Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How to Bake a Savory Pie (1 Viewer)

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
Because I want the crust to gently flake,
I cut in frozen butter to make crumbs.
I'll wash the shell with egg before I bake;
you'll note how delicate the crust becomes.

I fill the egg-washed shell with chunks of meat,
potatoes, carrots, onions and some peas.
Of course no proper sav'ry pie's complete
without some Worcestershire and grated cheese.

I add those to a gravy for the sauce.
then pour it gently so as not to spill.
Next, cover it with pastry strips, criss-cross--
a lattice showing off my baking skill.

And, finally, some foil wrapping 'round
so that the edges won't become too browned.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
No, I don't have the equipment or a good enough kitchen space. I only have the blog. My concerns are a) does everyone say "WORSE-ter-SHIRR" and b) punctuation. I was an avid listener of books, not reader, growing up, so my intake of punctuation is not as refined as my intake of vocabulary.

TuesdayEve

Friends of WF
Looks delicious...by this time, you should have eaten it... yummy.
I thought the rhyming was good too... liked S1 L4 matched with crumbs
and sauce/criss-cross

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
This started as a NaPo write the morning after I made a Reuben pie. It needed work though.

escorial

WF Veterans
Smell avision hasn't arrived so could this be the beginning of smelling poetry...

IMG_20171125_141440229.jpg

After reading your work I was inspired to eat 3 of the 5 shop bought vanilla doughnuts..

Last edited:

TL Murphy

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
The punctuation works fine. A strict grammatitian would probably put a comma after “Of course” and a pair of commas around “gently” and probably a comma after “‘round”. But I think the punctuation works fine as it is. I don’t think it’s necessary to be strict about grammar rules in poetry. The point is to be understood. I pronounce “Worcestershire” (wuss-te-shirr). I don’t pronounce the first two “r”s and I shorten the 4 syllables to 3.

As a sonnet, I miss the turn at line 9.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
Because I want the crust to gently flake,
I cut in frozen butter to make crumbs.
I'll wash the shell with egg before I bake;
you'll note how delicate the crust becomes.

I fill the egg-washed shell with chunks of meat,
potatoes, carrots, onions and some peas.
Of course,<- no proper sav'ry pie's complete
without some WIST-eh-shur and grated cheese.

I add those to a gravy for the sauce.<-,
then pour it gently,<-so as not to spill.
Next, cover it with pastry strips, criss-cross--
a lattice showing off my baking skill.

And, finally, some foil wrapping 'round,<-
so that the edges won't become too browned.

i haz no applicable credentials,
but that's my best attempt at
punctuation edit/reader pro-nun-SI-Ashun.
:)

Robbie

Financial Supporter
Annie I pronounce it with three syllables “woos ti shirr” or “woos te sure”, a schwa in last syllable. You’ve given me an idea on how to use my leftovers. Sounds like a great crust!

sas

WF Veterans
Great poem. Great recipe. Finally, a poem that serves a purpose, unlike mine. Bet you could publish a cookbook with poetry. Really. It would be unique.

sas

WF Veterans
Really think about this for publishing around the holidays for next year. Cookbooks sell then. If you do this, make sure "Recipes" is first word so picked up. Few want poetry, but might like the unusual idea.

Recipes in Poetry

Maybe something like that. Title has assonance, too. Smiles. Do it.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Annie, I love this... as I read it, thought "this is something I could bake"... you went through the steps, made it sound easy, not intimidating at all... I agree with sas, and great minds think alike... I can see a cookbook, with the poem outlining the recipe ... then the actual recipe following... maybe even a cookbook for kids ;) teach them poetry and cooking at the same time... hahaaa... this is different from most of your work, and a tasty treat indeed...