Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Howdy WF! Excited to meet everyone. Anxious but happy to be here. (1 Viewer)

Rice-Milk

Hello to any passersby!

I finally built up the courage to join a writing forum. I fell in love with writing when I was rather young, which of course goes hand-in-hand with reading.
Since my early teens, I have wanted to study English and creative writing in college. Doubters, scoffers, naysayers be damned! I've dropped out twice so far...something about the 3rd time...something, something. I plan on going back as soon as I can get my issues in order.

Anyhow, I have mostly written poetry. Free verse, haiku when I can't muster much else.
I've written some short stories, long gone now, though. I'm sure they were just awful!

I'm here because I want to really dig deeper into this whole writing practice thing. I want to expand out of poetry (but not drop) and explore short stories, maybe some non-fiction, I don't know, anything! Whatever this medium has to offer.

Some of my other hobbies include playing music, primarily acoustic guitar and singing. I adore movies, I'm a film-bug. I play video games every now and then, but I'm trying to kick that habit. It's not reciprocal.

Oh, also! I am diagnosed ADHD, so if any of you fellow writers have some tips n' tricks for managing writing with such a disorder.

Thanks y'all,
If you made it this far, I appreciate you 🤓

-Kane

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Welcome to the forums. What do you write? I have add. I was diagnosed when a kid with adhd and as a teenager and when I became an adult I assumed I had add. The way I handle it is by playing music, taking frequent breaks, and planning out my stories in advance. Then I write it down. If you exercise, you can also have better concentration since people with adhd can have difficulties concentrating on doing things for long periods of time. Also, if you know you have low levels of vitamin B in the blood (as when seeing a blood test report) I would take some vitamin B as that helps you concentrate for anything you do such as studying and even writing (and adhd). If you ever go to a doctor they recommend ritalin, but that must be prescribed. It helps you work and write more. It helps you be more productive. Depending on the person and how they react it can have some side effects. But that is part of what the treatment consists off.

Last edited:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Diagnosised with ADHD in preschool...ASD in undergrad. Neither ND has limited my ability to write or read because both are a hyperfocus.

One of the most basic pieces of advice, work with your brain, not against it, try and force things like creativity and the process will shut down. Brain says go for a walk, listen...let the mind flex and surprise, Muse is waiting at the corner.

Studies have shown a direct correlation between ND brains and an increased capacity for creativity. A large number of writers, artists, crafters, and musicians report having ND diagnosises.

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Welcome! :) I'm also decently new and remember the anxiety that came with joining the forums. So far, everyone has been really nice and helpful. There are some talented writers here and while that used to be the thing that kept me from joining something like this (intimidation and all that) I'm so glad I joined and already feel that being here will only help me as a writer. Hopefully it will be the same for you if you're experiencing any of the same things I did.

I also loooove movies and play video games occasionally. I'm working on the mass effect remaster right now (when I should be working on my WIP of course), and find that it actually motivates me to write sometimes since their story-telling is pretty good. Movies inspire me to write all the time, especially anything by the Wachowskis. When it comes to story-telling, they're visionaries (imo).

Do you have any big WIPs at the moment? And again, welcome to the forums.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hello Rice-Milk. Happy you found us. This is a great place to explore and discuss writing. I have been involved in non-fiction writing for 20 years and only recently ventured into fiction with a novel. My writing has been enriched with the many discussion here. You will also find folks who love to talk about movies and music in the Tavern section.

Welcome to the forum!

Rice-Milk

Welcome to the forums. What do you write? I have add. I was diagnosed when a kid with adhd and as a teenager and when I became an adult I assumed I had add. The way I handle it is by playing music, taking frequent breaks, and planning out my stories in advance. Then I write it down. If you exercise, you can also have better concentration since people with adhd can have difficulties concentrating on doing things for long periods of time. Also, if you know you have low levels of vitamin B in the blood (as when seeing a blood test report) I would take some vitamin B as that helps you concentrate for anything you do such as studying and even writing (and adhd). If you ever go to a doctor they recommend ritalin, but that must be prescribed. It helps you work and write more. It helps you be more productive. Depending on the person and how they react it can have some side effects. But that is part of what the treatment consists off.
Hello glasshouse! Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I will have to work on exercising and I will look into my vitamin B levels. I am prescribed Vyvanse, but it's no panacea. I've been struggling more than usual lately when it comes to anything creative...I haven't even picked up my guitar in almost a week now. Very unlike me. The last thing I wrote was a poem, I didn't like it too much in the end. I am trying to give The Artist's Way a chance, have you ever read/tried it out?

Rice-Milk

Diagnosised with ADHD in preschool...ASD in undergrad. Neither ND has limited my ability to write or read because both are a hyperfocus.

One of the most basic pieces of advice, work with your brain, not against it, try and force things like creativity and the process will shut down. Brain says go for a walk, listen...let the mind flex and surprise, Muse is waiting at the corner.

Studies have shown a direct correlation between ND brains and an increased capacity for creativity. A large number of writers, artists, crafters, and musicians report having ND diagnosises.
Hi Darkkin, thank you very much. I find this particularly insightful. I really do need to follow my brain instead of trying to bend it to my will. There would be more freedom in letting go and allowing myself to flow freely. Appreciate your response!

Rice-Milk

Welcome! :) I'm also decently new and remember the anxiety that came with joining the forums. So far, everyone has been really nice and helpful. There are some talented writers here and while that used to be the thing that kept me from joining something like this (intimidation and all that) I'm so glad I joined and already feel that being here will only help me as a writer. Hopefully it will be the same for you if you're experiencing any of the same things I did.

I also loooove movies and play video games occasionally. I'm working on the mass effect remaster right now (when I should be working on my WIP of course), and find that it actually motivates me to write sometimes since their story-telling is pretty good. Movies inspire me to write all the time, especially anything by the Wachowskis. When it comes to story-telling, they're visionaries (imo).

Do you have any big WIPs at the moment? And again, welcome to the forums.
Welcome to you as well, fellow newcomer! Anxiety sure is a tricky thing. It's so tempting to avoid it, but I've noticed that if I lean into what makes me anxious, it can dissipate over time or at least be less enveloping.

I've never played any of the mass effect games, I'll have to try them out someday! It's great that it inspires you, along with movies. Wachowkis, awesome! What are some of your favorite movies? I do not have a WIP at the moment. My mind is a desert lately. What about yourself?
Thank you for you reply!

Rice-Milk

Hello Rice-Milk. Happy you found us. This is a great place to explore and discuss writing. I have been involved in non-fiction writing for 20 years and only recently ventured into fiction with a novel. My writing has been enriched with the many discussion here. You will also find folks who love to talk about movies and music in the Tavern section.

Welcome to the forum!
Hello and thank you Taylor! I'm happy to have found this place as well. That is awesome that you're working on a novel after 20 years of non-fiction writing!
Absolutely inspiring, what kind of non-fiction have you worked on? Thank you for directing my to the tavern as well!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hello and thank you Taylor! I'm happy to have found this place as well. That is awesome that you're working on a novel after 20 years of non-fiction writing!
Absolutely inspiring, what kind of non-fiction have you worked on? Thank you for directing my to the tavern as well!
I am a CPA and have published articles in professional journals on accounting issues. I have also developed numerous training courses for CPAs. As part of my role working for the Ministry of Finance, I was part of a team that drafted policy and legislation. The high point may have been when we implemented the first broad-based carbon tax in the world. Are you asleep yet? lol!

I think you are going to really enjoy it here...I know I have. What type of non-fiction are you interested in?

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Hello glasshouse! Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I will have to work on exercising and I will look into my vitamin B levels. I am prescribed Vyvanse, but it's no panacea. I've been struggling more than usual lately when it comes to anything creative...I haven't even picked up my guitar in almost a week now. Very unlike me. The last thing I wrote was a poem, I didn't like it too much in the end. I am trying to give The Artist's Way a chance, have you ever read/tried it out?
Hello! I haven't tried it. Journaling is an excellent way to prevent writer's block in my opinion. I do own some books on creative writing, such as writing fiction by Janet Burroway. In my opinion, this is the way to write the yearning or the desire of the character. It's recommended by Janet Burroway's book on writing fiction. She recommends a lot of books such as Cameron's the Artist's way. I own a huge collection of them. I never bought Cameron's books. But that sounds like a good way to defeat writer's block. I tried for instance reading butler's book on desire. I guess this is where the practice comes into application. That is because you can write based on what your thought is for the day what your character's decision could be. For example, such a simple desire could probably be if the thought crossed your mind: I don't want to be an alcoholic. It probably involves taking an action over a desire or yearning. For example, while I haven't read the book. It makes sense that if I wanted to quit drinking: I wouldn't make any friends with alcoholics. That could help a lot to continue writing your story that you had in mind. You mine your unconscious thoughts for yearnings or desires. Thanks for mentioning it. I would probably not have considered trying it otherwise. I think I will try the Listening Path by Julia Cameron. Thanks for bringing it up. (Well, the listening path doesn't have good reviews so the artist's way will be a book I consider when I buy some. Thanks for sharing this and it seems the artist's way might be worth reading at some point when I buy some books. Thank you.)

Last edited:

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Welcome to you as well, fellow newcomer! Anxiety sure is a tricky thing. It's so tempting to avoid it, but I've noticed that if I lean into what makes me anxious, it can dissipate over time or at least be less enveloping.

I've never played any of the mass effect games, I'll have to try them out someday! It's great that it inspires you, along with movies. Wachowkis, awesome! What are some of your favorite movies? I do not have a WIP at the moment. My mind is a desert lately. What about yourself?
Thank you for you reply!
Tempting is right. I've been planning my wedding recently and it's much easier/less stressful to look up table settings on Pinterest than to work on my WIP. ;) Before this morning I hadn't touched my WIP in about five days, probably due to the fact that the last thing I edited was the tipping point before I'm going to have to start re-writing a bunch. But when I checked out the forums a couple hours ago I found that some had left more critiques on something I had posted here and that was enough to motivate me to at least get 500 words down on the page.

Definitely try out the mass effect trilogy! As far as the Wachoswkis go, obviously the Matrix trilogy. I always wanted to be Trinity. :) More recently, I watched Cloud Atlas and thought it was absolutely amazing. That style of story-telling is akin to how I want to write: emotional, exciting fantasy. They do a lot with how people connect to each other. Also though, Cloud Atlas is based on a book by David Mitchell. It's on my 'To Read' list. I tried once, but the language is a little hard to follow... I'm not well-read enough yet to keep up.

I currently am working on a fantasy/romance novel. Nothing graphic, mostly light-hearted and more fun first-love type of stuff with a fantasy twist. I'm struggling through my second draft lol as I've changed a ton of the plot since my first go around. Sigh.

I'm sure your mind isn't a desert, even if you're not currently working on something 'big'. :) You mentioned you've written mostly poetry. What type of poetry do you write? Have you ever thought about putting together a poetry compilation? I've thought about trying my hand at one of those after my WIP is done.