Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hey there (1 Viewer)

CatOfNoir

Not really good with introductions, I've never been really. But here I am, I'm a 25 year old guy that's a bit down on his luck right now (Life circumstances) and I have a love and hate relationship with writing. I struggle with the writing process a lot and though I've been writing for a few years now, I haven't seen any real growth. I've wrote dozens of horror/dark thriller flash fiction, but none of them are really worth anything. I was debating on if I should even bother joining, but I thought "What the heck..." I'm hoping to learn how to become a better writer and maybe have a few people read some of my stuff, so they can offer some critiques. Hopefully doing so will help me realize the flaws that are pervasive in my stories. I look forward to perusing this forums!

TheMightyAz

Mentor
You've come to the right place, CatOfNoir. You need 10 post to post in the Fiction Workshop (where you can post one of your flash fiction stories), but you can post a paragraph or two in my Craft help thread in the discussion section. All you need to become a better writer is a thick skin. And welcome aboard!

CatOfNoir

You've come to the right place, CatOfNoir. You need 10 post to post in the Fiction Workshop (where you can post one of your flash fiction stories), but you can post a paragraph or two in my Craft help thread in the discussion section. All you need to become a better writer is a thick skin. And welcome aboard!

Ohh okay, I already posted a story in the Fiction showcase section earlier. I'll work on getting those 10 posts, so I can add it to the workshop sub :). Thanks for the welcome.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Ohh okay, I already posted a story in the Fiction showcase section earlier. I'll work on getting those 10 posts, so I can add it to the workshop sub :). Thanks for the welcome.
I'm going through your snippet at the moment. :) Give me a bit. A bit of 'thick skin' testing ... lol

Lawless

love and hate relationship with writing. I struggle with the writing process a lot and though I've been writing for a few years now, I haven't seen any real growth.
Is it possible that you:
a) play it by ear too much, so it would be helpful to try to plan ahead more, to have a better overview of what you're trying to achieve and how to get there;
b) try to achieve something too big and too complicated instead of getting some success experiences with smaller and simpler things first?
(Both my life-long flaws.)

CatOfNoir

Is it possible that you:
a) play it by ear too much, so it would be helpful to try to plan ahead more, to have a better overview of what you're trying to achieve and how to get there;
b) try to achieve something too big and too complicated instead of getting some success experiences with smaller and simpler things first?
(Both my life-long flaws.)

I do think that I should probably plan a little bit more. I don't really attempt big ideas. I'm actually quite scared of trying which is why I mostly stick to flash fiction. I figure I'd start small and work my way up. I know flash fiction is a different beast than novellas or novels entirely, but I figure it could help me be more concise overall.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
If you don't already - start reading A LOT. I believe that's the second best way to learn, of course the best way is to write. Receiving feedback is important too, and taking a class is a good way to get that, but don't hang your future on other people's beliefs and ideas. You have a voice, but it may take awhile to find it, be patient and kind to yourself. Also look online if there are writer's guilds in your area, if so, join.

A large part of success (in anything) is diligence, set aside hours to write on a regular basis, and stick to it. You have stories inside you, let them out.