Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How To Get An Apostrophe To Face The Right Way In Word (2002) (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I've only just found this out and evidently if you use curly quotes (recommended) then an apostrophe should always face to the left whether it's at the start of the word or the end:

“These are curly quotes.”
‘cause and flippin’
The apostrophe in ‘cause should face to the left but it automatically defaults to the quotation format.
The only way I can find to insert one is to put an apostrophe at the end of the last word you wrote, write the word you want and then adjust so the apostrophe is moved to the following word and you've inserted a space after the previous word.

This ’ere is correct formatting.

SOLVED! You hold 'CTRL' and hit the apostrophe key twice.

It's 'CRTL+FN' and hit the apostrophe key twice for later versions of Word.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
The first solution works for me. I use the latest version of Microsoft Word. I never took a course to learn how to write in Microsoft Word. Grammarly often says I have curly quotes and then the straight quotes mixed. Thanks for sharing. I will try this out when typing the quotations marks in Microsoft Word.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
The first solution works for me. I use the latest version of Microsoft Word. I never took a course to learn how to write in Microsoft Word. Grammarly often says I have curly quotes and then the straight quotes mixed. Thanks for sharing. I will try this out when typing the quotations marks in Microsoft Word.
If you go to the options in Word and find the autocorrect section, you can have Word automatically correct to curly quotes.