Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How much does traditional publishing cost? + additional Qs (1 Viewer)

Eholic

Hello readers,

So as a complete newbie to traditional publishing ( I tried self-publishing but failed) I have a question.

How much does traditional publishing cost?

If nothing is paid upfront, what % cut do they take from monthly revenue?

Is this the standard with every publishing house in the industry?

I am looking forward to your input on this, thank you in advance :)

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Traditional publishing costs nothing. If a publisher decides to go with your product, they pay you when it sells, and possibly pay an advance against royalties.

If a so-called "publisher" asks YOU to pay for ANY PART of the publishing process, that's called a Vanity Press, and you should immediately just say no, regardless of how rosy a sales pitch they weave. Legitimate publishers will not ask you to pay anything out of pocket ... they make their profit from selling books. Vanity Presses make their money from inexperienced authors, and do little or nothing to actually sell books.

Eholic

If a publisher decides to go with your product, they pay you when it sells, and possibly pay an advance against royalties.

Hello there vranger, thank you for your reply :)

Is it possible you elaborate on this, perhaps with an example?

Thank you again :)