Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How to Address A Character (2 Viewers)

I am working hard on my novel and it's coming along well. But i am not sure what name I should be using. Do i use the first name (Like Jk Rowling used Harry or Ron or Hermione) Or do I use surnames (Like Ian Fleming did with Bond)?

Fiender

Different characters/situations will call for different answers. Their employers/superiors will likely call them by their last name, whereas friends/family will use their first names or even pet names.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Fiender is right, you need both names. Think of the teacher calling Ron, "Weasley, what are you up to", and Bond meeting a woman "The name's Bond, James Bond", she'll be whispering 'Oh James' in his ear pretty soon. On the other hand if Bond's car is stopped by a policeman the policeman will say "Good evening sir", or if Mrs Weasley calls Ron he will answer "Yes Mum".

Decide on both christian and family names for your characters, common sense will tell you which to use in which situation, usually depending on familiarity, you might even want a more familiar name, like 'Olly' for Oliver. Only policemen and tax inspectors call me Oliver :)

I think i am going with the Fleming way of calling her by her last name. Like in the books where fleming rights Bond's gun spoke twice.

Crooked Bird

Something in how you write about her implies to me that she's an action hero or spy or something (perhaps it's the repeated referencing of Bond) and in that case I think you're right. If she's mostly acting in a role in which the really crucial other characters would use her last name--i.e. if she's in a professional role, perhaps an agent whose superiors are giving instructions--then last name is most appropriate. If the story is more personal and she's acting as a private individual (like suppose she's still an action hero but acting totally on her own out of personal motivations e.g. rescuing her kidnapped child), using her first name would probably be more appropriate.

I'm basically making a "first name = personal, last name = professional" distinction here, and I believe it makes sense. But more broadly, whatever people are more often going to call her in the novel is probably what you should call her in narration.

Bang on the buck. She's an agent. But unlike the Bond books we see the world she is in through her eyes. we follow her and yeah it's more personal than professional point of view

Crooked Bird

Bang on the buck. She's an agent. But unlike the Bond books we see the world she is in through her eyes. we follow her and yeah it's more personal than professional point of view

That's it then. And one more thought: if you're deeply in her point of view, maybe what you call her should be whatever she's mentally calling herself. Which, if she has a very professional sort of mindset, could definitely be last name.