Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hey there! (1 Viewer)

MelinaTheWriter

Hello to everyone, I'm Melina and I have loved writing for as long as I can remember. I decided to commit to a creative life over a year ago have been seeing the writing a bit more seriously since. I have self-published one book in German and am currently working on a new one in English. I am happy with writing and publishing independently but the one downside is that you have to do everything yourself, including editing, reviewing and such. I thought some exchange with fellow writers might help the process and am looking forward to browsing, and publishing on here occasionally :)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on the first book. I am envious that you can write in two languages. What genre do you like to write?

MelinaTheWriter

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on the first book. I am envious that you can write in two languages. What genre do you like to write?
Thank you :) I guess I write fantasy mostly, although I don't really like putting labels on it so much, I find my stuff is a bit in between sometimes. However, my novel is listed as fantasy, so yeah.

German is my mother language but as I am living with an english speaking person and for the purpose of being understood by more people I am trying English. I'd say my English is quite good but I don't know what a native speaker would think about my text, so I'm not claiming to write just like a English speaking person or anything like that 😃 Punctuation is still to be improved!

Steve_Rivers

Hey Melina, welcome to the forums! My writing partner is German and I helped her self-publish her first book in English, so I totally have a tiny, minuscule idea of what it must feel like for you. I'm in awe of anyone that's brave enough to write a book in a second language, I doubt I could do it myself.

She was very much in your position with not knowing how 'native' her writing voice sounded, but now she is really confident (That's the bit I claim credit for, hehe). She also knows lots of silly and obscure English words that make her sound like an eccentric crackpot Englishman... I can't imagine where she got those from....

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
German is my mother language but as I am living with an english speaking person and for the purpose of being understood by more people I am trying English. I'd say my English is quite good but I don't know what a native speaker would think about my text, so I'm not claiming to write just like a English speaking person or anything like that 😃 Punctuation is still to be improved!
If these two posts are representative, your English is quite natural. :)

MelinaTheWriter

Hey Melina, welcome to the forums! My writing partner is German and I helped her self-publish her first book in English, so I totally have a tiny, minuscule idea of what it must feel like for you. I'm in awe of anyone that's brave enough to write a book in a second language, I doubt I could do it myself.

She was very much in your position with not knowing how 'native' her writing voice sounded, but now she is really confident (That's the bit I claim credit for, hehe). She also knows lots of silly and obscure English words that make her sound like an eccentric crackpot Englishman... I can't imagine where she got those from....
Oh, good to hear I'm not the only one! That gives me hope it might work out for me too. And there's nothing wrong with sounding like an eccentric crackpot Englishman :)

MelinaTheWriter

Hi Melina! We're glad to have you here! In Germany, what platform do you use to self publish? Over here (USA) Amazon.com is the most frequented way to go.
In Germany there is Epubli, which is the one I used. It is very convenient as you don't actually have any expanses as the author (except giving them a share of every sale). There is another popular one called BookOnDemand, I'm not sure if that's also known in the US, but it is more of a whole package thing so you have to pay quite a lot.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
In Germany there is Epubli, which is the one I used. It is very convenient as you don't actually have any expanses as the author (except giving them a share of every sale). There is another popular one called BookOnDemand, I'm not sure if that's also known in the US, but it is more of a whole package thing so you have to pay quite a lot.
That's interesting. Amazon works in a similar way - no cost to the author but they take a cut of the profit. That works for me.

If you decided to publish your book in the US, you might take a look at Amazon.