Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi, my name is Francis and I write. (1 Viewer)

FrancisD

It’s grey out there, grey, damp and drizzling. Even the sheep look pissed off. My neighbour eyes me suspiciously, wondering no doubt if my journey is essential.

“Morning Pete,” I say.

“Francis, alright?” His head bobs up in enquiry.

“Just off for my daily exercise,” I inform him, heading his doubt off at the pass.

I head up the hill to the woods in my old 4x4. My little companion seems to be able to catch my eye in the rear-view mirror, her little ear pricking up as I drive. I am running permutations of a sentence for my query letter, she figuring how best to catch that one squirrel who seems to haunt her wherever we go.

So, this is how my days start, this walk in the dank dripping woods my sanctuary, I squelch on rather hoping I don’t meet any other dog walkers and have to make small talk.

The contrast between my life and that of my MC couldn’t be starker. He an ex-soldier who accidentally shoots the brother of a London gangster while being a hero, and is now struggling to escape vengeance and the machinations of a bent policemen, without killing too many people, and me, a semiretired ex antique dealer/ therapists/recovering addict who lives in Devon with Ana my wife, my wonderful daughter Emily (who would otherwise be living her life in Bristol were it not for lockdown), who is the smartest person I know, and two lurchers.

This last book, Moonbeam, is a departure for me. The first two novels, one a sequel to the other, had an MC who is a recovering addict operating on the fringes of the antique world. Write what you know they said, so I did. I am pinning my hopes on Moonbeam as a way to get an agent.

Finally, back in the car, a bit puffed from the climb, I anticipate a mug of tea and slices of granary toast dripping with butter and honey. We head back down the lane, the sun now teasing us and raising vapour from the tops of the hedges.

Today I shall join a new writing forum, I promise myself. So here I am. Francis de Aguilar.

druid12000

Welcome from another writer in recovery!

This is a great forum with lots of great folks, so kick off your shoes and relax among friends :grin:

happy-hippie

It’s grey out there, grey, damp and drizzling. Even the sheep look pissed off. My neighbour eyes me suspiciously, wondering no doubt if my journey is essential.

“Morning Pete,” I say.

“Francis, alright?” His head bobs up in enquiry.

“Just off for my daily exercise,” I inform him, heading his doubt off at the pass.

I head up the hill to the woods in my old 4x4. My little companion seems to be able to catch my eye in the rear-view mirror, her little ear pricking up as I drive. I am running permutations of a sentence for my query letter, she figuring how best to catch that one squirrel who seems to haunt her wherever we go.

So, this is how my days start, this walk in the dank dripping woods my sanctuary, I squelch on rather hoping I don’t meet any other dog walkers and have to make small talk.

The contrast between my life and that of my MC couldn’t be starker. He an ex-soldier who accidentally shoots the brother of a London gangster while being a hero, and is now struggling to escape vengeance and the machinations of a bent policemen, without killing too many people, and me, a semiretired ex antique dealer/ therapists/recovering addict who lives in Devon with Ana my wife, my wonderful daughter Emily (who would otherwise be living her life in Bristol were it not for lockdown), who is the smartest person I know, and two lurchers.

This last book, Moonbeam, is a departure for me. The first two novels, one a sequel to the other, had an MC who is a recovering addict operating on the fringes of the antique world. Write what you know they said, so I did. I am pinning my hopes on Moonbeam as a way to get an agent.

Finally, back in the car, a bit puffed from the climb, I anticipate a mug of tea and slices of granary toast dripping with butter and honey. We head back down the lane, the sun now teasing us and raising vapour from the tops of the hedges.

Today I shall join a new writing forum, I promise myself. So here I am. Francis de Aguilar.
Hi Francis,

Just dropping by to say hi and welcome. I enjoyed reading your introduction. I hope to read you around.