Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How frustrating can it get?? (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
So, back in August the JCVI recommended that people like me who are on immuno-suppressants should receive a third primary dose of vaccine, during September the machinery was supposed to be set in motion and GP's informed that they should identify us to the vaccine authority. By the end of September I had heard nothing and got in touch with my doctor who sent me an e-mail telling me my booster dose was not due for another month. I sent one back saying that I was not talking about a booster but a fourth primary dose, he said he knew nothing of this and sent me a contact for booking vaccinations. After about half an hour on the phone they told me that they could only book first and second or booster doses as my doctor had not identified me as a patient needing a third dose.
I remembered that I had initially been offered a jab at Guys, but had turned it down for a local one as I didn't want to travel on a crowded train, so I booked a phone appointment with the lupus unit and asked the doctor I spoke to if I could get one through the hospital, I could, but it would take ages, instead he sent me a text "To whom it may concern..." identifying me as a patient who needed a third primary dose. I took this to my doctors and showed it to them and they put a medical secretary in charge of investigating with a promise to get back to me. After a couple of days I had heard nothing, but got another text, this time from the vaccine people, saying according to their records I needed it and should get in touch with my GP or consultant, so I took that down the doctors and showed them, the receptionist said "unfortunately the secretary is off today, and no one else is here, but I will pass it on"
The next day I got a text from the vaccine people saying that according to their records I was due a third one and should get in touch with my GP or consultant, so I went to my local vaccine center and they said sorry they had run out of vaccine, so then I went down to Hastings to a walk in center armed with my prescription, and my phone with the messages on it from the consultant and the vaccine people, and they gave me it. Javid, Boris, you couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
I understand, Olly. Sometimes ii feel like a wrestler in a match, every time I get a hold i get slammed down on the mat and get stomped on. Hang in there, kid.

Tony

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
A good simile, still I got the injection in the end. Now I am waiting to see how long it takes the doctor to get back to me, if they ever do :)

They were supposed to give the third primary dose eight weeks after the second, a few more days and I would have been eligible for the booster which comes six months and a week after the last primary. the health minister was on the TV saying that everyone with an impacted immune system who was eligible would be contacted by the 13th of Sept. October doing my researches I read a thing from the kidney transplant association saying that 85% of their members still couldn't get one because their doctor denied any knowledge of it and the people giving them said you couldn't have it until your doctor identified you as needing it. Thank goodness the consultants at Guy's understood the situation.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
So, back in August the JCVI recommended that people like me who are on immuno-suppressants should receive a third primary dose of vaccine, during September the machinery was supposed to be set in motion and GP's informed that they should identify us to the vaccine authority. By the end of September I had heard nothing and got in touch with my doctor who sent me an e-mail telling me my booster dose was not due for another month. I sent one back saying that I was not talking about a booster but a fourth primary dose, he said he knew nothing of this and sent me a contact for booking vaccinations. After about half an hour on the phone they told me that they could only book first and second or booster doses as my doctor had not identified me as a patient needing a third dose.
I remembered that I had initially been offered a jab at Guys, but had turned it down for a local one as I didn't want to travel on a crowded train, so I booked a phone appointment with the lupus unit and asked the doctor I spoke to if I could get one through the hospital, I could, but it would take ages, instead he sent me a text "To whom it may concern..." identifying me as a patient who needed a third primary dose. I took this to my doctors and showed it to them and they put a medical secretary in charge of investigating with a promise to get back to me. After a couple of days I had heard nothing, but got another text, this time from the vaccine people, saying according to their records I needed it and should get in touch with my GP or consultant, so I took that down the doctors and showed them, the receptionist said "unfortunately the secretary is off today, and no one else is here, but I will pass it on"
The next day I got a text from the vaccine people saying that according to their records I was due a third one and should get in touch with my GP or consultant, so I went to my local vaccine center and they said sorry they had run out of vaccine, so then I went down to Hastings to a walk in center armed with my prescription, and my phone with the messages on it from the consultant and the vaccine people, and they gave me it. Javid, Boris, you couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
It's not them doing the organising.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
It's not them doing the organising.
Nobody seems to be. I note that the original successful vaccine roll out was done by the NHS, and the way the Govt. keeps talking about 'Our success' you would think they were responsible for the whole thing. I am not sure which 'them' you refer to, but if it is Javid and Boris, Javid was on the box claiming we would all be contacted by mid September as though he had some hand in it. On the other hand you are right; they don't seem to be organising anything, from road transport to immigration control.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I see that the laboratories that have been giving out false negatives were awarded a one hundred and nineteen million pound contract on the the false assumption that they were accredited. Seems Jenny Harries said they were. There are a lot of people still dying out there and there are going to be more. Protection falls off quicker than anticipated and the system is not geared up enough to give people their booster dose, even though it is later than might be wished, they are already well behind target. Still, lots of them will be pensioners or long term sick on costly medication, think of the money it will save. Pity about long covid, not sure how that will affect the eleven percent of school children currently affected, still, cope with that when we get to it eh!

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The doctor's surgery phoned me today to say that they could give me a number to book my third primary vaccination.
About a month and a half since I first got in touch with them and a week tomorrow since I organised it for myself, God help the un-organised.