Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

His Dark Materials Trilogy (1 Viewer)

G

Gnomeling

Hey all,
Just wondering if neone has read this trilogy (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) for those unaware of the seperate titles 8) . I thought that these books were amazing and up till now they are my second most favourite stories i've ever read, dwarfed oly by the Lord of the Rings. I thoughtthat his ideas were unbelievable and that they were extremly well written. Much better than i thought that they would ever be when i first heard about them. So yeah...open for discussion...whatever
later

L

Lykkwid

the ending made me very depressed. Have you read Lyra Oxford that's a ok book but it's very short.

Also the Golden Compass here in the UK is called Northern Lights, there was some mistake made when the book was sent over to America and they changed the name of book 1.

G

Gnomeling

wow never new that..that's kinda cool..go figure the americans would screw it up :wink: . just joking just joking..wouldn't insult my neighbor to bad eh!? anyway, the same sort of thing happened to the Philosiphers stone...it's called the sorcerers over here in norht america, even in Canada where i'm from. You can by both editions but the english name is so much more truthful than sorcerer.anyway....

TimK

My parents bought me these a couple years ago for Christmas, I think it was. I tried once to read The Golden Compass. It started excellently! Then several chapters in Pullman started IIRC to pile on fantasy elements too fast, and it started to get silly. But that was a while ago that I tried to read it. Maybe I'll try again. ;)

-TimK

Kitten Courna

One of the better series I've read, ever. Something I would read to my hypothetical children...hypothetically. A group of my friends is planning on reading it together with Paradise Lost.

-Kitten

R

RONIN

I enjoyed the series. The start was nice with some mystery and fantasy thrown in but I found the story slowly became less and less... exciting and a little more weird. I liked the ending and all thoughs things with the wheels and seeds and stuff. I can't remember thier names.

i love this trilogy. philip pullman is one of my fave authors right now as i have just recently finished this. and i was a bit confused there when i saw 'golden compass', lol. i know it as 'northern lights', but i'm clear on whats going on there now. =) i own a copy of northern lights, but i don't have the other two, borrowed those. i've got all these little descriptions that i loved highlighted in northern lights. one that stood out to me the most was of a sunset, lol.

and is the golden compass the title refers to the alethiometer? (don't think i've spelt that right, lol)

lyras oxford is a good followup, if a little confusing.

The ending to the Amber Spyglass, in my view, was a little cheesy. Although the rest of the trilogy was good, if a little confusing at times.

BookwormA

RONIN said:
I enjoyed the series. The start was nice with some mystery and fantasy thrown in but I found the story slowly became less and less... exciting and a little more weird. I liked the ending and all thoughs things with the wheels and seeds and stuff. I can't remember thier names.

melufu!!!! LOL

magikpumpkin

the trilogy for me was awesome. I loved Northern Lights best outta the 3. You could argue that the second book started to loose grip a bit becuase you werent sure what exactly all of it was leading to, but Pullman wraps it up brilliantly at the end. One of my fav authors for sure, I'd reccomend this to anyone!!

BookwormA

Pookaah said:
Loved it and I think there was a play made from it in the UK.

I heard something like that on a message board somewhere. that musta been one heck of a long play

They're making a movie out of it, which I think is the wrong move. If it were Peter Jackson, okay, sure. maybe
They're doing the guy who did American Pie I and II and American Wedding do it, which I think might make it a bit of a fiasco

tekp

The trilogy has been made into a theatre production in London, and I might be going to see it in february sometime *yay* - and it's being made into a film.

I wanna know how they're going to do the stairway at the end of book one... hmm.

I enjoyed the series, and thought the second book was the best out of the three - by introducing Will it brought a whole new meaning to Lyra i never knew about - and I think the ending in the Amber Spyglass was sufficient, if a little cliche.

The prequel, Lyra's Oxford, was quite good in my opinion, although I don't really see it's purpose..

He's writing more books about Lyra's adventures too, although I can't remember if they're to be set before or after the trilogy. I hope they're after, I wanna see how her and Pantalaimon get on without will :)

A_MacLaren

I just finished reading the trilogy again (all three in four days), and I noticed some strange things.

1) You never learn the name of Mrs. Coulter's daemon.
It's true. Think about it. You even know the name of Lord Asriel's, but not hers. Weird, no?

2) Mrs. Coulter's daemon never speaks
Actually, he says one word in The Amber Spyglass: 'Shh!'

3) The narrator never refers to Mrs. Coulter as anything but 'Mrs. Coulter'
This isn't entirely strange, because it maintains narrative continuity, but even when she turns into a strange kind of anti-hero she is still, to the narrator 'Mrs. Coulter', never 'Marisa'.

4) You never know Lord Asriel's first name

I wonder why Pullman did these things?

Creative_Insanity

Yeah, that is weird. My theories:

1) Maybe because Mrs. Coulter was the villain and Pullman wanted the reader to have an inpersonal view of her, sort of like from Lyra's point of view. An evil lady that we want to keep away from.

2) Also because Mrs. Coulter is a villain. If the daemon speaks it shows the reader that Mrs. Coulter's daemon is a person too. Er, I mean a daemon. You know what I mean, I think. Again, he probably didn't want the reader to sympathize very much.

3) From Lyra's point of view, Mrs. Coulter is Mrs. Coulter. Not Marisa. So this is the impression we're supposed to get as well. If the narrator referred to her as Marisa, it would be like the narrator and us talking over Lyra's head. Instead, it's brought to Lyra's level. Which makes sense.

4) Again, maybe because it's supposed to be from Lyra's point of view. She is the one you're supposed to sympathize with the most. Also, Lord Asriel was sort of enigmatic. Maybe it helps with this image ..?

I don't know. Just thoughts.

Jiieden

I've seen the play. It is beyond amazingly good.

The daemons they do using puppets - the puppets are handled by actors wearing only black who manipulate them, and the puppets have lanterns inside, so they glow. It is absolutely breathtaking.

Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread