Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hi every one! (1 Viewer)

Tree

Hi everyone! My name is Garrett and over the past 4-5 years I have fallen into somewhat of an obsession for reading. I have been creating fantastical worlds in my head in order to escape the negatives aspects of my environment for almost my entire life. It is only recently have I truly started to realize this. So, for some time now it has been a dream of mine to write a novel. This is a goal that I have decided to completely commit to. Honestly, I'm writing this introduction more as a way to further commit myself and to just practice writing rather than introduce myself. I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy and there is always a risk of failure when embarking on a journey like this. The worst thing I can do is give up before I start.

It is a bit ironic that writing a book would be a major ambition of mine. Without going into much detail, due to all sorts of learning plans and special accommodations made for me during my youth, I have at most a 6th grade education in English, the rest is self learned. I have no doubt whatsoever that my grammar, spelling, and other fundamental writing elements that I am showcasing thought this post are absolutely atrocious to most of you. I do not believe that I am incapable of learning the necessary knowledge needed to share the incredibly rich and vibrant worlds inside my theater of mind. I did not come seeking pity or sympathy, rather in order to self learn and make up for some lost time.

About a year ago someone gave me a piece of advice that I have found quite profound that I will paraphrase here. "Just start writing man. Create a short story in a world you don't care about. Its going to suck and will for quite some time. Don't let that stop you and keep going and practice." So I am going to post my work here as I learn in order for it to be criticized in picked over. I fully expect it to be hot garbage for a long time, but how can you fix something if you don't know why its bad to begin with!

Thank you for reading my short passage and its my hope this is the first step to realizing my goal. I am most certainly looking forward to getting to know y'all and I hope you have a fantastic day!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hey, Garrett! I'm so glad you're here.

First, don't let your past pigeonhole you and don't try to live there. Compared to that time, you're now Future You and I think that the reading you've done is going to show itself helpful.

Second, if your introduction is anything to go by your grammar and spelling look competent. My sixth-grade daughter writes very well so if you've gotten that far and you're still learning, that's workable!

So don't feel like you come in here at a disadvantage. We love having you here and the idea is for everyone to help each other.

Welcome. :)

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Hi everyone! My name is Garrett and over the past 4-5 years I have fallen into somewhat of an obsession for reading. I have been creating fantastical worlds in my head in order to escape the negatives aspects of my environment for almost my entire life. It is only recently have I truly started to realize this. So, for some time now it has been a dream of mine to write a novel. This is a goal that I have decided to completely commit to. Honestly, I'm writing this introduction more as a way to further commit myself and to just practice writing rather than introduce myself. I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy and there is always a risk of failure when embarking on a journey like this. The worst thing I can do is give up before I start.

It is a bit ironic that writing a book would be a major ambition of mine. Without going into much detail, due to all sorts of learning plans and special accommodations made for me during my youth, I have at most a 6th grade education in English, the rest is self learned. I have no doubt whatsoever that my grammar, spelling, and other fundamental writing elements that I am showcasing thought this post are absolutely atrocious to most of you. I do not believe that I am incapable of learning the necessary knowledge needed to share the incredibly rich and vibrant worlds inside my theater of mind. I did not come seeking pity or sympathy, rather in order to self learn and make up for some lost time.

About a year ago someone gave me a piece of advice that I have found quite profound that I will paraphrase here. "Just start writing man. Create a short story in a world you don't care about. Its going to suck and will for quite some time. Don't let that stop you and keep going and practice." So I am going to post my work here as I learn in order for it to be criticized in picked over. I fully expect it to be hot garbage for a long time, but how can you fix something if you don't know why its bad to begin with!

Thank you for reading my short passage and its my hope this is the first step to realizing my goal. I am most certainly looking forward to getting to know y'all and I hope you have a fantastic day!

I don't normally reply twice but I've decided to. The writing here shows a competent writer, and that bolded shows a writer that understands individualism. That's YOU, right there. That's the voice to seek out and learn to play with. On the subject of novels, I'd highly recommend short stories to begin with. Writing is a painful process of high delight followed by a waste paper bin full of crumpled paper. You'll need lots of patience and a room full of waste paper bins for a novel. If anything will stop you moving forward, that will. On the other hand, short stories are difficult to write but don't require so much real-estate for garbage storage.

Keep it manageable. Keep yourself sane.

Tree

As much as I would love to take credit for that line it, some one said that to me a while ago in a conversation and it just really stuck with me.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
I have no doubt whatsoever that my grammar, spelling, and other fundamental writing elements that I am showcasing thought this post are absolutely atrocious to most of you.

I'll concur with the other responses. Your post was well written and engaging. However, the willingness to continue to learn is essential for writers. Everyone on this forum, no matter how experienced, is seeking to learn more. Welcome to our quest. :)

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
As much as I would love to take credit for that line it, some one said that to me a while ago in a conversation and it just really stuck with me.

You should take credit for it. All you've done is what good writers do. You've 'listened' and made a mental note. The more you write, the more you'll do that and pretty soon, you'll be sipping tea and wondering what else can be likened to the taste, or you'll be watching someone and trying to figure out what animal they resemble. It'll either put you behind a lectern or behind bars.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Its crazy how just a little bit of validation can really add a lot of motivation. Thanks every one for the warm welcome!

You might be surprised to learn that many name authors with extensive bibliographies remain insecure with each session at the keyboard. It's a common experience in our obsession. :) We all crave as many pats on the back as we can gather in. And yes, each one feeds the urge to write some more.

You write much better than you think...and we all have room to grow...Welcome.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm glad that you've found this place; you can see by the previous responses that WF is a great supportive environment.

The pleasure reading you've already done will help you more than any how-to book on writing out there. From reading novels you develop a sense of rhythm that can't be taught in grammar books. Go for it!

My advice is to treat your writing like a job. Dedicate several hours everyday to it; what you work toward you will achieve.

druid12000

Welcome!

It sounds like you've already made a good start on the writing path. Ideas and worlds in our heads are the lifeblood of a writer, IMO.

This is a great place to learn and there's plenty of wonderful folks, so take full advantage!

Moose.H

Welcome aboard - When to become a writer is different for everyone but remains similar in that each wants to tell their story. A friend told me that it is because you are looking for a certain tale to read but no one is telling it for you and you need to fill the gap.

There are some great pieces of advice and some incredible people on this site. But every book is a journey. With my poor English that journey tends towards taking unpaved roads....