Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How do you overcome writer's block? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura

Hello, I am a brand new member here and I am still learning how to use the forum. I have a quick question, what do you guys use to overcome writer's block? I am a boat lost at sea.

Robdemanc

It depends why you have writers block. Is it because you are stuck for ideas? Or is it because a problem in your life is stopping you from writing?

Sometimes it is best to take a break and forget about writing, then usually an idea will come.

Abdul-fattah

When I'm stuck it's usually because I have a good idea of where I want the story to go, but no idea on how to get there.
Unfortunately I've found no solution for that. I usually just sit it out and spend my time on another story.

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
i play video games and listen to music, one or the other usually fills my creative stores back up ;)

TheStory

I only reach a true block when I am either severely depressed from something else or I didn't care much for the project to begin with. There isn't much I can do about it. However if I need to get into a writing mood I do a lot of daydreaming and listening to music. Lots of calming activities in a quiet calm environment.

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
I only reach a true block when I am either severely depressed from something else or I didn't care much for the project to begin with. There isn't much I can do about it. However if I need to get into a writing mood I do a lot of daydreaming and listening to music. Lots of calming activities in a quiet calm environment.

It's funny you mention calm. I was just thinking about it and for some reason I always want to write when it's all crazy around me. I guess I just thrive on chaos.

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
Writer's block is what people who want to 'be a writer' call it when they don't want to actually write. In my opinion, if you have to be in the "right mood" to write, you aren't yet serious about the craft. If you want to write as a hobby it's fine to wait for inspiration. If you want to write to be published then it is work, and work requires the discipline to show up and do the stuff that's not fun in order to get the job completed. If you take shadowwalker's advice and regularly plant derriere in chair and cough up a few hundred words, you will find that it gets easier. Your mind and your creativity will grow accustom to the routine.

Jeko

WF Veterans
i play video games and listen to music, one or the other usually fills my creative stores back up

Me in a nutshell.TV also helps.

I had no idea how to write a scene in my novel, the hardest scene I'd probably ever write for it, but then I watched the artistic 'britain in a day' documentary/thing, which gave me inspiration to why writing the scene wasn't working so far.

Even if you think you'll fail, try to write. Then you'll know if you're failing. And failing is never bad - it only means in the future, you will be succeeding. In the present, you just have to try. Your writer's block might not be as big as you think - it may only exist because you're worrying about writer's blocks...

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
Me in a nutshell.TV also helps.

I had no idea how to write a scene in my novel, the hardest scene I'd probably ever write for it, but then I watched the artistic 'britain in a day' documentary/thing, which gave me inspiration to why writing the scene wasn't working so far.

Even if you think you'll fail, try to write. Then you'll know if you're failing. And failing is never bad - it only means in the future, you will be succeeding. In the present, you just have to try. Your writer's block might not be as big as you think - it may only exist because you're worrying about writer's blocks...

I've had blocks spanning the space of years. Every time I tried to write something or force it out, it was terrible, complete and utter crap. So I waited untill it felt right again

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
My writer's block comes from knowing where I want to be in my story, but not wanting to take the time to get there. In the end, the solution is as simple as people have been saying: Just sit down and do it. If it's awful, you can edit it later, but the important thing is progress.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
There is no such thing as writer's block, it is a psychosomatic condition. You just wrote your introduction, yesterday you wrote a shopping list, what you may have done is to convince yourself you can't write what you think you ought to be writing, so write about a boat in a calm...

akrathan

I think writer's block is a less of a struggle to come up with ideas, get ideas down on paper, etc., as it is a mental refusal to write what you keep telling yourself you should be writing. I spent five years wanting to write a literary, poetic, prosey masterpiece like this author or that author. Then once I decided I wasn't up to the next great American novel, I would just write a genre fiction page turner, alla Ken Follett. Then I spent a year, full time, struggling to come up with that. One day, amidst struggling, I wrote something I actually wanted to write, that came from absolutely no where, just flowed out. And I haven't been able to stop since. It ain't genius prose, it's just a story in my head. But at least I'll have something at the end to show for it. You just got to tap into that spring that writers are always talking about, and let it flow out of you. Don't think too much on it, don't expect genius prose on the first draft, don't imagine all sorts of plot twists and deep symbols, just tell something true and simple. If it's good enough for Hemingway, it's good enough for me.

TheStory

It's funny you mention calm. I was just thinking about it and for some reason I always want to write when it's all crazy around me. I guess I just thrive on chaos.

Terrible haha. That would kill me. I was just at my mothers the other day and had nothing better to do so I decided to spend some time writing. See my older sister lives with my parents with her family currently, plus I have a few very young sisters still living at home so it is very noisy. I could hardly spit out a paragraph from the noise. Too much going on when I'm trying to work grates on my nerves for some reason while otherwise I wouldn't care.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
It depends why I'm blocked.

If I'm stressed out, I'll have to de-stress before anything can happen.

It's scientifically proven that parts of the brain responsible for creativity and learning actually "turn off" when cortisol (stress hormone) is high. All the activity goes straight to the motor functions for fight-or-flight, which is why when people are nervous they shake and feel butterflies and are twitchy, you're ready to fight the cougar or run from the lion, but you're most likely not ready to create a work of art or weave beautiful prose.

Staring at the sky for a few minutes usually helps, for me. It's like looking at a giant piece of ever-changing art.

If I'm blocked because I can't come up with any ideas, I go to outlining. I brainstorm different scenes and things I would like to happen in my story, then I write down one sentence summaries of each of these. Then I try to come up with what happens in between. It's a lot easier (for me) to create a ten to twenty sentence outline, when creatively blocked, than it is to write prose. I'll stick with the outline until I feel inspired to write again.

If I'm blocked because I can't write any good prose.. well, then I don't worry about it, I just write crappy prose! I know that in the revision stage I can go back and delete, rewrite, rearrange, insert, etc... Just getting the basic skeleton of the story down first works well enough for me. Then in the second draft stage I'll fill in the body.

And finally if I'm blocked because I have no enthusiasm or motivation, then I'll read my favorite authors. Ray Bradbury, Jennifer Egan, Karen Russell, John Irving, H.G. Wells, Jack London... Seeing their work reminds me of all the wonderful possibilities and I allow them to awe and inspire me until I'm biting at the bit to break from the starting gate!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

wyf

when i get blocked i write angry. I rant about all the shit that bogs me down and makes me feel bad, i write horrible, nasty, hateful stuff and when its finally out of my system, I delete it.

Any time I get to a "writer's block", I can do either of this things:
*Try harder to write. The thing that is most difficult for is to get X guy from A point to B point (where the cool thing should actually happen). When that happens, I would write that part in B point, and then go back to the A point, without all that anxiety about where my guy should go, so I write freely. It takes longer, though, but I'm always happy about how it turns out. Even if you are not, you have written something, and you can always get something good from everything you write.
*Or do something else. I like reading mangas. Sometimes, when I run out of ideas or don't know what to do next or where my story should go, I read some mangas from the same genre as my story. I actually don't plagiarize, but cool ideas often come to me when I read something I enjoy. You don't have to read mangas if you are not interested in them: watch a movie or some chapters from a series... Sometimes it helps :) (it always helps me)

Status
Not open for further replies.