Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Horrible Lines From Good Books (1 Viewer)

ClancyBoy

In this thread we share crappy writing by otherwise good authors.

Michael Chabon's book A Model World when has this stinker:

"Sheila had long, kinky black hair, spectacular eyelashes, and a nose that, like Ira's, flirted dangerously, but on the whole successfully, with immenseness."

What a horribly stilted way to say someone had a really big nose.

ClancyBoy

Chabon has long greasy hair, wire-rimmed spectacles and a goatee. Yeah. He and David Foster Wallace should form a club.

To keep this thread on track though, Great Expectations has I line I hate, too. It was the chapter after pip beat up the wiry mick farmhand. He said he "hoped some dregs of good would come if it."

"dregs of good?" Argh, that sucks. Shame on you Mr. Dickens.

Shawn

WF Veterans
I don't know... am I the only one that thinks Animal Farm was good writing, but bad prose?

I'm not sure how to describe that one.

D

demonchild4110

I love Animal Farm! But I have always felt that 1984 is WAY over-rated!

quignov

I am saddened by this discussion. The only "positive" outcome of this discussion is that we see, authors that are considered great, are merely human. It is a shame when we take books that we love and adore, and attempt to find minute "discrepancies" that we may have with them. It is the book, as a whole, that is great, therefore, ripping the writer apart because of a single line is just a self-prophetic exercise. Does it make you feel as if your actually more intelligent than you really are to find errors in these authors' writings? Please, look for the positive in historically recognized authors and respect their abilities, as I am sure you would like them to do to you.

raymondstary

I am saddened by this discussion. The only "positive" outcome of this discussion is that we see, authors that are considered great, are merely human. It is a shame when we take books that we love and adore, and attempt to find minute "discrepancies" that we may have with them. It is the book, as a whole, that is great, therefore, ripping the writer apart because of a single line is just a self-prophetic exercise. Does it make you feel as if your actually more intelligent than you really are to find errors in these authors' writings? Please, look for the positive in historically recognized authors and respect their abilities, as I am sure you would like them to do to you.
Thank you. If I were you, I wouldn't want people analyzing my sentences, either.

But, by an author's involvment in this topic, aren't we calling the author 'good' and as a result not so much 'ripping [them] apart'. Furthermore, since this is indeed a writing forum and the authors here are being described as 'good', is it not implied that the respect that we should have for their abilities we, in fact, do.

((I don't necassarily disagree with you, but I do find the need to make sure that other sids of the story are made clear.))

Oracle

I think the thread is harmless, and amusing. Nobody's perfect. Every writer's got a bad line somewhere. This thread can be educational too-- you can see what makes a bad line and avoid it in your writing.

Alas, I don't have a line to offer. I flipped through a few books I had lying around and couldn't really find anything. I'll definitely post one if I find it though :p