Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Human and Alien Romances are honestly underrated (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTheAlien

Another interesting idea!

Which underrated Human and Alien Romances do you think should be re-appraised and more appreciated?
I Love Lois & Clark/Superman comics/movies/tv shows
but in general I really love the idea of a Human falling in Love with an Alien 💕

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Seconded. I've decided there's a market for erotica in this vein and furthermore, that I'm gonna write to it. Makin' that Sy Snootles space crush work for me!

Xander416

Read the essay "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" by Larry Niven.
Let me rephrase: doesn't the fact that he's human in appearance undermine the whole concept? Because when Lois and Clark are out having dinner, shopping, paying their car insurance, etc, nobody sees anything but a seemingly human couple, as opposed to if she were walking down the street with this fellow here.

latest

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
There is certainly precedent, modern genetics shows we carry genetic material not only of neanderthal man, but of every human species identified so far. Those are just the species we managed to reproduce with, bet your life a good few tried with others, so why not aliens?

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Does human-like robot and an alien count?
I can think of only two examples from my own experience with media, but neither were with aliens. In one of Asimov's continuations of the Foundation series, Hari Seldon's wife turned out to be a humaniform robot, on assignment from R. Daneel Olivaw to protect Seldon. Then, in Star Trek TNG, Data early on demonstrated capability.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
How about "Two multisexual robots from different galaxies meet and start looking for ways they can combine compatible elements of their sexualities to produce a completely new variant robot" . :)

Actually that has possibilities, put it way into the future. Humans are not the stuff of myth, because robots don't have myths, they have data. However, some data is so old it may be seldom or never visited , it is only so many bits in a huge mass. Hmm, might make something of that. Thanks for introducing the topic Jimmy.

CyberWar

The amount of BLAM-worthy heresy in these posts makes my eyes bleed... :D

Personally I'm very skeptical about the notion of xenophilic relationships. Humans have considerable difficulty getting along with each other over way lesser divides than species, so while not outright impossible, a romantic relationship with an alien is, in my opinion, highly improbable. I figure very few people would actually be willing to consider dating an alien, and it would probably go both ways. Fear, bigotry, prejudice and basic reluctance most likely aren't an exclusively-human thing.

Then again, I mostly write grimdark sci-fi where typical interactions between humans and aliens begin and end from the barrel of a gun, so feel free to discount my opinion as highly biased.

Joker

I can think of only two examples from my own experience with media, but neither were with aliens. In one of Asimov's continuations of the Foundation series, Hari Seldon's wife turned out to be a humaniform robot, on assignment from R. Daneel Olivaw to protect Seldon. Then, in Star Trek TNG, Data early on demonstrated capability.

Guess I'm in untrodden ground, then.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The amount of BLAM-worthy heresy in these posts makes my eyes bleed... :D

Personally I'm very skeptical about the notion of xenophilic relationships. Humans have considerable difficulty getting along with each other over way lesser divides than species, so while not outright impossible, a romantic relationship with an alien is, in my opinion, highly improbable. I figure very few people would actually be willing to consider dating an alien, and it would probably go both ways. Fear, bigotry, prejudice and basic reluctance most likely aren't an exclusively-human thing.

Then again, I mostly write grimdark sci-fi where typical interactions between humans and aliens begin and end from the barrel of a gun, so feel free to discount my opinion as highly biased.
Xenophilic relationships exist all over the place, individuals are often fascinated by other's cultures. It is in larger groups where it pays someone to develop the 'us and them' relationship in order to create a position of power that xenophobia exists. The physical evidence of genetics shows we had physical relationships with every available human species, geographical evidence shows we spread through the entire world very early in our history, anecdotal evidence says we have had relationships with species as different as dugongs and sheep. If there is any sort of physical possibility I bet someone would try it. Whether it would be reciprocated I am unable to say, but that wouldn't stop some humans.

CyberWar

Xenophilic relationships exist all over the place, individuals are often fascinated by other's cultures. It is in larger groups where it pays someone to develop the 'us and them' relationship in order to create a position of power that xenophobia exists. The physical evidence of genetics shows we had physical relationships with every available human species, geographical evidence shows we spread through the entire world very early in our history, anecdotal evidence says we have had relationships with species as different as dugongs and sheep. If there is any sort of physical possibility I bet someone would try it. Whether it would be reciprocated I am unable to say, but that wouldn't stop some humans.
Emphasis being on "some", I would say. The occasional oddballs to whom we owe our other hominid genes and certain rather disgusting anecdotes of "interspecies relationships" do not by any means represent the majority of humans.

Where it concerns cross-cultural relationships between members of the Homo Sapiens species, I would argue that while they no doubt do occur, they are also far from being as widespread as you suggest. It might be fairly common in the cosmopolitan metropolises of the Western world, but all in all, the average person around the world doesn't really get to interact with foreigners that often. We from the better-off parts of the world might take such opportunities as self-evident, when in fact most people simply don't ever find themselves in a position to try dating or marrying outside their ethnic group. And that's disregarding any potential social or religious issues and taboos that might prove a further impediment.

I would also argue that "relationships" is very often hardly the term to describe what historically took place between two people of different cultures that happened to produce offspring. Oftentimes, it was simple war rape/sexual enslavement, conducted by one side for the purpose of asserting dominance and humiliating a defeated enemy rather than out of any romantic interest or "-philia" for the receptive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.