Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi from Dee (1 Viewer)

dee

Dee here. Having written a series of successful, self-published manuals on urban survival (credit, debt, privacy, etc) I would not describe myself as a writer.

My bright idea was to merge parts of my manuals into novel format. The plot seemed easy enough, plenty of real characters to choose from, material ready and waiting, so let’s weave it all together. Then I met with a prospective agent who reviewed a couple of chapters and responded as I honestly expected she should; enormous scope, she promised, but not for me; I should stick with what works, non-fiction.

No problem, events took a turn, I canned the project, became an expat, and 25 years later lockdown boredom prompted me to dust it off. Now I play with Mon£y, adding the odd word or removing a comma, with no expectation toward serious progress, more because it’s there.

Why did I join you? I don’t know, never been with an online writers group before, perhaps to rub shoulders with people who know what they’re doing.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
You're in good company. Lots of us didn't start writing books until, let's just say, some time had passed. ;-) You'll fit right in. Welcome.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome Dee!
I wonder - dystopian fiction is pretty hot these days, maybe you can write a story about a family or neighborhood surviving a catastrophe of some sort and use your knowledge of survival methods and skills?
Would that work for you?

dee

Welcome Dee!
I wonder - dystopian fiction is pretty hot these days, maybe you can write a story about a family or neighborhood surviving a catastrophe of some sort and use your knowledge of survival methods and skills?
Would that work for you?
Ah, urban survival as in navigating a demanding bureaucratic/financial system...I wouldn't last long in any dystopian future that calls for rolled-up sleeves.