drool from the sideof his mouth.Looking down, Jake sees the box of pills laying on the floor,the four pills he had taken previously were still in theirpackage along with the stuff Steve gave him.Jake laughs to himself as he gets up from the desk and walks tothe bathroom with the pills in hand.Jake pops the pills from the packaging and flushes them down thetoilet.As he turns away, he knocks a glass from the counter.A empty glass falls to the floor in slow motion.Jake turns away and closes his eyes, preparing for the crash ofthe breaking glass.CUT TO15 INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL - MORNINGFADE INJake opens his eyes and struggles to adjust his vision. A nursestanding beside his bed had just dropped a vile of medication.He is laying on a hospital bed, handcuffed to the bed. A policeofficer sits outside the door.JAKEWhere. Where am I? What happen?NURSEshhh. Now this is going to make yourest.JAKE(struggling)No! I don't need to rest, I need to getout of here.NURSEHoney, I don't think your going to begoing anywhere for a very long timeafter what you've done.JAKEWhat? No! I was protecting everyone. Isaved them, I...IJAKEThere were zombies. I tried.​
7 of 10​
NURSENo honey, they were your friends.Jake closes his eyes tight, trying to remember the night before.FADE TO BLACK16 EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHTJake speeds into the field parking lot, looking from side toside as he drives past the rows of cars.Three people catch his eye standing at a parked car as he isdriving by.As he is looking, he hears THUMP as his car runs over something.Rides over a BUMP. Jake slams the brakes.JAKEOh No!Jake gets out and walks around the car and finds a bodyunderneath.Jake looks around to see if anyone has noticed.He turns back to see the body moving. Jake slides the body outfrom under the car, a partygoer is squirming in pain.Jake falls back scared and scrambles to his feet.As he turns to run, he sees a group of partygoers moving towardshim from the parked car.Panicking, Jake runs towards the bonfire and away from the crowdof perusing partygoers.He sees partygoers dancing everywhere, on blankets, he sees hisgirlfriend on a blanket with a guy making out on top of her.Jake struggles to get a golf club away from a partygoer.He smashes the club into the his sku1l and runs towards hisgirlfriend.With the golf club, Jake hits the guy on the back of the headand fights him off his girlfriend. While struggling with the guyhis girlfriend runs away.JAKEAlice! it's me!Three partygoers approach Jake from behind.He sees them just as they were right behind him. Jake smashesthe first partygoer in the head with the golf club.​
8 of 10​
Once the first one goes down, Jake smashes the other two, one ata time as they try to get away.As he begins to walk away, he notices one of the partygoerscontinues to squirm around on the ground.Jake goes back and finishes off the partygoer, leaving the golfclub on the ground next to the now lifeless body.JAKEAlice! Alice!Jake hears a scream. He turns to see his girlfriend surroundedby friends. One of them is Steve.JAKEOh no, not you too.Jake walks back and picks up the golf club and turns backtowards his girlfriend.As he approaches Alice, he sees a police car pull up behind him.JAKE(Yelling back towards the policeofficers)Help, Zombies are everywhere.As Jake turns back towards his girlfriend, he is tackled to theground, hitting his head going unconscious.The two police officers handcuff Jake; grabs him by the back ofhis neck, lifts him up, and drags him to the police car. Oneofficer shoves him in the back of the car and the other officerslams the door.Police car drives away.CUT TO17 INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL - MORNINGJake begins screaming hysterically.The nurse plunges the needle into his arm.Jake quickly begins relaxing and begins falling asleep.JAKE(Sleepily)But I'm supposed to take the S.A.T.today.As Jake falls asleep, the nurse walks out of the room.CUT TO​
9 of 10​
INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL HALLWAY - MORNINGNURSEHe's out. He won't be waking up forquite a while. Poor kid doesn't evenknow what he did.POLICE1Well, you use, you lose.FADE TO BLACK19 INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL - MORNINGFADE INJake lays in the bed, tears stream down his face. He blinksonce, twice, and closes his eyes, leans his head back as hefalls back asleep.FADE TO BLACKWords on screen read "Don't do Drugs"FADE OUTENDRUN CREDITS​
10 of 10

Last edited:

BabaYaga

Feedback

Hi There,

I like the idea of people being dehumanized in this guy's mind as mannequins, I think- visually- it would also be very striking to see him smashing them up, while the audience realizes that these are actual people.

That said, I do think you could trim it down a whole lot. I don't know how long PSAs are on average in your country, but here, 30 seconds is about average. I would lose the set up at the beginning and just start at the party, where an otherwise good kid gets pressured into taking drugs (maybe his girlfriend convinces him?) You don't even need to use any dialogue to show this. From here it can get quite trippy with him reacting to mannequins like they are not even people until he sees blood on his hands/ hears sirens.

