Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

hey all....gonna write an epic... (1 Viewer)

bwhite55

yeah, i intro'd myself in the introduction forum, but was comin here to get more specific help. i've never written before, but i've got ideas and stuff just goin through my head and i wanna write an epic to eventually get put on the big screen...i know how few things actually get made into movies, but i know the ideas i have as far as action scenes, backstories, and soundtrack is good. i just don't know to put it onto paper and stuff. so i was wonderin a few things.

#1: how would i structure it and get all my thoughts down?
#2: what people do i need to find to get it on the drawing board?(computer animators, artists, etc.)
#3: should i write it all by myself or have a couple people help me with ideas?

any recommendations on getting inspiration, advice on writing, etc would be most helpful.

ProudestMonkey

1.) It all depends on how your mind works. If you need a long, extensive outline then make one. If you need to write summaries with beginnings, middles, and ends - do that! And so on and so forth.
2.) First see if you can write it, the worry about all that stuff.
3.) If you need help, then by all means ask for it.

Just write it the best you can, get all of your ideas worked out, know what you are trying to achieve, and do everything you possibly can to help better the story.

mammamaia

#1: how would i structure it and get all my thoughts down?

...first, all you have to do is just write down whatever's in your head... then you gotta study the basics of screenwriting and learn how to develop the ideas into a plot and write a professional quality script... the latter parts of which will take years to get good enough at it to turn out something that has any chance of being sold...

#2: what people do i need to find to get it on the drawing board?(computer animators, artists, etc.)

...all you need is a screenwriter, since you seem to not be one... you don't need any artists, et al., because all of that comes after the screenplay is written and is taken care of by the producers and director...

#3: should i write it all by myself or have a couple people help me with ideas?
...doesn't sound as if you can... see notes above on that... and if you don't have all the ideas you need for developing a whole script, a couple or a dozen people wont be much help... plus, could end up making a mess of what you want this to be...

what you probably need first and most, is one single, savvy collaborator who can write a marketable screenplay and won't screw you out of it, if it's as great a concept as you seem to think it is...

for starters, why don't you email me and i'll send you info on the basics of the craft of screenwriting, plus some tips from the pros... and if you want help to learn how to write one, i'll be glad to do that, too...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

Linton Robinson

Write the logline.
Then expand that into a one paragraph synopsis.
Then make that into a one or two page brief of the film.
If you get that far without getting bogged down, try doing a treatment.
If you can't do this...how are you going to work with anybody? And how are you going to write it yourself. They aren't silly exercises: they point to your ability to convey your vision onto paper, either alone or with a tag team.
If you can do it (and none of them are the easiest part of doing a script, believe it or not) then you are in a good position to convey the project to a writer. Even if that writer is yourself.

At that point, pick your favorite scene, or one you think is challenging, or just the one that's picking away at your head while your trying to listen to your boss or make love to your snuggle partner...and write it.
If you don't have a script program, get one. You can't collaborate or create without one. Wel you CAN...you can also push a peanut to Panama with your nose, but.... This need not be anything expensive, there are free and/or cheap templates for Word that do very nicely. I use one myself. I have won about six copies of Final Draft in contests, but just can't get to like it.
If you run into problems, download scripts to look at, read books, ask questions, kidnap famous directors...whatever you need to come to grips with it.
THEN figure out what to do next. Making a film is the proverbial journey of a thousand miles. Pace yourself.

By the way, if you get it written, or even made, you will find that you need a logline and precis and treatment and such to flog it, so none of the first steps will be wasted.

Consider posting the logline and briefs online for people like me to make fun of as you go along.

Good luck.

(Don't tell any producers you have a soundtrack in mind: they'll call security on you.)

mammamaia

By the way, if you get it written, or even made, you will find that you need a logline and precis and treatment and such to flog it,

all you'll need to 'flog' the screenplay is a good logline [25 words or less], a standard 1-page synopsis and a completed, professional-quality, marketable script...

the material needed to promote an actual film is generated by the producers, not the screenwriter...

no need for whatever lin is calling a 'precis'... or for a treatment... unless it's just for you to follow in writing the script...

Linton Robinson

It sounds to me like he IS the producer in one version of this thing. And they still ask for treatments out there. Which is pretty lame, but then I think judging anything by a logline is superlame.

If he's serious about this, it's a good way to start and all that stuff will come in handy.

mammamaia

yes, a few producers might ask to see a treatment, but not the vast majority of them, so it's not necessary imo, to spend time writing one unless you're asked to...

W

WriterDude

What worries me a bit is how it seems he wants to write an epic movie for the big screen, but has no experience at all in writing professionally. Writing a short story for a magazine is hard enough, but a big, epic movie for the big screen? Sorry to say so, but I don't think he can. Please go ahead and try, but be ready for a several rejections. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage him. Far from it, we need all the screenwriters we can get! But as I see it, he might have a bit unrealistic expectations.