Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How do you know which character should make a decision in this scenario? (1 Viewer)

ironpony

My story is a crime thriller and the main character is a cop. I need him to go on a case assignment but not sure how to proceed. Either his superior assigns him to it, and maybe he reacts like he doesn't want it and thinks the assignment is BS, to create some tension.

Or I can write it so the assignment is the main character's idea, but the superior thinks it's BS and he has to convince his superior to give it to him. Either way, he gets the assignment and the outcome is the same but not sure which path to choose to get the same outcome.

Does anyone have any idea on how to know which character should come up with the idea in this case, especially if the outcome seems the same, which makes it harder to decide Thanks for any information on it! I really appreciate it!

MooreMom523

Speaking from the perspective of someone with law enforcement ties, your first scenario is the most likely if you are trying to be realistic. I can't count the number of cases that have landed on a loved ones desk that they grumbled endlessly about -- but ended up working out quite well and not for complaints later on.

I think part of it depends on the personality of the cop. Is he pushy by nature? Bull headed? If so then him pushing for a job he wants makes sense - does he have a personal tie to the crime? That might also make the second scene make sense. Is this a crime you want him to go into gung ho about?

I think a lot will depend on the energy of the cop. If you have written him as high drive, wrapped up in his career, and over eager then go with the second. If he tends to be more laid back and you want to write him as such with maybe some reluctance or second guessing of the case - then the first makes more sense.

ironpony

Okay thanks. The main character becomes more bull headed later. I wanted him to go through a character arc, where he starts out as an honest cop but then becomes a vengeful corrupt later on. But this is in the beginning when he is honest. So I wasn't thinking of in terms of laid back or bull headed, but if honest to corrupt and vengeful is the character arc, does this help determine who's idea the assignment should be?

MooreMom523

Okay thanks. The main character becomes more bull headed later. I wanted him to go through a character arc, where he starts out as an honest cop but then becomes a vengeful corrupt later on. But this is in the beginning when he is honest. So I wasn't thinking of in terms of laid back or bull headed, but if honest to corrupt and vengeful is the character arc, does this help determine who's idea the assignment should be?
I would lean toward the assignment being handed over to him then. He has a built in irritation going in over being given the assignment which plays into a change of heart/character.