Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

His dark materials-The Golden Compass (1 Viewer)

AdrienneW

After some talk about this series here, I read it. It was not what I expected based on many of the reviews and I was a little disapointed. I noticed last night they have a movie poster up for the first book in this series and based on that alone, I have a suspision it will be nothing like the book. Don't know if that is good or bad honestly.

Mike

Don't know if that is good or bad honestly.

It's bad.

I read the books a few years ago. In my opinion, not many people 'get them.' There's the enjoyable, adventurous surface-layer aspect to the books. And then there's the underlying themes.

You can bet this movie won't show very much regard to these themes. They'll make it epic and trendy, using old formulas that work (and sell). To take such a (popular?) series and actually try to relay those subtle points to a progressively disillusioned crowd of children and adults is practically unheard of. Although, they did a fairly good job on 'Pan's Labyrinth.' Then again, most people wouldn't even consider that a proper children's movie because it lacks a talking donkey or some other comedic shadow trick.