Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

How can I find others who are interested in talking historical fiction on this site? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyralen

I'm a newbie here, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Or maybe it doesn't exist here?
How would I start such a thing? Because wouldn't I love to discuss historical research with other writers!
Also what about futuristic novels?

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I'm a newbie here, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Or maybe it doesn't exist here?
How would I start such a thing? Because wouldn't I love to discuss historical research with other writers!
Also what about futuristic novels?

Yeah, writing discussion. But - are you a "newbie"? It seems like you've been here forever... :)

Llyralen

The workshop is not the place for this kind of thread. In answer to your question, writing discussion or sensitive research are probably the best places to go. Folks in the fiction workshop will critique anything, so long as it's, ya know, fiction.

I was surprised at where this seemed to end up. I thought I put it in “Writing forums: Writing Discussions”. And then when I click on your link it does show me that this thread is there... but when I click on forums it looks like it shows up in the fiction workshop? So... now I’m even more confused...

Edit: I double-checked and it is in both places so now I’m feeling more newbish and disoriented than ever...
it looks like what I do to one of the threads it does to the other thread, a continuous copy. Okay.... interesting.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Edit: I double-checked and it is in both places so now I’m feeling more newbish and disoriented than ever...
it looks like what I do to one of the threads it does to the other thread, a continuous copy. Okay.... interesting.
I moved it for you to the right place, and left a link in the other place. When you click that you end up here too :)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm interested in discussions on historical research, but only back a few decades. Does that work?

Llyralen

I moved it for you to the right place, and left a link in the other place. When you click that you end up here too :)

Thank you, Darren!
How can we make this into a thing? Not just a thread. Like a whole area for different genre discussions? I personally really crave that and I can’t imagine that other people don’t. I’ve been looking for places on the internet to talk history in the context of writing it (which is so different than just history) for a while. There is so much to talk about and so many expertise but someone’s in-depth knowledge of Germany in the 850’s could help me so much with my Scandinavian of the 850’s. And for other genres? What about as Sci-Fi or futuristic? Or just fantasy in general? It would be nice if there was a “Place” to go rather than just threads to find. And I do like this site and the people here. Could you please discuss this with the other moderators? Wouldn’t people want this? I’ve been trying to find a good place for historical writers for several months now and haven’t.

Llyralen

I'm interested in discussions on historical research, but only back a few decades. Does that work?

Well it does. The requirements for my short story... the one with the prostitute... is that it will be published in a book where we are all picking someone to write about that lives in 1 apartment building in New York in 1972 and the characters are supposed to interact. So we get on Zoom and discuss how the stories can intertwine. So fun! Anyway I’ve had to research a lot to immerse myself into 1972.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager

Thank you, Darren!
How can we make this into a thing? Not just a thread. Like a whole area for different genre discussions? I personally really crave that and I can’t imagine that other people don’t. I’ve been looking for places on the internet to talk history in the context of writing it (which is so different than just history) for a while. There is so much to talk about and so many expertise but someone’s in-depth knowledge of Germany in the 850’s could help me so much with my Scandinavian of the 850’s. And for other genres? What about as Sci-Fi or futuristic? Or just fantasy in general? It would be nice if there was a “Place” to go rather than just threads to find. And I do like this site and the people here. Could you please discuss this with the other moderators? Wouldn’t people want this? I’ve been trying to find a good place for historical writers for several months now and haven’t.

I think we should have a separate area for sci-fi, fantasy and horror too; maybe - and hear me out on this - somewhere under the fiction workshop thread ... ;)

Llyralen

Well you found me. I'm interested in historical fiction.

What are your areas?
Mine are Europe’s migration era (300-800 AD). And Viking era Scandinavia and surrounding time (700-1450ish) and now Greenland Norse and Inuit 1000-1550’s.
Not that I’m not interested in many other times, but I could probably write some textbooks at this point, been on the case for 11 years with Viking culture. No, I don’t think it’s been good for my writing. I write a line and then go read a book or archeology article... I can’t seem to stop the study part. Hopefully I will become like a normal writer and start writing again.

