Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How is Stephen King's "On Writing"? (2 Viewers)

Banzai

It's worth reading as an autobiography, but it is not a writing guide. It's King explaining how he writes, and what he thinks about the craft. If you go into it with the wrong expectations then you'll be disappointed.

Rob

It's not the best book of its kind that I've read if you're looking for something to help you improve your writing, but we all come at writing from different backgrounds, with different abilities, and with different experience, so what works for you may differ from what works for me. It won't do you any harm, but don't expect too much from any single book.

Cheers,
Rob

Mike C

WF Veterans
Rob said:
It's not the best book of its kind that I've read...

I'd tend to disagree, because King doesn't set out to teach you to write. It's one man's perspective. My opinion of the 'how to' books is pretty low, but I found 'On Writing' to be informative and entertaining.

starStuff

that is an interesting thought, stewart. that a fiction book he wrote isn't the most page turning thing he wrote, but rather a book on how he writes those books. :-k

i've yet to read it, btw. i just might pick it up (after i finish the other 6 books i've started -- yeah its a bad habit.)

Stewart

starStuff said:
that is an interesting thought, stewart. that a fiction book he wrote isn't the most page turning thing he wrote, but rather a book on how he writes those books. :-k

I think it's because it's non-fiction and it's Stephen addressing the reader. For that, I can accept his voice when reading as it's just like a (one-sided) conversation with someone. But, when it comes to his fiction, I just don't think that he has the talent that keeps me interested and, as he has said before, he knows that.

B

bexyb

I really enjoyed reading this book. I wouldnt go as far as the most page turning, but definately one of the most, because it gives an insight into the man, and not just the mind. you see him as an actual person. I also found it very informative.:thumbl:

I think his advise for writing wouldn't work for me. I like to plan things out instead of just writing whatever comes to mind and throwing out the poop. I don't think any writer with a real job or life has time for that.

The book was totally funny though. The best part was at the end when he writes about the time he got hit by a car.

CF

TinyMachines

CaptainFreedom said:
The best part was at the end when he writes about the time he got hit by a car.
Don't you mean the worst? It's so annoying to hear him whine about it over and over again. Other than that I really liked the book, but he takes it way to personally when someone makes a mistake that harms him. He acts like the person meant to hit him, and everyone knows that isn't the case.

The guy didn't step on his foot or cut him off in traffic , he turned Stevie's leg into potato salad and almost killed him. Then he didn't even come visit him or attept to apologize. I'd say he's jutified in taking it personally.

CF

Banzai

He does act a bit miffed towards the driver, yes, but I think that's fair since the guy almost killed him. But I did find it amusing when he woke up and saw the guy just sitting there next to him.
"Is it just a sprain?"
"Nope, it's definitely broken"
Haha, that made me laugh.

red lantern

I have heard mixed reviews about that work by King, I must admit I am sort of an on/off fan of his works. I enjoy his books as page turners but I do not find them scary or haunting or shocking - and the ending to the dark tower series made me want to choke him.

I am reading it now and it is informative and in parts humorous. It does offer some insights but for me personally he does go on a bit about his car accident, no doubt a life changing event but please one chapter is enough

Last edited:
L

lauren_1992

Yes. Comes highly recommended from me. I believe that people can't teach you to write, but King shares his writing experience and I think it helps a lot. If you're a King fan, it'll be even more brilliant for you :).

Sundown

I agree with what some of the other people on here have said. It's an interesting read about King, his life, and how he writes. If you like Stephen King, then I would recommend it. I enjoyed it myself.

~Sundown

B

belmont

I have the audio book on my ipod. I like to listen to it on shuffle.

I

invisible ink

I loved it, personally. His writing isn't my style, but I enjoyed learning about his. Very interesting.

Lise

I'm a big fan of Stephen King. I think he is a genious writers - that's an explanation of his success. No other American writer had captured the attention of millions of people.
All true fans of King must read this book! To least to know better the master of modern literature. Stephen reveals his personality in this book.

By the way, my favourite book is Dolores Claiborne