Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hive Mind Request (1 Viewer)

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hello fine denizens of WF.
I'm putting together a list of search words for my non fiction book
Title
The Book of Fighting Climate Change
I have all the usual suspects and I'm tempted to add Zombie Apocalypse.
Anyone have a suggestion or two?

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Cremation
Particulates
Cooling systems
Tundra
Political hot air, Greta, blah blah blah.
Vehicle production energy cost versus running, energy cost

A little off subject, we are always told how safe aircraft are in terms of crashes per thousands of miles flown, but they carry a lot of passengers, if you reckon it in deaths per thousands of miles flown the picture is reversed.

robertn51

Friends of WF
I've watched this scroll-by with each pass today and keep wanting to engage. But I'd have to ask "How does one fight a fact?" and it all goes downhill from there.

So. Clarity?

Is this book repudiating the presence of and the risks of and the response to Climate Change?

Or

Is this book collecting ways to mitigate the causes and effects of Climate Change?

Or maybe something else. Or both? Which would be interestingly wicked.

Maybe I'm being a complete downer on this gorgeous Fall day here in the woods near Cleveland, Ohio, USA, and maybe I'm taking it all just too too seriously, etc., but
"... There are some times when you should try to find your voice
This is one voice that you must find today..."

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I've watched this scroll-by with each pass today and keep wanting to engage. But I'd have to ask "How does one fight a fact?" and it all goes downhill from there.

So. Clarity?

Is this book repudiating the presence of and the risks of and the response to Climate Change?

Or

Is this book collecting ways to mitigate the causes and effects of Climate Change?

Or maybe something else. Or both? Which would be interestingly wicked.

Maybe I'm being a complete downer on this gorgeous Fall day here in the woods near Cleveland, Ohio, USA, and maybe I'm taking it all just too too seriously, etc., but
"... There are some times when you should try to find your voice
This is one voice that you must find today..."
Hi Rob,
I'm trying to provide a practical, reasonably inexpensive and speedy method to offset some of the climate change catastrophe that is looming ever closer. It ain't perfect, but if we waited for perfect it would be too late.
BC

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Cremation
Particulates
Cooling systems
Tundra
Political hot air, Greta, blah blah blah.
Vehicle production energy cost versus running, energy cost

A little off subject, we are always told how safe aircraft are in terms of crashes per thousands of miles flown, but they carry a lot of passengers, if you reckon it in deaths per thousands of miles flown the picture is reversed.
Thanks Olly, you have kicked my hind brain into motion.

robertn51

Friends of WF
if we waited for perfect it would be too late
Amen.

So I'll tuck things in here as they come

To begin, though, not all will be text. That will be a problem for your plan until transcripts can be linked. But the content in there might consistently link outward from within. (The "Destructive Agriculture" one, linked below, does have a list of links for the episode content.)

This morning, a series of podcasts from Solvable.

Meaningful climate action requires thoughtful engagement from across all sectors, regions, nations -- from all of us. Check out these recent Solvable episodes for additional solutions and for ways that you can get involved:

Destructive Agriculture is Solvable with Rachel Stroer
Wildfire Ignition is Solvable with Eric Appel
The Lack of Basic Sanitation in the United States is Solvable with Catherine Coleman Flowers
The Slow Regrowth of Vulnerable Coral Reefs is Solvable with Sarah Hamlyn
Fighting Climate Change Through Incentivized Prizes and Innovation with Anousheh Ansari
Making Transportation Systems Eco-friendly is a Solvable Problem with Laura Schewel
Addiction to Fossil Fuels is Solvable with Bill McKibben

I've listened to the opening cast and it is useful. Especially the hope part:
Climate Change Despondency is Solvable
Host Ronald Young Jr. sits down with Malcolm Gladwell to talk about climate change: the power of individual choices, cultural shifts and what to expect from the business sector too. Meaningful climate action requires thoughtful engagement from across all sectors, regions, nations -- from all of us.

And I've listened to the first in that list above:
Destructive Agriculture is Solvable
Rachel Stroer is the acting president of the Land Institute. She believes that many of the ecological and economic problems stemming from our current dependence on monoculture farming can be solved through investing in regenerative agriculture.

If the remaining six episodes are as good, there's hope in that list.

Oddly, once past the cynicism of WalMart becoming a hero, I can see it working. And in WalBucks (avowed) committment a sense there is a future to be lived.

I'll add other things as they appear

Thanks for doing this.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
"Fighting" climate change; my first thought was that everything is expressed in conflict terms, you know, like 'The war on drugs'. Then I thought 'Why not take it a bit more literally?' After all the military are actually quite good at working out ways of winning. Maybe your reading list should include On war, The book of five rings, and a few others like that. How could the principles of winning be applied to a peaceful cause. Gluing yourself to a motorway may feel good, but it doesn't seem to be affecting undesirable behaviour.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
PS The Utility of force, by General Rupert Smith, second in command NATO (First in command has to be American). One of the few books I have read twice.

robertn51

Friends of WF
Here's perhaps a cross-pollinating companion?

It might be worthwhile to keep on eye this Carbon Almanac project.
It’s a zero-profit venture, a group effort designed to create a print and digital document that fills the vital niche between the cutting edge and apathy.
The Carbon Almanac will be a collection of tables, graphs, history, quotes, explanations and maps about the state of carbon in our world today. It's a zero-profit all-volunteer project, built by a cadre of people online and eventually shared widely.

Aside: Seth can be a bit of a koan-ish "Yoda" about things. But he seems comfortable with chaos.
Chaos:
When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
And isn't this uncertain determinism at the absolute core of the Climate Change conflict?