What areas are your interests?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well it does. The requirements for my short story... the one with the prostitute... is that it will be published in a book where we are all picking someone to write about that lives in 1 apartment building in New York in 1972 and the characters are supposed to interact. So we get on Zoom and discuss how the stories can intertwine. So fun! Anyway I’ve had to research a lot to immerse myself into 1972.

The book sounds very cool! What are your research techniques?

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
I like your enthusiasm :)

I am very sorry that I have to disappoint you. We have been greatly decreasing the number of forums, and it works well. In the past there were a few subforums, but the discussion became enormously splintered, and the forum a regular mammoth where no one could find their way through anymore. So I suggest you state clearly in your subject line what the discussion will be about, that will suffice. There is also the Research subforum where you can ask specific questions.

Furthermore, we are preparing for a move to a new forum, and the slimmer our forum, the easier the move.

https://www.writingforums.com/threads/190183-WF-Will-Upgrade-to-New-Forum-Software!

Thank you, Darren!

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have to run but you’ll hear an ear-full later. Have a good day! /hugs.

My current WIP is set in New York in 2000-2002. It also has some flashbacks to the Chinese cultural revolution 1966-1977. And in Mexico and East Germany in the seventies. Some of my characters have fled from these countries for various reasons. I plan on writing a prequel on these characters after my current WIP is complete.

I have really been enjoying the research part. Of course there is a ton of stuff on the internet. I wonder how authors did this pre-google. One of my favourite techniques is to actually find a person in the period of some noteriety and then research that person.

I look forward to the discussion!

EternalGreen

What are your areas?
Mine are Europe’s migration era (300-800 AD). And Viking era Scandinavia and surrounding time (700-1450ish) and now Greenland Norse and Inuit 1000-1550’s.
Not that I’m not interested in many other times, but I could probably write some textbooks at this point, been on the case for 11 years with Viking culture. No, I don’t think it’s been good for my writing. I write a line and then go read a book or archeology article... I can’t seem to stop the study part. Hopefully I will become like a normal writer and start writing again.

What areas are your interests?

The nineteenth century is my era. Particularly New York, New England, and Pennsylvania.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
What are your areas?

The Vikings would be really great to read about. Are you writing a novel, short story or non-fiction? Do you know if the show Vikings on History chanel is historically accurate. I love the characters, especially Lagertha and Ivor.

I was just up at the library and wandered into the history section. Wow...is that ever enticing. I had to pull myself away after awhile or I would have started a new WIP.

Llyralen

I like your enthusiasm :)

I am very sorry that I have to disappoint you. We have been greatly decreasing the number of forums, and it works well. In the past there were a few subforums, but the discussion became enormously splintered, and the forum a regular mammoth where no one could find their way through anymore. So I suggest you state clearly in your subject line what the discussion will be about, that will suffice. There is also the Research subforum where you can ask specific questions.

Furthermore, we are preparing for a move to a new forum, and the slimmer our forum, the easier the move.

https://www.writingforums.com/threads/190183-WF-Will-Upgrade-to-New-Forum-Software!

Okay. I can see that happening especially with all the different history niches, but I guess it was going on with all of the genres too. Okay, I'll work on making threads that hopefully generate good discussions with those who are interested.

Llyralen

My current WIP is set in New York in 2000-2002. It also has some flashbacks to the Chinese cultural revolution 1966-1977. And in Mexico and East Germany in the seventies. Some of my characters have fled from these countries for various reasons. I plan on writing a prequel on these characters after my current WIP is complete.

I have really been enjoying the research part. Of course there is a ton of stuff on the internet. I wonder how authors did this pre-google. One of my favourite techniques is to actually find a person in the period of some noteriety and then research that person.

I look forward to the discussion!

How interesting this WIP sounds! Intriguing different pieces coming together. How fascinating is the Chinese Cultural Revolution! That would definitely catch my attention as an elevator pitch.

I can see where picking a historical person would really submerse you in the culture and thoughts of that time. That is a good technique!

