Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How to market without Facebook? (1 Viewer)

Hector

So, this is my story. So far, being broke and all, all I could think of to advertise my books was to join about 70+ groups on Facebook and, every time I published a new book or wrote a new post on my author blog, post the link to all of them!

As it turned out, that was a fatal mistake, since it enraged the Facebook Gods, who, essentially, banned me without banning me! They blocked my ability to start new posts on groups, leaving the rest of my account intact. However, there was no message in the support inbox saying how long that would last (and my messages on Help were stubbornly ignored). So, after waiting about 1-2 weeks, with my group posting ability not coming back, I deduced that it was forever, deleted my account and made another one (with a different email).

This time, having learnt my lesson, I joined only a few relevant groups and posted only 1-2 links per day. It seemed a happily ever after ending... NOT!

Facebook have just disabled my new account and, even though they're like, 'We received your info, we'll review your request yada yada...', I don't think I'll ever hear from them again.

So, now that I have successfully gone through all 5 stages of sorrow and accepted the fact that Facebook is over for me, what else could someone who is broke do to advertise his literary masterpieces without depending on Mister Zuckerberg's whims? (No offense, Mark; you seem a nice guy, but sometimes...) :-(

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
So, this is my story. So far, being broke and all, all I could think of to advertise my books was to join about 70+ groups on Facebook and, every time I published a new book or wrote a new post on my author blog, post the link to all of them!

As it turned out, that was a fatal mistake, since it enraged the Facebook Gods, who, essentially, banned me without banning me! They blocked my ability to start new posts on groups, leaving the rest of my account intact. However, there was no message in the support inbox saying how long that would last (and my messages on Help were stubbornly ignored). So, after waiting about 1-2 weeks, with my group posting ability not coming back, I deduced that it was forever, deleted my account and made another one (with a different email).

This time, having learnt my lesson, I joined only a few relevant groups and posted only 1-2 links per day. It seemed a happily ever after ending... NOT!

Facebook have just disabled my new account and, even though they're like, 'We received your info, we'll review your request yada yada...', I don't think I'll ever hear from them again.

So, now that I have successfully gone through all 5 stages of sorrow and accepted the fact that Facebook is over for me, what else could someone who is broke do to advertise his literary masterpieces without depending on Mister Zuckerberg's whims? (No offense, Mark; you seem a nice guy, but sometimes...) :-(

Well, my first suggestion is to not cross post links on here either as it would receive the same end result as on Facebook - a ban. In fact, don't even post a single link to your work.
Once you have made ten *meaningful* posts (such as critique or joining in with discussions), you will have the ability to use a signature in your posts. The signature may contain links to your work, if desired. However, the signature should be fairly inobtrusive (max of 6 lines, I think and not with bells and whistles) and not referred to in your posts as that can be regarded as spam.
I think paying members have more rights but it appears you wish to avoid that.
Good luck with you journey to becoming the greatest writer who has ever lived :) .

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I don't know much about what I think is called vlogging. Youtube has less rules. You could always read your book and leave recordings. Olly buckle did this. He recorded readings of his works. There's always twitter where you can post youtube links. This is opposed to linking to the book itself maybe. Not only will you gain more attention it might work if you put an eye catching blurb of your book. That can be done according to the website rules here too without breaking them.

Leave an eye-catching blurb and a link, have a hook, and maybe you'll grab a reader's attention (twitter or your signature which has been mentioned after ten posts or with an account that has those privileges if I am not mistaken). You can leave a preview of your favorite chapters this way or the beginning, prologue, etc.

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator

I don't think you have to post a link. I have seen other people make interesting posts on group pages. If others find the comments intriguing they can get to the author's page by clicking on the link that is automatically present with the post.

It's not a whim. Facebook makes it pretty clear in their policy that you can't post direct advertising. You can advertise through Facebook now, but you have to pay for it.

Hector

I don't think you have to post a link. I have seen other people make interesting posts on group pages. If others find the comments intriguing they can get to the author's page by clicking on the link that is automatically present with the post.

Good idea, except it's too late now. :apologetic: