Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi new here with quick questions. (1 Viewer)

K

Kongzilla

Hi, my name is Cal and I’m new to the forum. I’ve been a huge movie buff most of my life and I’ve recently got the notion that maybe I can write a screenplay for the silver screen. I’ve gone ahead and started my education on the subject by ordering a few books (used ones of course trying to pinch a penny here) on the art of screenwriting.

As of right now I’m reading Syd Field’s “Screenplay” and waiting for "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by William Goldman, "The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri and "Making a Good Script Great" by Linda Seeger. I’ve also printed some screenplays off the internet and have started reading and studying them.

I have a couple of requests and questions:

• Can someone recommend a book that addresses themes/thematic elements in film?
  • Is there any free script writing software packages on the internet worth using?
  • What is your opinion about entering the many screenplay contests out there?

movieman

I'm not sure about the first question, but 'Story' by Robert McKee is by far my favorite screenwriting book.

Celtx is free. I haven't really used it, but some people who have say it's quite usable. That's from www.celtx.com.

Winning a screenwriting contest should at least get your name out there, so I can't see a reason not to enter. That said, I can't think of any specific examples of people selling scripts that way.

mammamaia

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so you can email me for my 'tools of the trade' list, if you want my recommendations, tips from the pros, or help along the way...

there is some freeware that others find useful enough... go to www.imdb.com and check out the threads on the subject, for comparative feedback...

when/if you get serious about writing for the screen, you should save up for final draft... it's the best there is... and used by more pros in the biz than the other formatting programs... fyi, ms word has a good screeplay formatting download...

generally speaking, competitions are not worth the time/effort/money to enter... the only three that can give you a big boost are the chesterfield, the nicholl, and the disney... one of them is on hiatus, but i can't remember which...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]