This might be a boring play by play, I'm not sure:
I'm just thinking back of when I was told that this story would be from 1972 and the address of an apartment building. One of the first things I do is go to GoogleEarth and start walking down streets and looking around and checking out photos of places. I want to be able to picture my surroundings and get a "feel" for the land. She's by the library and right by Central Park. I started doing it years ago and I found it was so helpful. Next I want to know what my character's name is. In this case I looked up what were the most common names given the years that my characters were born. It turns out that 5% of all girls born in the late 40's was Linda... the most trendy name in history. Then I wanted to know what was going on around the date I was writing. There was the 3rd New York/Manhattan marathon and I read about how it was super casual with only a few people going to it and hardly anyone finishing. It's changed a lot! Then I wanted to talk about the music scene and movie scene. I checked which concerts were at Central Park that she might have wanted to go to. Peggy Lee sang in July... she would have loved that.

Originally I wasn't going to write about a prostitute, I was going to write about an African-American woman who was an art historian at the Guggenheim. So I looked at pictures of the Guggenheim and learned what other museums are close. A bunch. I figured out she has an expertise in Rodan sculpture and art. I found online records about a Rodan exhibit at the Guggenheim that happened in March 1972, she would have been involved.
I checked out the movie scene and the political scene from that time. I then switched to another story that I am writing about a girl (also named Linda lol) who was born in a Japanese Internment (Concentration) Camp in Topaz, Utah. I already know some about that particular camp. Her mom went to New York after. But she is trying to find her writer's voice and has felt prejudice. The very first documentary about the USA's Japanese Internment Camps came out right around this story. There was this changing America that went from really hating the Japanese to admiring them. But she learns her voice from the African American woman I was speaking about and then also through loosing her writer's notebook at the library and through the experience of this loss she finds a mentor. He turns out to be a man who survived a Nazi concentration camp and whose daughter died there. These 2 people encourage her to know that her story IS an American story.

I did this with my Greenland book too. Place, Person, Things I guess. I watched many videos about the Greenland landscape. I researched names from the Faroe Islands and from Iceland. I've read a bunch of sagas written about Iceland from the time period so I had kind of a good "feel" of names but I wanted to see how different the names from the Faroes were... it gave me an idea. Then I started looking up differences in the language... we know SOME about Greenland Norse. I started to acquire books and articles. I study the witch hunts there and in Iceland and in other areas across Scandinavia as my main plot focuses around the real witch burning of Kolgrim. I studied the climate from that time. What would be cut off by ice? What were people living off of? What were their clothes like? What exports and imports were important. I had to also study pirating in the 1400's and the merchant guilds and everything that politically made it so that Greenland got cut off from Norway and had to start trading with England more and the Englanders were pirating and stealing people as slaves from both Iceland and Greenland. Through all of that I was also studying the Inuit, watching tons of videos of them from now and from the 1930's and reading accounts written down by anthropologists that are their own stories. This is a current of joy through the book and through me as I study them too... not that there aren't problems. Greenlander Norse also were the suppliers of the kings hawks in Europe (also "unicorn horn" which are Narwale horns that were worth a LOT in Europe". My character trains hawks with her uncle Kolgrim and her friend who will become her love interest goes to hunt narwhale and seal every spring... and the hunting grounds (Disco Bay) is actually about 500 miles from the settlement and at the point of my story the Inuit have pretty much taken Disco Bay back over. The book I've really needed was luckily written... "The Frozen Echo" Unluckily it doesn't include the newer archeology and we can tell SO MUCH now from teeth for one. I think it was written in '97, but it's a pretty amazing analysis of how this settlement that was alive and well for 500 years, died out. Something that has been infuriating, though? No English account of the pages that we have from the Greenlander anals that were sent to Iceland as proof of a couple's wedding there. And it talks about the wedding and then Kolgrim's death. I couldn't believe it. I wrote to the biggest museum in Greenland and they couldn't find it. There is an account in Danish online and I do speak some Danish (I lived there for 2 years) but honestly... it is so hard. the s's look like f's and I'm searching through all of these chapters about all sorts of different things in order to find it... my MOST IMPORTANT ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. Ugg. I need to go back to that, but then we started writing the short stories.

I do love research. It is so delightful and fulfilling.

Place, person, things... I hadn't put it together like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.