Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How would one write a monologue (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

takadote26

So in the middle of my story, Misako is all alone wandering a twisted maze of mirrors and taking a rest, she stops at one of the mirrors and begins a dark monologue about herself in general, and to her surprise, her reflection answers back. Thing is, I have never written a monologue before, so some tips might help!

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
So in the middle of my story, Misako is all alone wandering a twisted maze of mirrors and taking a rest, she stops at one of the mirrors and begins a dark monologue about herself in general, and to her surprise, her reflection answers back. Thing is, I have never written a monologue before, so some tips might help!

If you have a little money to spend, I would suggest reading through Alan Bennett's 'Talking Heads'. Please note that there are some very cheap used versions if you prefer.
I'm not sure that I can do much more than suggest reading the work of a master.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184607259X/

luckyscars

WF Veterans

Is this monologue designed for a dramatic context - a screenplay or script - or solely to be read?

luckyscars

WF Veterans
I don't think there's anything particularly difficult about this, then.

It really helps that you have the conceit of a mirror reflection to work with because you can make this more of a dialogue, though a dialogue that is really a monologue because it's all her talking to herself...does that make sense?

Sort of one of those things where the mirror version of herself is the good (or evil) and she debates with it regarding whatever the central issue is.

This is by no means untrod ground even with the mirror metaphor (other stories have much the same thing with reflections in pools or just hallucinations.

takadote26

Misako has a serious and logical nature, she's rather blunt and to the point. This dialogue is supposed to be a What You Are in the Dark moment for Misako, because usually she's with her friends or a full-team of others. This one of those rare scenes where she's completely alone with only her reflection for company. In her dialogue to the mirror Misako expresses extremely dark thoughts about herself she normally wouldn't admit to anyone else, self-reflecting if you will.

The reflection is self-aware, male (Misako has Mirrored-self misidentification syndrome, and it shows here) and snarky. It says that Misako isn't really a complete person.

Status
Not open for further replies.