Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

hi Hello (2 Viewers)

ablelaz

Hi Gang---I’m a seventy year old retired maintenance mechanic, from the frozen north, (Canada that is.) I’m dyslectic, although I didn’t realize it until I was twenty one or two. At first it was thought, I was just plain stupid; you know a card short of a deck or a brick short of a load, I’ve heard them all, never face to face, but you know the word gets around.
I set out on a mission to educate those peers of mine that thought it was a good idea to flaunt it in my face. The results were that most people learned rather quickly that it was not a good subject to discuss in my presents. Mind you I didn’t change many minds, but it did make me a pretty fair fighter.
I joined the navy and was lucky enough to be included into the shipwright program. I was about three years into the program, when an instructor asked me to submit to a series of tests. As a result of the tests, I was told I was dyslectic. This is a brain disorder that affects ones ability to perceive letter, numbers, or both. Luckily in my case it affected only letters. I was further told I was proficient in the mechanical aspects of my trade, but I would have to get my credits for grade twelve English Literature. Well to make a long story shorter I got my credit for English Literature and came out of the navy after seven years, with a shipwright’s certificate.
I have always thought I could tell a pretty good story, so with the advent of the computer with its spell and punctuation check; I set out to write a novel. My motivation was just to prove I could write an entertaining story. The subject I chose to write about was the western, probably because that was always my favorite read. I think my novel has passed the entire test I submitted it to; I have however, never tried to marketer it.
I now have twelve or thirteen short stories ranging in length from two thousand to seven thousand words, mostly what I call outdoor adventure, with a couple of attempts at humor and even a ghost story.
Well that’s about it, I write for my own amusement, for the most part, but who know some day I my have a try at marketing them.
Talk to you soon---ablelaz.