From there you can bring in your anti-drug message and, this is just from advertising experience, give a compelling reason why people shouldn't do drugs. The lifeless mannequin image is so strong, I feel like you should tie it up with a title that speaks to how drugs make you forget how other people have feelings/ that other people exist.

I would also lose the bit at the end, it feels a bit too much like all those horror movies from the 80s where the character would wake up from a terrible experience only to realise that it had all just been dream, which negates the impact of all your mutilated mannequins

Just my thoughts, take em or leave em. Hope you produce this one!

BruceDowns

I had to do a rewrite due to the cost of mannequins, so now we have zombies! Here it is, again i would love your feedback. Also, can you think of a title that will not give a way that this is a PSA? I want the audience to believe that Jake is a hero until the end. Thanks.

FADE IN

INT. JAKE’S BEDROOM - EVENING

A high school Junior, JAKE, sits studying at a desk in his room.

The room is littered with SAT study guides and papers.

A digital clock reading 6:30pm sits next to a full cup of coffee on the desk.

As Jake turns the page, his phone rings.

JAKE
Steve-O, whats up buddy?

STEVE (V.O)
Dude! Andy’s having a killer party
tonight at the field.

JAKE
Aggh. I can’t.

CUT TO

INT. STEVE’S HOUSE - EVENING

STEVE
What do you mean you can’t? This is
going to be epic!

JAKE (V.O)
I have to study for tomorrows SAT’s

STEVE
Come on! You’ve been studying for
the past three weeks straight.

JAKE (V.O)
And I haven’t slept in two days!

CUT TO

INT. JAKE’S BEDROOM - EVENING

JAKE
Yeah, and if I don’t pass, my
parents are going to kill me.

STEVE (V.O)
Alright man. I’ll talk to you
later.

JAKE
Later.

Jake hangs up and immediately goes back to studying.

INT. JAKE’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

The clock, which reads 10:00pm, is now surrounded by empty bottles of 5 hour energy drinks.

Jake takes a sip of the coffee, rubs his eyes, stretches,
and continues studying.

As the clock strikes 2:00am, more bottles of energy drink litter the desk.

Jake attempts to study, but continues to nod off.

Frustrated, Jake opens the desk drawer and pulls out a box of "Stay Awake" caffeine pills.

He pulls out the bubble packs and begins to panic as he
realizes there are only six left.

JAKE
Great! I guess these will have to
do.

Jake takes all the pills at one time, swallowing them with his coffee.

JAKE

Ahhh. Much better!

EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHT

STEVE and other friends stand by a group of cars while a
bonfire burns in the background.

Music blares in the background as kids dance around talk
with each other around the bonfire.

One guy hits golf balls out into the field.

In the parking area, a girl too drunk to drive locks herself in her car while her friends try to get her out.

FRIEND1
Isn’t that Alice?

STEVE
Where?

The three look over and see Jake’s girlfriend Alice laying on a blanket making out with another guy.

FRIEND2
Ohhhh. Yes it is!

FRIEND1
Who is she with?

FRIEND2
I think it’s Chris

STEVE
Jake’s gonna be pissed!

CUT TO

Jake is now flipping through the pages, wide awake when his phone rings.

JAKE
Please don’t tell me how awesome
the party is.

STEVE (V.O)
So apparently I’m not the only one
who thinks it’s awesome.

EXT. BONFIRE – NIGHT

STEVE
Alice sure is enjoying herself.

JAKE (V.O)
Alice? What’s she doing there?

Steve looks over his shoulder to see Alice still kissing
Chris.

STEVE
She’s sticking her tongue down
Chris’s throat!

JAKE
(Pissed off)
I’m going to kick his ass!

Jake slides the phone in his pocket and creeps downstairs to the kitchen.

As he passes the living room, he sees his father asleep on the couch and his mother watching TV.

Jake grabs his keys and sneaks out the back door.

INT. JAKE’S CAR - NIGHT

As Jake drives down the road, he receives a picture on his cell phone.

The picture is of Alice and Chris kissing.

Jake grits is teeth and drives faster towards the party.

EXT. BONFIRE - NIGHT

Steve laughs as he snaps another picture

STEVE
(To his friends)
This is going to be epic

INT. JAKE’S CAR - NIGHT

Jake speeds into the field parking lot, looking from side to side as he drives past the rows of cars.

Three people catch his eye standing at a parked car as he is driving by.
They appear to him as zombies feeding from a person on the ground and at that moment he hears THUMP as his car runs over something. rides over a BUMP. Jake slams on his brakes.

JAKE
Oh No!

Jake gets out and walks around the car and finds a body underneath.

Jake looks around to see if anyone has noticed.

He turns back to see the body moving.

