Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hey all. I'm Amanda. (1 Viewer)

badgummy

Friends of WF
My name is Amanda. I am a young writer of 25. I have written various things throughout my life and have always dreamed of writing a novel(s) someday. I've recently been inspired to try writing again after a long time of not following my dreams. I have had some very unique experiences in my young life. I grew up around much mental illness, a cult religion, and various other unique experiences. It's been a far-fetched goal to write and reach other young people who may be going through things that I went through. I came out of tough times and rough teenage years. By determination, though, I cleaned myself up. I'm ambitious, happy, and willing to reach for my dreams and bucket list.

I researched some writing groups and came upon this website on a top 10 list. I'm really just starting and need some inspiration. I need the motivation to write, maybe some challenges to get that muscle going. I am a bit insecure when it comes to my writing and has rarely shown my personal story to anyone. However, I also know that I have to get used to an audience and criticism if I become a published author. I'm hoping that my time here can help me get myself up and running and willing to share to get feedback.

It's odd to actually take a step towards something you daydream out of a window about. I am open to any suggestions on getting started or conversation. I would love to make some writer friends here. I look forward to getting to know some of you, and I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to get started.

Sincerely,
Amanda

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Sounds like you have some rich material, and I can already tell by this post that you have some serious talent!

I'm writing my first novel. I came here about a year ago and started with the Writing Discussion:

You can also post your work for feedback on the Fiction Workshop:

You'll get great feedback here.

Welcome to the forum...I look forward to reading your work/posts and getting to know you.

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

It's definitely good to get over that hump of having other people read and assess your work, especially since the feeling lessens the more you do it. I'd recommend doing some flash fiction to build up your confidence. That way, you won't have too much text to worry over when it gets critiqued, and it will get you past that hurdle of anxiousness.

I wish I'd thought of doing it that way when I first started, heh. :)

Make sure to reach around and pat yourself on the back, Amanda. Setting a goal and going out and doing it are two very different things, so good on you.

Welcome to the forums!

badgummy

Friends of WF
Sounds like you have some rich material, and I can already tell by this post that you have some serious talent!

I'm writing my first novel. I came here about a year ago and started with the Writing Discussion:

You can also post your work for feedback on the Fiction Workshop:

You'll get great feedback here.

Welcome to the forum...I look forward to reading your work/posts and getting to know you.
Thank you so much for the tips! I will definitely join those groups. Looking forward to collaborating:)

badgummy

Friends of WF
It's definitely good to get over that hump of having other people read and assess your work, especially since the feeling lessens the more you do it. I'd recommend doing some flash fiction to build up your confidence. That way, you won't have too much text to worry over when it gets critiqued, and it will get you past that hurdle of anxiousness.

I wish I'd thought of doing it that way when I first started, heh. :)

Make sure to reach around and pat yourself on the back, Amanda. Setting a goal and going out and doing it are two very different things, so good on you.

Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the advice, I will look into it!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
It's odd to actually take a step towards something you daydream out of a window about. I am open to any suggestions on getting started or conversation. I would love to make some writer friends here. I look forward to getting to know some of you, and I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to get started.

Sincerely,
Amanda
Hi Amanda, welcome to WF. We are a friendly and supportive group so you will find plenty of writing friends here.

Have you ever tried to write a 100-word story? We are organising a fun challenge for National Flash Fiction Day

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My name is Amanda. I am a young writer of 25. I have written various things throughout my life and have always dreamed of writing a novel(s) someday. I've recently been inspired to try writing again after a long time of not following my dreams. I have had some very unique experiences in my young life. I grew up around much mental illness, a cult religion, and various other unique experiences. It's been a far-fetched goal to write and reach other young people who may be going through things that I went through. I came out of tough times and rough teenage years. By determination, though, I cleaned myself up. I'm ambitious, happy, and willing to reach for my dreams and bucket list.

I researched some writing groups and came upon this website on a top 10 list. I'm really just starting and need some inspiration. I need the motivation to write, maybe some challenges to get that muscle going. I am a bit insecure when it comes to my writing and has rarely shown my personal story to anyone. However, I also know that I have to get used to an audience and criticism if I become a published author. I'm hoping that my time here can help me get myself up and running and willing to share to get feedback.

Sincerely,
Amanda
Like you I had an interesting young life. My parents were criminals, they spent years in prison, and I went through juvenile hall, foster care, and finally lived on the street for several years.
My first two books were about that, and writing them was cathartic.
When you’re ready tell your story, the world needs to hear it.

badgummy

Friends of WF
Like you I had an interesting young life. My parents were criminals, they spent years in prison, and I went through juvenile hall, foster care, and finally lived on the street for several years.
My first two books were about that, and writing them was cathartic.
When you’re ready tell your story, the world needs to hear it.
I'm glad you were able to write about your experience. Crazy childhoods are hard and extremely specific to that individual; I'm sure the level of emotion in your books is soul clenching. It is a pretty therapeutic and liberating feeling to get those boxed-up stories out. I feel so much detail of my experiences come back to me as I let the words out. Thank you so much for the encouraging words.

ritudimrinautiyal

Hi Amanda
Welcome. You are so young and you are already in right direction, which is really good. Would love to read your work in fiction workshops.
Looking forward to that.
Good luck

Ritu

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Hello and welcome! You seem like you're in a good place, and I applaud you for what you've overcome.

We also have some things in common. :) I'm 26, have just started writing after not doing so for a chunk of my life, am decently new here, and also found this place on a list of top ten writing forums hah. I'm also often insecure when it comes to my work, but I'm almost positive at this point that it's a given to be a little anxious as a writer. It's a good thing I think- it means we care.

Putting yourself out there is half the battle and you'll likely get a lot of good out of being here. I have, and it's only been a few weeks or so since I've joined. There's also been a significant increase in my productivity when it comes to writing after joining the forums, so I think you'll also find plenty of the motivation that you're looking for.