Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How do I write characters in a satire? (1 Viewer)

So I intend to write a story where the characterization of the cast mostly consists of negative stereotypes of the types of people I am satirizing. How do I make the characters entertaining to read about in spite of them not necessarily being likeable people? How can I have the audience laugh at them?

Last edited:

druid12000

Read any book by Christopher Moore. Really, pay attention to how he builds his characters, it will give you a good starting point. I would suggest starting with my personal favorite, 'Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal', or 'Fluke'.

Over-the-top mannerisms can work but I would study the stereotypes to see what makes them tick. Take them apart and look at the pieces, then slap 'em back together in a different order and see how they look.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
Watch a few episodes of Big bang.
If Sheldon can become a beloved character, than anyone can.

Really the question is too broad. it's like asking "How to write?" :)

Question: These characters...are they based on people you know or movie characters/actors?

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
For the record. with a project like this I usually talk through the dialog and interactions.
Yep, I literally drive down the road talking to myself.
Worse yet, I do it in their voice/
Hearing the dialog and interactions helps me firm up the characters and root out inconsistent actions/responses.
I am always asking myself "Would character X really do this?"

Hewlett

You want to make an audience laugh, but don't know much about comedy. It's not something I see very often anymore, but you can always try watching cartoons? Its not impossible, but I hope it turns out well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread