Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi. I'm Darrell Moneyhon. (1 Viewer)

darrellmoneyhon

I've been writing poetry for nearly 50 years. Never really tried to promote it. As I am getting up in age, I feel an obligation to share them with the world, as a gift to leave behind. But how do you even GIVE poetry away? Few people seem to care about poetry. The title of the first collection of poems that I choose to share is Does It Make A Sound? It is based on the philosophical question about a tree falling in the forest when no one is there to hear it. Chapters made of segments of that philosophical question (If a Tree - Falls - In a Forest - And no One is There - To Hear It )
I'm hoping to get tips on how I can most successfully give this gift to as many people as possible in a world that is not yet hungry for poetic insights.
I have not yet even submitted the text here (Have to go off to work now, as a school bus driver supplementing my retirement income as a counselor), but am looking forward to ASAP.
Thanks,
Darrell

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I've been writing poetry for nearly 50 years. Never really tried to promote it. As I am getting up in age, I feel an obligation to share them with the world, as a gift to leave behind. But how do you even GIVE poetry away?
H Darrell, welcome to WF. We have an active community of Poets here who would LOVE to read your work.

As a new member you can share your poetry to our Poets' Showcase forum now.

Once you have made ten posts you can either start a WF Blog
where many members share their poetry and I will show you how to format so all your poems appear in one collection over different pages.

I promote work posted to the blog to a wider audience.

You will also have access to the WF Workshops where you can work with other poets to give and receive critique

and enter the WF Monthly poetry challenge

Alternatively, if you want immediate access to these areas just upgrade your account with a small donation

This allows WF to stay add free :)

Anyways, any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to reading your work :)

ritudimrinautiyal

Welcome Darrell.
It's great that you have been writing poetry for last fifty years, that is quite a journey of writing. I myself joined here, just few months back and the way my work was being critiqued, guided, helped here, I just feel it remarkable, for the genuine efforts and concern by the mentors and the members here. I hope you too find that satisfaction here.

Look forward to reading your poetry here,

Ritu

Last edited:

darrellmoneyhon

Good question. Mainly to share, as regards the collection Does it Make a Sound? Have been processing those particular poems so long and care-full-y that I'm not open to changing them. Still, I would appreciate impressions, general feedback like favorites from the collection. Or feedback about specific poems in it: "It resonated." "Didn't resonate." "Good imagery." "Not enough imagery." "A bit too didactic for my taste, but a good message." Etc.

Here's the collection's intro: Note how the question of "I" is addressed:

Introduction (to a nearly lost art form)

Does anyone have ears for poetry these days? As a person who has been writing poetry for around 50 years now, I often feel that my art is a “tree” that falls in a forest when no one is there to hear it. Do my poems even make a sound? Sometimes, I wonder if my poems will ever be heard.

But then I recall how a small circle of loved-ones and friends actually have heard the sounds. I’m hoping you too will hear, feel the vibrations of something “going down” in the forest of consciousness.

Supposedly, something’s wrong with these poems. Last I heard, good poetry shouldn’t have “I” in it. It is supposed to indicate a subjective awareness without opening the stage door to the poet behind the play. Rightly or wrongly, I reject and (often) break this “rule.”

Here’s why. To me, poetry is not just an art (which risks being artificial); it is a poetic journaling of being. And authentic being is, for whatever reason, offered to me as a “me” or an “I.” I can’t speak for someone else’s experiences. I need to mind my own business of being. Perhaps then, something totally transcendent of individual being will naturally emanate from “this little light of mine.”

Philosopher John Dewey wrote a book called Art as Experience. Along that same line of thought, I believe that poetry should be for life, not just for art. If poetry is for life, it will sincerely strive to enhance life/being by sharing revelatory experiences.

This collection of poems-for-life is free; my heart and soul could not afford to charge people for them. If you enjoy them, that’s payment enough. If they add something healthy and good to your being, I’ve hit the jackpot!

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, I am up for sharing poems in progress and getting critiques and suggestions for those new works.

Thanks,
Darrell

darrellmoneyhon

H Darrell, welcome to WF. We have an active community of Poets here who would LOVE to read your work.

As a new member you can share your poetry to our Poets' Showcase forum now.

Once you have made ten posts you can either start a WF Blog
where many members share their poetry and I will show you how to format so all your poems appear in one collection over different pages.

I promote work posted to the blog to a wider audience.

You will also have access to the WF Workshops where you can work with other poets to give and receive critique

and enter the WF Monthly poetry challenge

Alternatively, if you want immediate access to these areas just upgrade your account with a small donation

This allows WF to stay add free :)

Anyways, any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to reading your work :)

darrellmoneyhon

Thanks, That info was helpful. I'll make a few more posts, probably individual poems from the collection, Does it Make a Sound? , and later try to share the whole collection. I certainly wouldn't mind donating to this cause, since it seems oriented to helping people actualize their potential. I am currently working another "definition" poem. So far, just a first draft.

I've written a few definition poems previously. An interesting exercise. A definition poem is made by choosing words with 3 alternate meanings, using Webster Dictionary definitions for each of the 3 sections of each poem. Then I attempt to weave the meanings together by means of shared metaphors, etc. The definitions form different poetic lenses, frames of references. The hope is that a kind of oneness emerges from the "many" (in this case, 3).

darrell

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Thanks, That info was helpful. I'll make a few more posts, probably individual poems from the collection, Does it Make a Sound? , and later try to share the whole collection. I certainly wouldn't mind donating to this cause, since it seems oriented to helping people actualize their potential.
Darrell,

Yes, our aim is to give writers an ad-free platform to share their work and interact with other writers so we do rely on donations to keep the cogs turning. Thank you.

I've written a few definition poems previously. An interesting exercise. A definition poem is made by choosing words with 3 alternate meanings, using Webster Dictionary definitions for each of the 3 sections of each poem. Then I attempt to weave the meanings together by means of shared metaphors, etc. The definitions form different poetic lenses, frames of references. The hope is that a kind of oneness emerges from the "many" (in this case, 3).
This sounds complex! Please send me a notification when you share the definition poem. I am intrigued.

Hi, I'm new here, I want to learn something new from your forum and share something of my own!!!
Dear Derrell, please share your poems anywhere, post them everywhere, drop them off here. I'm sure you're very talented, I'd love to read them! 🤗