Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hunter S Thompson (1 Viewer)

zeeby

Who out there loves fear and loathing in Las Vegas as much as i do. Would u consider it a classic?

DesolateValkyrie

yes, absolutely. it's a brilliant book that doesn't get the credit it deserves. better than sex by thompson is equally as wonderful. i recommend it to all..

ruksak

an absolute classic - it will stand time as well although I suspect it will become a sollid, dependable artefact of a certain time. Possibly the most shockingly funny book I've ever read.

zeeby

I just saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the movie. Ehhhh. Can anyone give me a list of sorts of Thompson books? Also if anyone saw, Starz is showing a movie all month about Hunter.

Mike C

WF Veterans
And if you liked Mr Gonzo, I suggest you also look up Thomas Wolfe. Start with The Electric Cool Aid Acid Test.

B

btlcrwlr07

I just finished reading The Rum Diary. Quick read, really enjoyed the young HST work. It was pretty cool to see a snapshot of Thompson on the road to some of his later work.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Watcher

Fear and Loathing

Can't imagine there is any debate about Fear and Loathing being a classic. Without a doubt!

If you liked that book, try "The Curse of Lono", about Thompson's trips to Hawaii.

J

jlcjrbal

I remember reading Fear and Loathing in LV when I was in high school ( parents were not paying me any attention) I do not remeber where I found the book mabey a yard sale but I read the first page and I had never laughed at a book before ( I think I must have been a freshman) . Since then I have been a Gonzo freak and still too this day I pick up my copy of F&L and sometimes just read the first few pages again and still laugh as much as I did almost 25 years ago >> J

A

audioaddict

zeeby said:
I just saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the movie. Ehhhh. Can anyone give me a list of sorts of Thompson books? Also if anyone saw, Starz is showing a movie all month about Hunter.

Is the movie you speak of "Breakfast with Hunter"... twas a documentary made around the time they where filming the Fear and Loathing movie..

The only other 2 Thompson films as such are the vegas one and a very silly one called "Where the Buffalo Roam" starring Bill Murray as the good doctor... which was loosely based on "The Banshee screams for Buffalo meat.." which was a piece written by Thompson in memory of his Attorney Oscar Zeta Acosta...

Like someone said earlier, Wikipedia lists all of his work, including books, letters, articles for Rolling stone and other various publications...

I love Hunter S. Thompson!!!

zeeby

Nope actually it is a documentry called something like, buy the ticket, take the ride. Depp and busey and lots of strange oddities were in it. It wasn't bad, but right now im engulfing kingdom of fear which is amazing.

A

audioaddict

Cool, haven't heard of that one... shall have to look it up...

Want to get me a copy of Kingdom of Fear also, so many people recommend it..