Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi, I'm Brandi (1 Viewer)

NajaNoir

Hello Everyone!

Hi, my name is Brandi. I’m 43 years young, or old, depending on the mood of the day. A New Yorker with a West Coast state of mind, who is fairly new to writing. I’ve written a few short stories, with numerous ideas for more, but so far they remain just that...an idea.

I want to say that I’m an optimist when it comes to what I am writing, but that is far from the truth. The truth is, no matter how badly I want it. Nor how much I believe my character deserves it, I simply seem to be unable to write a happy ending. I end up with a sort of tunnel vision, last stop dystopia. Though I do think that losing a beloved character is acceptable, I’d really like to see some of them make it out in the end. Also, I get very attached and have a hard time letting go of the story and we are talking short stories here. I’d really like to improve on these things. Not to mention the typical grammar mistakes, my love affair with the extra comma, learning to take criticism (big one) etc...

My love of reading is a huge part of why I decided to pick up my own pen: Science-fiction, Poetry, History, Science, Fantasy, I’ll read pretty much anything that I can get my hands on. I am however easily agitated if things don’t go the way I want them to and just as happy to put a book down as I am to pick it up. That might be why I suddenly got the bright idea to try and become a writer myself.

My favorite authors, (those I’ll never put down for long) I’ll read anything by them at least once, are: Stephen King. Haruki Murkami. Isaac Asimov. Jane Austen. William Shakespeare

I am not a fan of social media. I prefer dogs, but ended up with cats. Also, I dislike the colors lilac and puce.

I look forward to being here.

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Welcome aboard, NajaNoir. When you say 'unhappy' ending, what do you mean? I ask because it depends on the context. In a world full of horrors, sometimes less of a horror can be a happy ending.

NajaNoir

Welcome aboard, NajaNoir. When you say 'unhappy' ending, what do you mean? I ask because it depends on the context. In a world full of horrors, sometimes less of a horror can be a happy ending.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, I agree with you. And, it is possible that bittersweet would have been the better thing to say. I wouldn't want to live in that kind of world either

I kill most of them. In my mind they are dead. Though in a couple I did try and leave it up to interpretation. Another gets wiped of his memories. That guy had been so miserable though, I think he's better off.

Usually I see their end before even trying to write the story. I see one, this guy is going to live, and happily, but I can't seem to get him there. It's like I can only get from point a to point b, if there is no happily ever after.

TL Murphy

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
Hi Brandi. Write what you feel. Write what is real. Don't try to write happy endings if it feels inauthentic. The work will just feel contrived. Happiness is overrated.

If you have trouble letting go of a story, then it probably isn't ready yet. The writer in you will know. I can tell by your intro that you have the skills. Share some work and try different forums. Once you get into the workshops you'll find all kinds of advice. It's up to you what you use and what you don't.
I usually hang out in Poetry and Lyrics Workshop. Hope to see you around.

NajaNoir

Hi Brandi. Write what you feel. Write what is real. Don't try to write happy endings if it feels inauthentic. The work will just feel contrived. Happiness is overrated.

If you have trouble letting go of a story, then it probably isn't ready yet. The writer in you will know. I can tell by your intro that you have the skills. Share some work and try different forums. Once you get into the workshops you'll find all kinds of advice. It's up to you what you use and what you don't.
I usually hang out in Poetry and Lyrics Workshop. Hope to see you around.
I think that’s what I’m afraid of. That I am not finished with a few of them.

I plan to learn my way around the forums and contribute where I can. Once I have the chance, I’ll be sharing some of my own work. Scary thought though. But ultimately, I want to know how to improve.

Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome.