Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracosgurl

Hi everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know I'm here. :oops: I'm a little shy, sorry. I've been writing for a very long time, fiction mostly, and someone told me about this website. I'm hopefully going to have my parents get my book published soon, so maybe I'll post it to y'all. Thanks a bunch. PS. Call me kitkat. That's how I always sign posts. ;)

~kitkat

Shinn

Hey there and welcome to the forum, kitkat. Don't be shy, you enjoy being here! :)

By the way, I hope to be reading some of your work soon! :)

dracosgurl

Okay...?

o_O I have a question. I know y'all would never steal my stories, but is it okay if I put copyright on it? I feel better doing that.

Voodoo

I couldn't see the avatar very well.
If you want to.
That simple, i should be doing it.
Of course, no one wants to steal from me.
That'd be tantamount to stealing from the poor.
Yes.

WordWeaver

Okay...?

o_O I have a question. I know y'all would never steal my stories, but is it okay if I put copyright on it? I feel better doing that.

There's no need to. Copyright laws protect your work from the minute you create it. Adding a "Copyright" tag only makes you look amateur. (No offense, but I don't think that anybody'd get that far stealing your stories.)

I don't want to sound mean, but if your work on this site is any indication to how your novel looks, I'd really think twice before having "your parents" publish it for you. Better to work at your writing first before taking that route. The publishing world isn't as easy as you'd like to think it is.

Last edited:

Voodoo

It's actually automatically copyrighted?
It's only a username, not your actual name, or pseudonym.
then again, I don't know.

WordWeaver

Anything you write is already protected under copyright laws from its conception. You don't need to register it anywhere; that's just for added protection.

B

Baron

And if a he said she said occurs?

I always upload copies of my work to a secure digital vault so that in the event of the "he said, she said" situation I have copy that I can prove was written on the specific date.

There's nothing amateur about putting copyright and date on work published on the web. Plagiarism is in the dictionary because it happens.

Voodoo

Forgive me, I only got an internet connection a couple months ago.
What secure digital vault?
Just some generic host?

Voodoo

Ah, doubt there's a free one, or one on comcast.
My work's not particularly valuable yet, so I'm not worried.
Hate being poor and white.

WordWeaver

When a "He said, She said" occurs it is a matter of proving the work is originally yours. Putting "Copyright by ..... " makes no difference. Copyright "registration" only holds up if its registered through the Library of Congress. Plagiarism cases and court battles against "Stolen" work usually happen after a piece is published, rarely before. Read up on copyright laws, it clearly states that a piece is automatically protected under copyright when you create it.

And yes, it IS amateur. Editors and Publishers state this. If you don't believe me, read the Writer's Market 2007, query section for proof.

Voodoo

Ha.
My situation, I won't get published until

I've skill
and I'm out of the hellhole.

If someone wants to see my work published, hey.

good for me/them.

WordWeaver

Ha.
My situation, I won't get published until

I've skill
and I'm out of the hellhole.

If someone wants to see my work published, hey.

good for me/them.

Nobody is going to waste their time stealing unpublished work and going through the hassal of getting it published themselves. If a piece is worthy of publication you as the author would certaintly get to it first. If they do persist on trying to claim it as their own - I pitty them.

The cases you hear about Plagiarism are usually after the piece gets published, or while it's in the process. Then you get the people that step up and say, "Hey that's mine." You as the original author hold all rough drafts and notes on the work, so you will have a more convincing case.

But hell, I never worry about plagiarism anyway. Stealing my work won't get anybody anywhere. In fact, they'd be awfully embarassed to say that it is their work. :tongue:

Last edited:

Voodoo

So, 'tis resolved with a simple

"Who the hell would want us?"

Still, thread op, if you're that worried, don't post.

B

Baron

When a "He said, She said" occurs it is a matter of proving the work is originally yours. Putting "Copyright by ..... " makes no difference. Copyright "registration" only holds up if its registered through the Library of Congress. Plagiarism cases and court battles against "Stolen" work usually happen after a piece is published, rarely before. Read up on copyright laws, it clearly states that a piece is automatically protected under copyright when you create it.

And yes, it IS amateur. Editors and Publishers state this. If you don't believe me, read the Writer's Market 2007, query section for proof.

Is this the place to argue about this? My view? I've been writing since the late sixties, based in the UK most of the time. There are many ways to establish copyright without having to formally register. One favourite method used to be to simply post your copy to yourself by registered post.

As for amateur v professional, as long as people are prepared to pay for what I write, and they do, then I consider myself professional. The definition of professional is that you get paid to do it. I couldn't really care less what anyone else thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.