Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi! I'm New! (1 Viewer)

MagicGirl33

Hi, everyone! I'm so happy to join this community and write stories among side all of you. I like to write fantasy and realistic fiction as well as inspired stories from my own life / past. I also own and live on a luxury horse stable so many of my stories are horse inspired or related. I do enjoy constructive criticism so feel free to add as much as you want to my page! Thanks - MagicGirl

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm writing a fantasy at the moment and have a question! if you rode a horse for half a day, how far would it get in terms of mileage? I'm trying to decide reasonable distances between towns/cities. I want one ride to be half a day, one to be a day's ride and another to be two days ride. For a horse and rider, what would those distances likely be?

MagicGirl33

It really depends on the how fast the horse goes and what gait? Walk, trot, canter, or gallop? Plus if they take rest stops it would be longer. The world record is 55 mph run by an american quarter horse so that's also something.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
It really depends on the how fast the horse goes and what gait? Walk, trot, canter, or gallop? Plus if they take rest stops it would be longer. The world record is 55 mph run by an american quarter horse so that's also something.
Yeah, but on a long journey, you're not going to gallop right? What would be a sustainable and constant pace for a horse and how far would that horse get in half a day?

MagicGirl33

If the environment is dry and/or hot probably a walk which would move 4 mph so in a have a day only 48 mph. If the environment is less harsh but easy to walk on probably 8-10 mph at a trot or easy canter. If the environment is wet and the round is sinky or squishy, it will take forever. You would never get to where you're going.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
sorry I forgot to mention 8-10 mph in half a day is 96 - 120 miles

If the environment is dry and/or hot probably a walk which would move 4 mph so in a have a day only 48 mph. If the environment is less harsh but easy to walk on probably 8-10 mph at a trot or easy canter. If the environment is wet and the round is sinky or squishy, it will take forever. You would never get to where you're going.
Thanks for these. I'm going to drastically rethink the distances I have LOL. They're far too short.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Authors of Westerns (both novels and screenplays) often utterly ignored the distance versus horse capability issue. :) If you read The Big Country by Donald Hamilton, for example (he went on to write the extensive Matt Helm series), you'd swear the horses must be in trailers being pulled by Jeeps.

I'm always amused when I watch the film (my favorite Western) because in real life, the filming locations for the rival ranches are 450 miles apart. In the film, the ride is part of a morning. :)

MagicGirl33

Oh yeah, I hate it when people screw that up and make the horses gallop the whole 5'000 miles in an hour with no rest stops or breaks. It's annoying.