Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How Did You Come By Your User Name? (1 Viewer)

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
My real name is Susan. My friends call me Sue. My last name begins with a C. Seemed like a natural to me, as I'm not creative enough to come up with a user name that's me, but not me. :)

Crooked Bird

Mine doesn't have a big story, but in my fanciful days in college I identified myself with a swallow because it flies both high and low, and I love highfalutin intellectual abstractions and getting my hands in the dirt and couldn't really do without either. I called myself SwallowFeather initially on other forums because Swallow tended to be already taken and/or to sound too much like it's about eating, but I started to think it sounded cutesy. In The Poisonwood Bible one of the characters, who has a disability and an unusual way of thinking, learns the local word for swallow in the corner of Africa she's in and it translates to something along the lines of crooked bird. I liked that--it sounded cooler and added another level of meaning. I rarely fly straight. :)

Last edited: