Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How to, where to, and what to (1 Viewer)

Pelwrath

WF Veterans
It seems every author has a blog/website. I don’t I don’t know the first thing about it but it seems like I really need one. It’s asked for on twitter and other social media outlets and would seem to be a rather useful marketing aide or is it just an overblown fad?

Ma'am

It seems every author has a blog/website. I don’t I don’t know the first thing about it but it seems like I really need one. It’s asked for on twitter and other social media outlets and would seem to be a rather useful marketing aide or is it just an overblown fad?

A few years back the standard thing you'd hear everywhere was that if you wanted to be taken seriously at all, you needed that blog/website, end of story. But now it doesn't seem to be such a thing. Perhaps because you can just put all of your author info. on the author page on Amazon instead. I have two blogs for my two main pen names and rarely even bother updating them anymore. I may just get rid of them, I don't know.

So, in my opinion, an author blog/site is nice to have if you want to bother with it but not required.

LeonDude

I have also stopped blogging for the most part, but I find that a website is a must-have. Your website should be your showcase, where you refer everybody to when asked about your writing.

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
I have also stopped blogging for the most part, but I find that a website is a must-have. Your website should be your showcase, where you refer everybody to when asked about your writing.

Do you think it's sufficient to just have a Facebook commercial marketing page? They have one specifically for books and authors.

LeonDude

Do you think it's sufficient to just have a Facebook commercial marketing page? They have one specifically for books and authors.
No, don't rely on Facebook only.
Get a proper web page, with your own URL that you can submit to search engines. This gives the whole of the Internet access to your website, Google, Yahoo, DuckDuck, you name it.
Also, you can design and modify your own web page to suite yourself, you are not dependent on the few pro-forma designs of Facebook. And if you are really smart and wish to go that way, you can do your own sales from there, but things can get complicated and cause you to lose track of writing and focus on selling instead, so be careful of that.

john1298

No, don't rely on Facebook only.
Get a proper web page, with your own URL that you can submit to search engines. This gives the whole of the Internet access to your website, Google, Yahoo, DuckDuck, you name it.
Also, you can design and modify your own web page to suite yourself, you are not dependent on the few pro-forma designs of Facebook. And if you are really smart and wish to go that way, you can do your own sales from there, but things can get complicated and cause you to lose track of writing and focus on selling instead, so be careful of that.
I agree, this approach will help expand the clientele!