Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

hilarious-inspirational (1 Viewer)

R

Reggoguy

I just read Morton and Whitten's Secrets of the SuperOptimist (highly recommended) - has anyone who's read it ever come across any other books like it? I'm talking about the way that it serves as both a parody of self-help books and simultaneously ends up describing a philosophy that makes a lot of good sense.

Kind of like the way something like the Daily Show will use humor to get at something quite serious - except ultimately I think the book's goal is closer to teaching you than getting you to laugh out loud.

Other books anyone's read that fall into the same category?

S

stripes

i don't know if i've read any like it. i've seen books that seem to be selling themselves as doing the same thing, using humor to teach, like "Sun Tzu was a Sissy" or "the No Asshole Rule", but a) i haven't read these and b) i think both those books deal with management techniques and not general philosophies. "hilarious-inspirational" is a weird word choice, but you're right, i don't know if any other books do what secrets of the superoptimist does.

if anyone who hasn't read superoptimist has no idea what we're talking about: the book's website has a bunch of writing that didn't make it into the book but serves as a good example of the authors' style. here's a link:

http://www.superoptimist.com/archive/44/the-wonderful-conclusion-that-everythings-already-been-done