From underneath the car, a zombie emerges.

Jake falls back scared and scrambles to his feet.

As he turns to run, he sees a group of zombies moving towards him.

Panicking, Jake runs towards the bonfire and away from the crowd of perusing zombies.

He sees zombies and dead bodies on blankets everywhere, he sees his girlfriend on a blanket, wearing his school letter jacket, fighting off a zombie on top of her.

Jake struggles to get a golf club away from a zombie.

He smashes the club into the zombies skull and runs to help his girlfriend.

With the golf club, Jake hits the zombie on the back of the head and fights the zombie off his girlfriend.

While struggling with the zombie his girlfriend runs away.

JAKE
Alice! It’s me!

Four zombies approach Jake from behind.

He sees the zombies just as they were right behind him.

Jake smashes the first zombie in the head with the golf club.

Once the first zombie goes down, Jake smashes the other three zombies, one at a time.

As he begins to walk away, he notices one of the zombies continues to squirm around on the ground.
Jake goes back and finishes off the zombie, leaving the golf club on the ground next to the now lifeless zombie.

JAKE
Alice! Alice!

Jake hears a scream. He turns to see his girlfriend surrounded by zombies. One of the zombies is Steve.

JAKE
Oh no, not you too.

Jake walks back and picks up the golf club and turns back to rescue his girlfriend.

As he approaches Alice, he sees a police car pull up behind him.

JAKE
(Yelling back towards the police officers)
Help, zombies are everywhere.

As Jake turns back towards his girlfriend, he is tackled to the ground, hitting his head going unconscious.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

INT. JAKE’S BEDROOM –MORNING

The clock on the desk reads 6:59am.

Jake asleep with his head resting on his S.A.T. study book, an empty cup of coffee and two empty bottles of energy drinks.

As the clock strikes 7:00am, the alarm sounds and Jake lifts his head off the study guide.
Jake looks around confused as he wipes the drool from the side of his mouth.

Looking down, Jake sees the box of pills laying on the floor, the six pills he had taken previously were still in their package.

Jake laughs to himself as he gets up from the desk and walks to the bathroom with the pills in hand.

Jake pops the pills from the packaging and flushes them down the toilet.

As he turns away, he knocks a glass from the counter.

The glass falls to the floor in slow motion.

Jake turns away and closes his eyes, preparing for the crash of the breaking glass.

CUT TO

INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL - MORNING

Jake opens his eyes and struggles to adjust his vision.

He is laying on a hospital bed, handcuffed to the bed.

A police officer sits outside the door as a nurse enters the room carrying a syringe.

JAKE
Where. Where am I? What happened?

NURSE
Shhh. Now this is going to make you
rest.

JAKE
(Struggling)
NO! I don’t need rest, I need to
get out of here.

NURSE
Honey, I don’t think your going to
be going anywhere for a very long
time after what you’ve done.

JAKE
What? No! I was protecting
everyone. I saved them, I...I

Jake closes his eyes tight, trying to remember the night before.

JAKE
There were zombies. I tried.

NURSE
No honey, they were your friends.

CUT TO

EXT. FIELD PARTY - NIGHT

Jake drives through the parking lot, he is distracted and glances over his shoulder.

As he is looking, he runs over a partygoer.

Jake gets out of the car and looks around.

The person he ran over squirms on the ground in pain.

A group of kids begin running over to the car.

Jake runs towards the bonfire wildly.

He grabs a golf club from a partygoer and smashes the club over his head, blood splatters everywhere.

Kids scream and begin running towards him.

Jake runs towards Alice, grabbing Chris by the back of the shirt, he smashes the golf club into his head.

Alice jumps up and starts running and screaming.

Jake is approached by a group of kids.

He hits the first one in the face with the golf club and proceeds to hit the others as they try to get away.

Jake sees one kid squirming on the ground. He smashes the club into the kids skull numerous times.

The police arrive on the scene.

Alice screams in the back ground; she is met by four friends.

As Jake runs towards them, he is tackled by a police officer.

CUT TO

Jake begins screaming hysterically.

The nurse plunges the needle into his arm.

Jake quickly begins relaxing and begins falling asleep.

JAKE
(Sleepily)
But I’m supposed to take S.A.T’s
today.

As Jake falls asleep, the nurse walks out of the room.

INT. MENTAL HOSPITAL HALLWAY - MORNING

NURSE
He’s out. He won’t be waking up for
quite a while. Poor kid doesn’t
even know what he did.

POLICE1
Well, you use, you lose.

Jake lays in the bed, tears stream down his face as he falls back asleep.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

Words on screen read "Don’t use drugs"

FADE OUT

END

BabaYaga

Hello,

How long are you anticipating the PSA being overall? I still feel like there are a few extra scenes than you really need... also, and I feel like I've been talking a LOT about drug use today- I hope that doesn't make people think I'm secretly selling crack out of my basement to school children, but it seems like a really extreme reaction to caffeine and sleep deprivation. Are over the counter meds your ultimate target?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything you want to achieve with this.

Finally, while no one loves a zombie like I do, I kind of miss the mannequins. I understand they would be expensive props to smash to pieces, but some of the make-up effects required by this draft would probably also be really costly to do well as well as being a little gory for a PSA. If your heart is set on zombies, that's cool, but if you're only compromising on a good idea for a poor budget, then hold out! Where there's a will, there's a way to smash mannequins to pieces.

BruceDowns

Again thanks for the time and input. Maybe I should change this from a PSA to a short film with a good message. I too really like the mannequins story line better, but since I’m new to moviemaking using zombies can be a learning project with hopes of still developing the mannequin story for an actual PSA when I have more filmmaking experience. I will keep my eye out for cheap/free mannequins, but I found it was difficult to find full body mannequins.

About the hallucination, I’m basing this on the combination of being sleep deprived (no sleep for two days), all the caffeine he has taken (5-hr energy drinks + pills) and he is a big zombie fan. I have 3 zombie posters that we will decorate his room with. Also a friend has written and produced a song for the script. Search MikeInDominica on youtube and listen to Devil’s Mountain “Dead Alive” which will be playing in his room while he is studing.

BabaYaga

That's great! (I also love the title, Dead Alive- was that an intentional Peter Jackson reference?) Perhaps to get the project started, you should do a music video to your friend's song? I can see your story working without dialogue... and shooting without worrying about dialogue or getting your final mix perfect will save big on time and money...

BruceDowns

Interesting, I love the idea of shooting a music video for the song to use as a teaser/trailer for the movie.

BabaYaga

That's a great idea, you can use it to get sponsorship for a future project- and I'm sure your friend wont mind the exposure! Best of luck with it :)

Trides

Yeah, personally I prefer the mannequins too.
Hmm, I'm just a little confused about when he flushes the pills down the toilet. Does that actually happen?

BruceDowns

No, that scene takes place while he is unconscious from the fall (it will be shot over exposed a little), but I want the audience to believe that he just woke up from falling a sleep the night before while studying. Then when he watches the glass falling to the floor in slow motion and closes his eyes, when he reopens his eyes again he is in a mental hospital, now he and I hope the audience will now know the truth. That it wasn't a dream. That he did kill many of his friends.

BruceDowns

The plan is have two cuts of this film; a short film for festivals (~16-20 minutes) and a 2-3 minute PSA. We start shooting the weekend of July 29th in Metro Atlanta area. I have an incredibly talented cast and a great crew.

BruceDowns

The filming went great! The cast was fantastic! And the make-up artist were, see for yourself, below.
100_4625_0045.jpg
When he gets run over and dragged from car

mile-29-films-dont-do-drugs-psa-facebook-pics-005.jpg
As a zombie (POV of person on drugs)
100_4669_0004.jpg
Setting up a shot in the mental hospital

BruceDowns

here's a clip (raw data) from the scene when the guy wakes up in the mental hospital and finds out he killed his friends. I have a few cut ins and close ups to edit into the scene. I was proud of the talent I had on this project. Take a look.

AC009101.MXF - YouTube

Jake opens his eyes and struggles to adjust his vision.

He is laying on a hospital bed, handcuffed to the bed.

A police officer sits outside the door as a nurse enters the room carrying a syringe.

JAKE
Where. Where am I? What happened?

NURSE
Shhh. Now this is going to make you
rest.

JAKE
(Struggling)
NO! I don’t need rest, I need to
get out of here.

NURSE
Honey, I don’t think your going to
be going anywhere for a very long
time after what you’ve done.

JAKE
What? No! I was protecting
everyone. I saved them, I...I

Jake closes his eyes tight, trying to remember the night before.

JAKE
There were zombies. I tried.

NURSE
No honey, they were your friends.

Wryture

Brucedowns is also a indietalk.com poster, are you the same person?

I personally preffered the mannequin version, kids think zombies are cool and in association with drugs it's a recipe for disaster, no matter how prohibitory you tone your film. But when it's around you, substance abuse is something you tend to exclude from discussion a priori, just for the sake of preserving any sense of calm at all.

You ought to make your script about an energy drink addict.

I love the idea. I think it would actually help prevent teens from doing drugs. What I have realized is that teachers and psychologist or a social worker saying think of what would happen to your family does not help stop the problem because they do not care. By saying that their friends and other significant people in their life can get hurt it'll help more. My only criticism is that zombies are popular now and people might interpret it as if you do drugs you will see zombies. That may or may not hinder the problem