Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi from a newbie writer in Oregon (1 Viewer)

I'm an amateur writer with nothing much published; just a few poems here and there and several articles in my college paper. My "Great First Novel" :-k has been collecting dust for a while, currently at 30,472 words.

I had an epiphany today (in the shower, as usual), and realized that I write best when I have help and support, usually in the form of a best friend. All the short stories I've written over the years, even as far back as the emotional shock-style science fiction I wrote in grade school, were written when I had someone very close to me to bounce ideas off of; to criticize or praise my prose. It's a two-way street, of course; I always strive to help and support my friends.

When I started my novel I had a dear friend's support and a message board of like-minded folks, but now the message board is shut down and the friend and I are not as close--she's just too busy to be my patient muse, not that I blame her.

Support has always helped me, and I hope that I can find that here. I even hope to find an actual, in-person, flesh-and-blood-in-a-coffee-shop writer's group here in Southern Oregon, but no luck so far. In any case, this website promises to be interesting and informative, and I look forward to meeting fellow writers.