Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"Homestay" - completely changed (1 Viewer)

Lost Kosmonaut

I have nothing of the actual screenplay written yet, but I do have a little outline for what I want to happen. I have yet add the ending reveal, or any real detail, but I think this could turn out really good if I work hard at it.

(note that these bullets are not done chronologically to the story, they're just scribbled as they come to mind)

-comes back home from Japan homestay
-morbidly depressed, tries to kill self
-hallucinates to extent to wonders whether things have really occurred or not
-says fell in love with host sister while in Japan, but will not explain why he won't talk with her
-emotional stability problems throughout lifetime?
-new girl he meets after a while = hope, she believes him
-thinks maybe Japan homestay was not real, or maybe just parts of it weren't - questions to himself which were real... girl fell he in love with in Japan actually a hallucination? he's actually just clinically depressed and creates reasons to be that way? Nobody believes him?
-ambiguous to answers (MAYBE)?

They say you're supposed to write about what you know. I happen to know Japanese, as I did stay there for a long time, and I already have dysthymia, so I have those down. I think I have the power to make a real tragedy, hah.

Last edited:

mammamaia

i don't see any plot yet, lk... and a screenplay needs three acts... so think: 1. beginning/set-up, 2. middle/obstacles to overcome, and 3. ending/resolution...

Lost Kosmonaut

mammamaia said:
i don't see any plot yet, lk... and a screenplay needs three acts... so think: 1. beginning/set-up, 2. middle/obstacles to overcome, and 3. ending/resolution...
A few of my favorite movies don't follow that scheme. I'm not saying that what I'm doing might not eventually end up that way, because that's an extremely simple framework. But, one thine Garden State has taught me is that you can have a classic without using the three-arc structure as a crutch.

Last edited:

mammamaia

i was referring to 3-act... not 3-arc... a character 'arc' is something else entirely...

regardless of whether you think you'll have 3 acts, or fewer [or more], you still don't have a plot yet... i was simply giving you a method by which you could develop one...

fyi, the 3-act structure is anything but a 'crutch'!... it's the basis for all tale-telling... your script, like all stories, will have a beginning, a middle, and an end, no matter how you want to describe it...

Lost Kosmonaut

That is, unless you decide to randomly not include a "setup" or "resolution". I don't think I'd do that, but these are hypothetical situations in which you wouldn't have 3 acts.

mammamaia

what i said in my last post above has nothing to do with 'set-up' or 'resolution'... just beginning, middle, and end of anything you 'tell'...

and, if you have no 'beginning' no 'middle' and no 'end,' then what the heck would you have?... how can a movie or any story not start and end?... and how could it have nothing in between a non-start and a non-end?

Users who are viewing this thread