Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Howl's Moving Castle? (1 Viewer)

Tyson

Has anyone ever read Howl's Moving Castle? Or any other of Hayao Miyazaki's book based films? I've watched many of his movies and just recently discovered some were based off books. I loved the movies and I wondered if the books were written as well as the movies were done? If anybody has read any of them please tell me what you thought of them.
Tyson

AshBeanNun

I have read Howl's Moving Castle but haven't seen the movie. According to my friend, who is a huge fan of the books and has seen the movie, the books far surpass the films. But like with any book-turned-film, the plot was marginally to completely altered. If you don't mind your perspective of the film being changed a little, I'd definitely reccomend reading the book.

Tyson

Thanks, I figured there would be some form of alteration whether large or small. I think I'll take a look at it. Have you read any of the others?
Tyson

M

mushroompig

Most of Miyazaki's anime are more or less based on a book or legend(s) of some sort. He never makes a sincere effort to stay true to the original. He's got his own particular obsessions and themes that he likes to put into his stories, so any original books are really just raw material for Miyazaki works. You can make comparisons between the books and films, but a lot of those comparisons will have to be superficial.