Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How do first publishing rights work? (1 Viewer)

WasatchWind

A lot of my progress in working on my fantasy novel was stalled when a professional editor found my work on royal road and warned my not to post anymore, because I could forsake first publishing rights (I'd posted about 24 chapters of a probably 60+ chapter story).

Since then, I have been very on edge about this. Is sharing my google doc with a large number of people online forsaking publishing rights? Here on the forums I see stuff like "post excerpts here so you don't forsake publishing rights."

Am I in danger of losing rights just for having even an excerpt online? I would like to know this for sure - I really would like to publish this, and if I've already lost the rights... well, I don't want to waste my time working on it.

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
This is a pretty easy to understand article. If you plan to submit it to publishers, then I would not have it available at an online site like Royal Road. But you can take it down now, I doubt that many folks have read it, right? Generally, it is acceptable to publish to a private forum for critique such as some of WritingForums member-only areas, but even then, they suggest you take it down once you've gotten feedback. The bottom line is a publisher doesn't want to invest money to sell something that is readily available somewhere else for free.

WasatchWind

This is a pretty easy to understand article. If you plan to submit it to publishers, then I would not have it available at an online site like Royal Road. But you can take it down now, I doubt that many folks have read it, right? Generally, it is acceptable to publish to a private forum for critique such as some of WritingForums member-only areas, but even then, they suggest you take it down once you've gotten feedback. The bottom line is a publisher doesn't want to invest money to sell something that is readily available somewhere else for free.

well... I still have it up on those sites. On wattpad it has 5.8k views. That however is mostly just how many people only clicked on it.

But it annoys me, like... even in a members only forum, in an obscure place, a fragment of my first draft... apparently that is too much for a publisher? It sound needlessly nitpicky to me.

WasatchWind

I am trying desperately to scrub my story from the public internet - but even where it is deleted, I can still google "Rip Current Wattpad" or "Rip Current Royal Road" and find it, even though the story has been deleted.

My story will certainly change titles, by I am just really, really afraid of a prospective publisher discovering this...